LIVE FROM JOURNEY

Lois R

Just a short post about my first Azamara cruise.........issues were bad on the first evening........so bad I had to move to another cabin at 3am so they could fix my a/c.........it was at ZERO degrees........literally.........it got so cold, I got sick.........after they fixed it I was able to go back to the original. cabin.  NOT a fun way to start a cruise.  

Food has been ok.....service in the dining room last night was s l o o o o w.......waiter never came back to the table to see if anyone wanted more wine........not what I consider premium service.

I did dine in both specialty restaurants and those were very good. 

Captain is very nice........we are having to change itineraries due to incoming weather around NY........we are only going to Bermuda for 1 day.  We arrive tomorrow and leave on Thursday and will be in NY on Sat at 3pm.  I am going to see a show a Broadway Saturday night.........looking forward to it.  I saw Carole King's BEAUTIFUL pre-cruise and now I am going to "Come From Away".......it is getting rave revues.  So, I never thought I would be seeing 2 shows on Broadway in less than 2 weeks!

Anyway, Phil, most everyone I have spoken to says hello.........You are a Rock Star.

So, not sure sure I am booking with Azamara again.......I am having a good time but nothing is blowing me away.  (just being honest).

• Like 1

Yes Lois, thanks for posting! We are booked in November on Journey. Our favorite cruise line is Celebrity, and after reading some of the comments on the Azamara board, I am a little concerned. Please keep posting, as you can be sure I will be following closely.

• Like 1

Lois is traveling with the dream team of  Johansess, Heike and Eric. If the food is such a problem then Heike should know. I never eat in the MDR but in  Prime C. The air con can be bad on the ship and much colder than other ships. 

I had to hsve my air made warmer on about every cruise. 

You got to enjoy Charleston  and a great evening on the US Yorktown.

you said nothing about the Patio  or the buffets at night. 

Sorry you are not loving the ship

Glad you are still having a good time.  I know you want to be blown away, hopefully not by the incoming storms  🙂 

As others have said, if you get the opportunity highlight the service issues.  The MDR is the most important dining venue on the ship used by the vast majority of guests so it’s crucial they get their right if the greatest value of guests are to come back again. 

Fingers crossed for the rest of your cruise.  

• Like 1

Hey Lois. It's disappointing to read that you aren't that impressed with Journey. That you say  you are not sure whether you would book with Azamara again tells a story. You are an experienced cruiser and I therefore value your opinion. 

The MDR. I've seen it as a trend over the last 18 months or so that service has slowed down and is less attentive than it used to be. Because I know many of the waiters I have now got to asking for the good ones specifically and will wait half an hour to get one. Of course not everyone can do this. It's not something that should have to be done either. I put part of it down to growing pains of an extra ship and new hires across all three vessels, but I think the workload of the waiters has increased. More guests per waiter to look after?

Anyway, I hope you stay clear of the bad weather and can enjoy the rest of your trip. Feedback is important so make sure you fill in your post cruise questionnaire at the end and your attention to detail sheet if you haven't already. And say hi to them all on Journey. I miss them. 

Phil 

Edited by excitedofharpenden
  • Thanks 1

My husband and I are also on this cruise having a wonderful time, I would say it is one of the best cruises we've ever taken (we are approaching #40) having sailed Celebrity, Oceania, HAL, Princess, NCL and one with Regent and one with Crystal.  The service everywhere on the ship has been outstanding, the crew can't do enough for you.  The Captain and CD are visible and mingling with guests a lot of the time.  I have run into Eric everywhere and he is so approachable.  I'm loving the noon announcements and the interaction between the Captain and Eric.   

We don't like to rush through dinner and find the pace good (a little under 2 hours for dinner).  The first night was a little bit slower but the dining room was full with most guests choosing to have dinner there.  I love that the wait staff is always asking if you want more wine or if need anything else.  I've never had to ask for something twice.  The food has been very good in the dining room.  I don't eat meat at all and stick with fish or pasta and everything has been excellent.   We've also been to Aqualina and Prime C and enjoyed them both so much that we are going back a second time.  We have had lunch at the Patio a couple of times and that is also very good, I'm loving the grouper panini!    No buffets for my husband ever so I can't comment on that.  

We arrive Bermuda this morning (Thursday) at 9 a.m. and we are leaving tomorrow (Friday) at 2 p.m.  Apparently, there is some storm brewing and there are anticipated seas of 20 feet and the Captain wants to get ahead of it.  While it is true that our time here is going to be cut short, I get it, safety first!

I have met so many nice people, many repeaters so I think that Azamara is doing something right!

I will be looking for another cruise to book and while I would love to book one on board, sadly, cruises leaving from the U.S. are very limited for next year but I will keep looking for something to book in the future for sure.    

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I don’t know that I would ever recommend Azamara for the “Wow” factor. 

We sail on their ships for the comfort they provide, the care they show for the passengers, and for the quiet experiences of insight we experience on board and ashore.

There are times that we are really impressed but not to the “wow” point. 

But relaxed enjoyment suits us and the decor reminds us of an upscale country club, hence the appropriateness of the cruise line’s name.

• Like 6

48 minutes ago, nordski said:

I don’t know that I would ever recommend Azamara for the “Wow” factor. 

We sail on their ships for the comfort they provide, the care they show for the passengers, and for the quiet experiences of insight we experience on board and ashore.

There are times that we are really impressed but not to the “wow” point. 

But relaxed enjoyment suits us and the decor reminds us of an upscale country club, hence the appropriateness of the cruise line’s name.

I couldn't agree more!  Plus,  anytime I don't have to cook, clean, make the bed and grocery shop, I'm a happy camper.  I also like the country club casual atmosphere and no dressing up.  The show the other night with music from Broadway shows was wonderful.   We are skipping white night because we are having dinner off the ship so we'll do that next time!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, CateW said:

My husband and I are also on this cruise having a wonderful time, I would say it is one of the best cruises we've ever taken (we are approaching #40) having sailed Celebrity, Oceania, HAL, Princess, NCL and one with Regent and one with Crystal.  The service everywhere on the ship has been outstanding, the crew can't do enough for you.  The Captain and CD are visible and mingling with guests a lot of the time.  I have run into Eric everywhere and he is so approachable.  I'm loving the noon announcements and the interaction between the Captain and Eric.   

We don't like to rush through dinner and find the pace good (a little under 2 hours for dinner).  The first night was a little bit slower but the dining room was full with most guests choosing to have dinner there.  I love that the wait staff is always asking if you want more wine or if need anything else.  I've never had to ask for something twice.  The food has been very good in the dining room.  I don't eat meat at all and stick with fish or pasta and everything has been excellent.   We've also been to Aqualina and Prime C and enjoyed them both so much that we are going back a second time.  We have had lunch at the Patio a couple of times and that is also very good, I'm loving the grouper panini!    No buffets for my husband ever so I can't comment on that.  

We arrive Bermuda this morning (Thursday) at 9 a.m. and we are leaving tomorrow (Friday) at 2 p.m.  Apparently, there is some storm brewing and there are anticipated seas of 20 feet and the Captain wants to get ahead of it.  While it is true that our time here is going to be cut short, I get it, safety first!

I have met so many nice people, many repeaters so I think that Azamara is doing something right!

I will be looking for another cruise to book and while I would love to book one on board, sadly, cruises leaving from the U.S. are very limited for next year but I will keep looking for something to book in the future for sure.     

We got off the Journey on the cruise before you.  It was our first Azamara cruise and what a wonderful experience!  Yes, Johnsess and Eric are the best.  In fact, Eric was one of the best CD we have ever had.  He is so talented.  Would I go back on Azamara--absolutely yes.  It will be hard to go back on a large Celebrity ship, but we will as several are already booked.  The singers, dancers, crew--all were so helpful, friendly and helped to make our cruise just wonderful. 

• Like 1

On 3/27/2019 at 6:36 PM, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:
15 minutes ago, NJ Gal said:

We got off the Journey on the cruise before you.  It was our first Azamara cruise and what a wonderful experience!  Yes, Johnsess and Eric are the best.  In fact, Eric was one of the best CD we have ever had.  He is so talented.  Would I go back on Azamara--absolutely yes.  It will be hard to go back on a large Celebrity ship, but we will as several are already booked.  The singers, dancers, crew--all were so helpful, friendly and helped to make our cruise just wonderful. 

NY Gal I agree, what did you book?  I so wanted to book the 18 night LA to Papette but the flight back is just too long. 

Edited by CateW

I am also on this sailing and I have to agree with Lois that I am not blown away.  The ship is gorgeous and the bedding, towels, bathrobes, etc. are wonderful.  But I expected to be blown away by the food and service and while it's been good it is nothing near what I was expecting. 

Lois it has been great to finally meet you and get to chat in person after all these years.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, excitedofharpenden said:

Hey Lois. It's disappointing to read that you aren't that impressed with Journey. That you say  you are not sure whether you would book with Azamara again tells a story. You are an experienced cruiser and I therefore value your opinion. 

The MDR. I've seen it as a trend over the last 18 months or so that service has slowed down and is less attentive than it used to be. Because I know many of the waiters I have now got to asking for the good ones specifically and will wait half an hour to get one. Of course not everyone can do this. It's not something that should have to be done either. I put part of it down to growing pains of an extra ship and new hires across all three vessels, but I think the workload of the waiters has increased. More guests per waiter to look after?

Anyway, I hope you stay clear of the bad weather and can enjoy the rest of your trip. Feedback is important so make sure you fill in your post cruise questionnaire at the end and your attention to detail sheet if you haven't already. And say hi to them all on Journey. I miss them. 

Phil 

I would agree there has been a drop off in the service levels in the MDR over the last year.  I think the reasons you give are indeed the cause, especially that with the third ship the staffing numbers and competence really have been stretched.  The service may stack up with some lines still but it doesn't stack up as much with the premium lines or of course the Azamara of old.

I think there are also issues in the MDR with more and more guests wanting variations in the menu (e.g. bring me an additional x starter with my entree or alter x or y to my tastes)  The problem is having been on a galley tour I have now seen this involves the waiter having to wait in two or three service lines to get all this together.  The knock on is that other tables served by the same staff are impacted with slow service or no wine service if the assistant is the runner.  It is very rarely regular guests who do this, perhaps the new target market is expecting this level of wow that the MDR struggles to deliver and keep others served as wee (By the way I am not saying that it is Lois or the other posters on this thread who are doing this, more it is a general "make it different" we have observed).

With the price increases on AZ, I think the new target market is boarding with luxury level -- Crystal, Seabourn, Silversea -- expectations and being "blown away" and AZ obviously is struggling to fulfill those expectations.  Those of us who are repeat guests come back for lots of other reasons.  I personally think the food is very good, not great, and I thought it was the best I've had on AZ on my third cruise, which was Pursuit's Maiden so go figure!  But I come back for the entire package that is delivered and a huge part of that is the atmosphere/environment of the ships, "relaxed enjoyment" as another poster called it, and the friendliness of crew and guests.  I don't come back for the wines, which to me is the weakest link of the entire product and with the price increases are encouraging me to look at the luxury lines.

• Like 4

Thanks for the review.  I find Celebrity and Azamara to be quite different experiences.  I enjoy them both, but can easily see why someone would prefer one over the other.  That said, imho most people who sail either line with the expectation of being "blown away" will be disappointed.  I haven't yet sailed on a luxury line, but I intend to.  Even then, I won't expect to be blown away. Won't it be wonderful if I am?

5 hours ago, CateW said:

NY Gal I agree, what did you book?  I so wanted to book the 18 night LA to Papette but the flight back is just too long. 

Since we have several Celebrity cruises already booked, we did not book another Azamara cruise yet.  Planning to do the Reflection transatlantic in Nov.   That 18 night LA to Papette did sound interesting....maybe in 2021.You are right about that very very long flight back home.  Waiting to see how we do on the flight to Europe in the fall.   

• Like 1

To all of you who are on the sailing, glad you are having one of your best cruises ever. I did not give my opinions to say others don't  have different ones........geeezzz..........

I enjoy a nice dinner but when the waiters seem to forget you? Sorry, that doesn't cut it for me.

Yes, I enjoyed Charleston if not only for the reason that I could find a bar to watch The Masters as the ship only showed rounds 1 and 2......Saturday and Sunday we were told they had a Satellite blockage......which when sitting in a port on the Eastern Seaboard (In MY opinion) sounds crazy. So part of Sat and Sunday I was eating/drinking/watching golf in local establishments.

As for the officers, I never went into detail on that......yes, they are visible. I never said otherwise.  I guess the more things change, the more they stay the same on here. I was just giving my view. 

Oh, I ate with 3 sisters in PRIME C last night......they are sailing from the UK.....we all had issues with the food......one steak had to be sent back, 1 lamb was totally under cooked and ALL the veggies were COLD.  

I will speak with Management about my experience.  Again, happy to know everyone else on here is having wonderful time.

I am not telling a lie about things.....these are my experiences. Sorry if that offends other people.

I will probably pass on posting again before I get home (which will be Sunday night).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Of course they are your views and experiences Lois. No-one doubts that, but other passengers on your cruise are having different views and experiences and just like you, they should be allowed to voice them. Everyone has different opinions. It's good to have variety. 

Personally I have never thought that Azamara is a "WOW" experience. The ships are small and old, despite the refurbs and the cabins....well even the top suites just cannot compare with Crystal, Silversea, Seabourn or even Viking. The food is generally good but not great. Not like Silversea and Crystal, which is always good and very often is great. 

You will get some Azamara loyalists who have never sailed on other cruise lines....well maybe Celebrity, but that's all. They have found a home with Azamara and that's OK too.

I like to try different cruise experiences though. I do agree with the person who said Azamara pricing is comparable to the true luxury cruise lines now but the suites and the cruise experience just isn't. That may be why managing people's expectations of an Azamara cruise is getting more difficult. They have paid luxury prices and they expect a true luxury experience. 

However, none of that is why I cruise mainly on Azamara now. It's like coming home for me and the friendliness and ambience onboard is lovely. I have so many friends onboard, both crew and passengers and I'm so relaxed after an Azamara cruise. I don't really care that the cabins and bathrooms are small because I am never in them, except to sleep and shower. The pre cruise lack of efficiency annoys me but I know that once onboard it will all melt away. 

It might not be a WOW experience on Azamara but it is certainly one that I love and I can't wait to repeat in it a few weeks. 

I do hope you can enjoy the rest of your cruise Lois. The advice to talk to the HD about your concerns is good. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Lottie A said:

Of course they are your views and experiences Lois. No-one doubts that, but other passengers on your cruise are having different views and experiences and just like you, they should be allowed to voice them. Everyone has different opinions. It's good to have variety. 

Thank you for writing this.  Because someone has had issues on a cruise doesn't mean everyone had issues.  There is a tendency here to generalize based on the experiences expressed by one poster or two.  What's worse is when the poster himself or herself generalizes that because he or she had issues that there are endemic problems with the ship's crew and management that need to be corrected.

• Like 1

Lottie, agree with everything you say sometimes I think Azamara is built up a bit too much on these boards so expectations of new passengers may be too high, this isn’t helped by current prices.

We had 3 Azamara cruises last year and on one there were certainly issues, not all of Azamara’s making but having done so many Azamara cruises we know how to get things addressed. But some of the problems were down to the choice of cruise and itinerary and we would avoid this in the future.

We also try other lines with varying success, last year on Crystal it was definitely a star above Azamara however it wasn’t for us, it was clinically efficient but lacked the warmth and friendliness we enjoy on Azamara.

This year we tried Viking, it was much closer to the Azamara experience but we encountered problems with both service and food. Again like Azamara there was a mid cruise survey in which we mentioned our observations which were addressed and we were contacted by department heads to apologise. Viking are certainly an alternative for us but prices are very similar to Azamara, our reservation is that although the staff are very friendly the staff/passenger ratio was more at mainstream line than premium. This could of course be the result of growing from 0 to 6 ships in such a short space of time.

• Like 1

Very interesting how different passengers can have a completely different experience on the same cruise, even on a ship as small as Journey.

We were also on this cruise until a family emergency caused us to disembark after only 3 nights.

I don't discount or question Lois' experience at all, but our enjoyment was much more in line with CateW than with Lois & CruisingChick's experience.

Our 3 nights in the MDR had excellent food the first night and what I would call very good the next 2. Food is so subjective, so someone else could eat our same meals with a totally different opinion.

We had different wait teams all 3 nights with very attentive service each of those nights. The service seemed very friendly and efficient, and our wine glasses were constantly filled to the point where at one point I let them know that we were fine & would not need any more.

I feel bad that Lois and CruisingChick have been disappointed with their experience so far. Hopefully things improve for them for the remainder of the cruise.

For us, this was starting out to be so enjoyable that it was on track to be our best cruise yet. I have to admit that this was only our 9th cruise, sailing previously on Azamara, Celebrity, and Princess.

• Like 3

I agree completely with Lottie's and Host Grandma’s comments that joining an Azamara ship is very much like ‘coming home’., we also have many friends in the Azamara community and it is always nice to be welcomed back on board. Despite my moniker, we do not sail exclusively on AZ, our other favourite line is Seabourn which we find as good as AZ and sometimes better in some areas, particularly the standard Veranda cabins. Price wise it is very similar to AZ. We have recently returned from an excellent 14days  in the Caribbean visiting many islands that AZ could do well to emulate rather than concentrating on Cuba.  We have not given up on AZ and are looking forward to some interesting cruises with them over the next 18 months. Likewise we do not limit ourselves to cruises, we have various European land trips this year (despite Brexit!) and a Maldives holiday to avoid the cold weather early next year.

in summary, Azamara is one of our two favourite cruise lines, and provided the itinerary and price is right we will continue with them...........but we do have a Seabourn future cruise certificate to use up!

• Like 2