St. George or Hamilton??

13cheermom

So we're going to Bermuda in September, with limited time.  Arrive 10:00 am Wednesday and depart 12:00 noon Thursday.  I know it's not enough time but this works for our schedule.  For those that have done it all in Bermuda would you prefer to travel to St. George or Hamilton for the full day?  I know opinions vary but would just like to read some pros and cons on past experiences.  Thanks in advance!

So I don 't mean to hijack this thread but I also don't want to start a new one....we are also interested in one or the other as we are only in Bermuda for one day (I know, not the best way to do it but it is what it is) The other big issue is that we are there on a Sunday-I know that more things will be closed but based on that which would be the better option? We are a group of 12, ages 3-68...we don't all need to do the same thing but I'm in charge of the research lol!

50 minutes ago, KG1924 said:

So I don 't mean to hijack this thread but I also don't want to start a new one....we are also interested in one or the other as we are only in Bermuda for one day (I know, not the best way to do it but it is what it is) The other big issue is that we are there on a Sunday-I know that more things will be closed but based on that which would be the better option? We are a group of 12, ages 3-68...we don't all need to do the same thing but I'm in charge of the research lol!

Most stores will be closed in Hamiltion and St. George's on Sunday. The ferry does not run to St. George's on the weekend. I wouild go to the beach. Or rent a Boston Whaler or some other water activity.  Or visit the caves. Or book an Island tour. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, njhorseman said:

I answered on the thread started by the other poster. 

St. George is the better place for historical interest, Hamilton more modern with better shopping.

Well we enjoy both, so jw since we are there during the week if there was a must do on our first trip to Bermuda?

58 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

Most stores will be closed in Hamiltion and St. George's on Sunday. The ferry does not run to St. George's on the weekend. I wouild go to the beach. Or rent a Boston Whaler or some other water activity.  Or visit the caves. Or book an Island tour. 

Thank you! That's what I keep telling my family but I keep getting over ruled for a beach day. I just saw the updated ferry schedule and saw that the ferries don't go to St. George on Sunday after I posted, not sure how I've missed that!!

Although I wish we weren't there on the weekend and were there for longer then a few hours, at least we can see a bit and then focus on St. George and Hamilton next time back.

1 hour ago, Charles4515 said:

Or book an Island tour.

I agree with Charles-- book a Blue Flag taxi tour and see most of the island. Given that alot of stores will be closed and the ferry wont be running to St Georges, you'd have to get into a cab anyway, might as well see a whole bunch with a knowledgeable guide. You can have them drop you off in Hamilton at the end, spend some time in town and take the ferry back to the Dockyard. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, CILCIANRQTS said:

St. George’s is VERY small and can easily be seen in a couple hours (perhaps less on a Sunday), max.

Hamilton is a major city (for Bermuda) and gets my vote.

I agree. There are lots of nice places to eat and get drinks, shopping, and a National Gallery that costs about $5 entrance fee, which is a newish policy. But all the times we've been, it's been more than worth the $5 to tour the galleries. Also we like Hamilton as we can easily take a bus to the Aquarium, which is a fun jaunt. The Aquarium also has a lovely outdoor area out back with gorgeous views of the ocean, and a small zoo too. I think I just talked myself into going back to the Aquarium and Zoo on our next Bermuda cruise. It's been a while since we've been there, and it is really nice. 

St. George’s is a World Heritage Site. Well worth a visit. In addition to the historic town there are forts like Fort Catherine and there is Tobacco Bay which is known for easy off the beach snorkeling. There are shops and several waterfront restaurants. I always visit St. George’s because it is unique. I sometimes skip Hamilton even when I have time to do both because it is somewhat like my neighborhood on a smaller scale. Hamilton is a business center and shopping area. From Hamilton you can easily get to other places. The population is about 3,800. I don’t vote for either over the other because they are both worth visiting. I can’t see picking Hamilton over St. George’s. If I had one day I would consider it a coin flip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bermuda has actually 27 main islands in habited.

I suggest do more research to find what youall want moist as well come back.

If any golfers this is pure heaven but get your times way before you arrive.