Various Gins.

mklions

Hi All,

We will be sailing on the Ovation in a couple of week time and wondered if they have a good assortment of Gins.

In the UK at the moment Gins are vey much in vogue with most pubs and bars selling a large range of different flavours and types.

My wife likes the Gordon's Pink Gin and the new Beefeater Blood Orange Gin) and I wondered if Seabourn have much of a selection on their ships?

Bottoms up!

Mklions.

Mklions - so true.  As a fellow British gin and premium tonic lover I have expressed my view on here and to bar managers on board.  They say they cater to the general tastes of their international market and do not modify stock according to one sector of the market.  I also put it to them that the choice of premium whiskey (malt) and vodka was much greater.   Competitors and even more mass market lines have extensive premium gin menus.  

54 minutes ago, Catlover54 said:

You could BYO, at least a couple bottles, if Hendricks et al do not suit you!

No fee.

I am not sure how buying our own would work to well, as we do not tend to drink in the cabin and carrying a bottle of gin from bar to restaurant to bar each night would be looked upon very strange indeed!

Mklions

• Like 1

Have you requested your choice to Seabourn, I’ve always found them very helpful ?

If not, see the Bar Manager onboard, they will quite often get it onshore for you, (if asked nicely )

I agree, would be nice to see a few more premium Gins and a few flavoured ones too. Love Whitley Neil’s Blood Orange! The big question is, do they have Fever Tree tonic onboard? It does make me laugh though how much we brits love our G and T, just go over to the Azamara boards to see much discussion on this! I will be quite happy with Hendricks and a slice of cucumber or grapefruit with FT.  Logistically I can see it being a bit of a nightmare, various gins, dozens of garnishes and don’t even get me started on the shape of glass to use!! I think our Americans cousins are probably starting to realise how big gin has become in the UK at the moment.

1 hour ago, Lioncub said:

I agree, would be nice to see a few more premium Gins and a few flavoured ones too. Love Whitley Neil’s Blood Orange! The big question is, do they have Fever Tree tonic onboard? It does make me laugh though how much we brits love our G and T, just go over to the Azamara boards to see much discussion on this! I will be quite happy with Hendricks and a slice of cucumber or grapefruit with FT.  Logistically I can see it being a bit of a nightmare, various gins, dozens of garnishes and don’t even get me started on the shape of glass to use!! I think our Americans cousins are probably starting to realise how big gin has become in the UK at the moment.

Again, good luck.  I’ve managed fever tree on special order but they don’t get much in.   Then only the standard sort.   If you want the “perfect serve”, eg Hendricks and cucumber, again, good luck.  Their standard on board tonic is awful. 

On 4/16/2019 at 1:43 PM, mklions said:

I am not sure how buying our own would work to well, as we do not tend to drink in the cabin and carrying a bottle of gin from bar to restaurant to bar each night would be looked upon very strange indeed!

Mklions

You do not need to carry the  bottle from suite to bar, Just leave it in one of the bars and request it wherever you are. They'll serve you from your bottle. I know someone who does that with his preferred single malt scotch.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

Can anyone confirm that Hendricks is available on board please. When I did our alcohol list for our upcoming cruise it was not listed.

Thanks

22 minutes ago, Qld13 said:

Hi

Can anyone confirm that Hendricks is available on board please. When I did our alcohol list for our upcoming cruise it was not listed.

Thanks

Hendrick's was definitely on Encore last month.  I think it's a staple across the fleet.

Hi MightyQuinn

Thanks for your reply, great to hear Hendricks is available, we are going to be on both Odyssey and Encore. On our mini bar set up request I did fill in Hendricks in the 'other' section, hopefully it will get sorted.

15 minutes ago, Qld13 said:

Hi MightyQuinn

Thanks for your reply, great to hear Hendricks is available, we are going to be on both Odyssey and Encore. On our mini bar set up request I did fill in Hendricks in the 'other' section, hopefully it will get sorted.

Hi Qld13.  In my experience, pre-cruise requests sometimes are not in the suite upon boarding.  If that's the case, speak to your stewardess and she'll fulfill your request during evening turn down on the first night.  Hendrick's should definitely not be a problem!

Speak to the bar manager, my wife drinks a non alcoholic gin  Seedlip from London ( Yes it exists) we had it stocked in the Observation Bar , Thomas Keller bar and the Restaurant for our trip on the Encore . Then again we probably had the most pro active manager out there , Sean from South Africa who is now on the Sojourn as far as we know. Ask before you sail by Using your TA to get in contact with the ship before you sail .

On 4/16/2019 at 8:32 PM, mklions said:

My wife likes the Gordon's Pink Gin

If you lived in the UK you'd know that pink gin is made by the barman with normal gin and bitters.

Buying it coloured by Gordons is a waste of money.

I am sure the bar on the boat can give you a pink gin if you ask.

Flavoured gin is the big thing over here at the moment - to take our minds off Brexit and that dreaded Mrs May. But ordinary gin can be given any flavour you want for a few pence.

On 4/16/2019 at 8:47 PM, galeforce9 said:

Mklions - so true.  As a fellow British gin and premium tonic lover I have expressed my view on here and to bar managers on board.  They say they cater to the general tastes of their international market and do not modify stock according to one sector of the market.  I also put it to them that the choice of premium whiskey (malt) and vodka was much greater.   Competitors and even more mass market lines have extensive premium gin menus.  

Quite right about some competitors and mass market lines. For example, Cunard Line ( Queen Victoria & Queen Elizabeth ) have an outstanding 'Gin Bar' offering some 40 Gin menus & Gin cocktails to get through.  (all with Fever Tree ) 😉

On 4/19/2019 at 5:40 PM, wripro said:

You do not need to carry the  bottle from suite to bar, Just leave it in one of the bars and request it wherever you are. They'll serve you from your bottle. I know someone who does that with his preferred single malt scotch.

My goodness, that's stretching it a bit far.  Fancy spending thousands upon thousands $/£  to sail on an all inclusive 'Premium Line' ,only to have to take onboard your own booze to enjoy in the 'open venues' 🤔

30 minutes ago, Bell Boy said:

Quite right about some competitors and mass market lines. For example, Cunard Line ( Queen Victoria & Queen Elizabeth ) have an outstanding 'Gin Bar' offering some 40 Gin menus & Gin cocktails to get through.  (all with Fever Tree ) 😉

As do P&O!

• Like 1