My first cruise - still a month away

FGJones

3 hours ago, CruisingFox27 said:

FG, I did appreciate that but somewhere like that isn't an incentive for most people booking this cruise. 

Yes, I've been thinking through the possible outcomes and Nassau is about the worst case I can think of.

Do you think MSC will reach out to people when they know what's happening? 

I suppose if they move embarkation ports and kick those of us holding USA passports off they would have to let us know but perhaps not if they sub in a different port.  When I booked we were scheduled to call Montego Bay, Jamaica and some months ago it was quietly changed to Ocho Rios, Jamaica on my booking.  Hopefully they recognize losing Cuba is a much bigger deal and keep us updated every step of the way. 

There are a few postings from people on various forums, who have contacted their respective cruiselines and been advised Cuba will still be a POC. How, I've no idea. If that is the response from a Call centre, I'd be skeptical they yet have an actual position.

There is a significant difference in changing a POC for a similar one in the same region, as you say Montego Bay to Ocho Rios or the recent Amsterdam change. Removing Cuba is a complete destination change.

I did wonder if the departure port could be changed as it appears, it's travel to Cuba directly from the US that is the issue. And US citizens visiting for tourism purposes.  As a UK citizen my ability to travel to Cuba isn't impacted, unless I'm traveling via the US. I don't think.

All of the cruise operators and airlines must now be exploring the options in light of this announcement, hopefully, we will receive an update once they have clarity themselves.

The MSC website is still offering the itinerary but there are no sailing dates after June, on my availabilty anyway.

Edited by CruisingFox27

7 minutes ago, CruisingFox27 said:

There are a few postings from people on various forums, who have contacted their respective cruiselines and been advised Cuba will still be a POC. How, I've no idea. If that is the response from a Call centre, I'd be skeptical they yet have an actual position.

The situation is disappointing but  I think, if it's allowed, calling Havana and having the Cuban entertainers still board for those of us not able to disembark would be one of my preferred solutions.  Maybe.  At this point I don't know what I want.  Not that I have a say in it.

22 minutes ago, CruisingFox27 said:

The MSC website is still offering the itinerary but there are no sailing dates after June, on my availabilty anyway.

On the US website it still lists the future dates.  I'd be surprised/impressed if they had a handle on things so fast.  Although perhaps allowing people to book during this unknown period is a bad idea.  

image.png.b8667230de8ec11c7c574a5f014765e4.png

Oddly enough, MSC UK have just tweeted promoting this itinerary. I have responded to inquire how the itinerary can continue if DDH (Donald and the rude words I'm now using) has rescinded travel to Cuba from the US. I'll be surprised to receive a reply but thought it worth a tweet back.

A very bad idea, unless they have information to suggest travel will still be possible 😕 I am possibly clutching at staws there, I know!

I don't know the in's and out's of Twitter but I believe companies can schedule tweets in advance.  Lets's see if the tweet lasts a few hours without being deleted, then I will clutch straws with you. 😓

• Like 1

Welcome FG, IMO if you are not excited you shouldn't be going.  I have large family and often my siblings join me on my cruise, so we typically have 2-6 cabins, on a budget side of moving large party we drive from DC area, so with stops it takes about 19 hours to Port of Miami.  We skipped skiing and went NCL on Dec, and just got off Seaside two days ago and each time drove 19 hours back and forth on Ford Transit (these are not comfy vans to drive on), yet with excitement, I am starting to prepare for my next cruise.  As for diplomatic BS, things can change in whims.  Spring of 2018, we had booked flights to Istanbul, Nov 2017 Turkey suspended VISA for US citizens then in Jan 2018, it was back on and I was able to get a visa and visit Istanbul.  With prepaid non refundable hotels and tours, I was on a hook for $10k loss but it all worked out. (also having an trip insurance does come in handy.)

Hope you enjoy the cruise, once hooked you will be like me, over look 19 hour drive for a week of bliss in a cruise ship.

Edited by ashank1m