Princess Airport Transfers refund?

foggyphils

When I booked our Alaska cruisetour online, there was a “Transfers” fee of about $86 added on the last checkout page and no way to deselect them. According to our itenerary, these are for airport transfers on embarkation (Vancouver) and the last day of the cruisetour (Fairbanks). However, we have added days to both ends of the tour independently, and Princess says they only do the transfers on the specific arrival/departure days. 

I did the chat thing and they said I couldn’t get a refund or obc. So then I called and they said I would need to get my TA to remove them. 

So bottom line, has anyone been able to get refunds or even OBC for airport transfers they can’t use?

The inability to deselect the transfers when making your booking (I assume by "website" you mean an online TA not the Princess site) would have stopped me dead in my tracks.

But that said if you did book through a TA it is up to them to request Princess remove them beforehand. If they (your TA) decline to claiming it is a mandatory purchase when booking through them, you could try going to the shore excursions desk after boarding in Vancouver, show them the unused vouchers and ask for OBC for their value. Assuming of course what the TA sold you is the actual Princess transfer and not a private one they arrange [and fully profit from] themselves. "About $86" sounds a little low for the total price for two Princess transfers at both start and end of Cruise/tour package--unless you mean $86-ish per person.

• Like 1

One of the issues with on line booking.

Assuming you have not already paid then the answer you were given is the correct one. Call your T.A. and have the transfers removed. If you booked directly with Princess call Princess.

If you have already paid then it's more difficult. Your T.A. or Princess Rep. would have to arrange a refund.

In any case you have to call.

Fishywood- I hear ya. Which is why I did mock booking on the Princess site. And indeed, the charge is on there as well (see pic). The price was a good $1000 cheaper through the online TA so it was worth it to me. I’ll eat the $86 if I have to but seems a bit ridiculous to pay for something I can’t use. 

Skynight - yes I paid already. When I asked about them, I was told it was for land transfers for cruisetours...which I just figured was part of the actual transfers during the  cruisetour. Didn’t realize they were for airport “land” transfers until I got the specific itenerary in the cruise planner. 

427D7629-203B-48A8-A174-C21FCB446114.jpeg

My TA was able to get the airport to Lodge transfer removed for us since we are not flying in to Fairbanks, but it took her escalating to quite a few people to get it done.  Also, I had asked her to try before final payment.  We are staying an extra night in Vancouver so we won't use that transfer either....I guess I will try for OBC once on board.

OK I guess I overthought my response a bit. Looks like those transfers are for ship to start of tour and end of tour to FAI airport. But if any statement in your docs implies you paid for a pre cruise transfer to ship you should be able to get a credit onboard. Beyond that if you booked the extension to your stay in Fairbanks independently it will probably take more effort that it is worth to have your refund request for the ending transfer escalated to someone who can rule on it.

Transfers are included by default on cruisetours (at least in Alaska). My TA had no problem getting them removed (even recommended removing them at FAI). As has been posted on CC in the past, they appear to be completely unnecessary at FAI as the Princess Lodge has a complimentary airport shuttle. 

On our southbound tour last year, we were met the same as everyone else at the airport (as you check-in for cruise tours at FAI, not at the lodge) and sent to the bus with everyone else. No one there cared that our paperwork didn't show transfers included. At Vancouver, we took Skytrain to the airport (which for us was just a connecting point to the shuttle to an airport area hotel where we had left our car; I have no idea if truthfully claiming we weren't flying helped get them removed).