Intl. Transfer time in Miami???

teacherman

We are scheduled to fly from EZE to DTW on AA.  Our transfer is in Miami and it is currently scheduled as 2 hours.  Is this sufficient time?  Would it matter if we had Global Entry or Mobile Passport?  Amy information/advice is welcome.  Thank you.

Miami isn't the best international arrival airport...but it's not the worst (my vote for that, in the US at least, goes to Honolulu.) Global Entry will help a lot, as I flew through immigration at Miami just a couple weeks ago and got from the entrance to immigration to the exit from baggage claim (with carry on) in less than 3 minutes. I don't personally have mobile passport experience.

2-hours should be enough. I assume you are on an early morning arrival, which is pretty busy given the amount of flights that come in from South America. GE helps a lot and should speed things along. The biggest wait sometimes is bags to clear customs and re-check them. 2-hours is enough, but just there on the limit. You won't have much time to spare potentially. 

What time of year and day of the week?  If you are doing this during the peak of cruise season on a Sat/Sun and you arrive late/mid morning you will have a bunch of folks trying to get through security as well. That can add to your time (even with Pre Check).

You should be fine with an arrival that early.  Global Entry does really help cut down the time on getting through Immigration, but then we often find ourselves just waiting for our luggage.   You do have to physically retrieve all of your checked luggage, walk through the Customs checkpoint (they rarely search luggage) and then again turn your checked luggage over to the airline (there is a quick drop for this purpose).    You then need to go back through a TSA Security checkpoint before you can head off to your gate.  If all goes well this entire process can be done in about 45 min to an hour so you should have enough time.

If you would miss your connection, your airline will rebook you onto the next available flight for no extra cost.  The key to all this is what the airlines call the "Minimum Connection Time" or MCT!  The MCTs can be difficult to find online, but you can always call your specific airline and ask them what the MCT is for an International to Domestic connection at MIA.  I suspect it is no more then 1 1/2 hours so you should be fine.  In theory the airline should not book you onto flights that do not meet their own MCT...but that is just theory :).

Hank

I've flown several times from  EZE to Miami,   including again last month.    I was in business,  which gets you to the head of lines.  :)    2 hours  should be enough.    Be prepared to distances if you are flying out of E.  Lucky me,  had the last gate .     Longggg   walk.   :)