Which beach should we go to? Cozumel or Costa Maya

mel7350

We are taking the Carnival Fantasy to Cozumel and Costa Maya. For one port  we want to do an excursion and for the other we just want to hang out at the beach. Do either of the ports allow you to just hang at the beach or do you have to buy an excursion to get there? Also, which one would be best for a beach day?

Thanks,

Melissa

Costa Maya has pretty limited excursion choices in my opinion (ruins excursion, mayan experience, expensive but large water park at the dock).  Cozumel has a lot more excursion options.  It is very reasonable and easy to get to the beach clubs at Costa Maya (you just walk to the end of the cruise area and catch the $3 shuttle).  The shuttle takes you to the main beach town, Mahahual.  There are four stops.  We always get off at the middle stop and walk up and down the beach boardwalk until we see a beach club that we like.  We have gone to the Crazy Lobster twice (free beach-front loungers/tables, kayaks, music and good food and drinks).  The beach clubs in Costa Maya/Mahuhal however do not have the water bounce things like Paradise beach or Mr. Sanchos in Cozumel.  The beach in Costa Maya is OK, but not that much different from the popular beaches in Cozumel.  Depending on which beach club that you go to in Cozumel, it will cost approximately $10 per person round trip cab ride.   The AI beach options in Cozumel are also much more expensive as compared to spending the day at the beach in Costa Maya/Mahahual.   If you like snorkeling or diving excursions, then would do those in Cozumel though.  

• Thanks 1

The further you walk down the beach from the first shuttle stop, the food, beer, and massages get cheaper. My wife and I had one hour $25 massages in Costa Maya, the Ceviche was fresh, excellent and the cervesa was cold. The first to massage huts they were asking $40 an hour. 

This is easy.  Costa Maya has Maya Chan which is the best beach day in the Caribbean, by far.  Cozumel has slightly better water, but if you want a beach hangout, nothing comes close to Maya Chan.  Cheap, too and includes transportation.

Don't confuse it with a mediocre beach clubs on the Malecon in Costa Maya.

If you decide to book Maya Chan, book it as early as you can as they sell out quickly (for a reason).

Cozumel also has better ship sponsored excursions, if you don't mind going to the mainland, check out Secret River.  If you want to do the beach in Cozumel, they have some good beach clubs, too.  Mr. Sanchos and Nachi Cocom are 2 great choices.

Edited by BNBR
  • Like 1

I agree with wesorbeth.  My wife and I have been to Paradise beach several times and will be again in a couple of weeks.  They have two options, all inclusive (can't remember the price as this is fairly new) or $3 entrance plus a minimum of $10 on food or drinks.  My wife and I always do the $3 since we do not drink.  The food is very good.  I'm looking forward to enjoying some chicken fajitas on the beach again.  The beach is also great, with plenty of spots in the shade or sun.

• Like 1

On 4/16/2019 at 4:24 PM, grantbob said:

Cozumel the beaches are MUCH prettier. In Costa Maya you can got to the beach for free.

I think it's the opposite. :)

We like Blue Kay bar beach in Costa Maya and a similar to it Playa Palancar in Cozumel.

On 4/16/2019 at 7:13 PM, haply said:

It is very reasonable and easy to get to the beach clubs at Costa Maya (you just walk to the end of the cruise area and catch the $3 shuttle).  The shuttle takes you to the main beach town, Mahahual.  There are four stops. 

taxi is the same price and they'll drop you off anywhere you want. Actually, taxi for the 4 of us was $8 each way, so even less than $3pp "shuttle".

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

taxi is the same price and they'll drop you off anywhere you want. Actually, taxi for the 4 of us was $8 each way, so even less than $3pp "shuttle".

Now they are charging per taxi in Costa Maya agree it is less expensive for four people. It used to be cheaper for two people when they charged pp ($2pp) but now it is not.

Everyone has to take a taxi (or walk) back.

Edited by c-leg5
  • Like 1