Eating at Xcaret

Crunchymom

1 hour ago, Crunchymom said:

Yes, that's their actual site. There's no pricing or menus. Hmmm, weird. 

Form what I have read it is cheaper to buy passes that include food but I am not sure you can do that through the cruise line?

I didn't really investigate food and drink when we were there as we were staying at the AI resort next door and had a 2-day pass, but I had read food and drink were expensive. 

We took a break at lunchtime and went back to the resort for quieter lunch and included drinks!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, c-leg5 said:

Form what I have read it is cheaper to buy passes that include food but I am not sure you can do that through the cruise line?

I didn't really investigate food and drink when we were there as we were staying at the AI resort next door and had a 2-day pass, but I had read food and drink were expensive. 

We took a break at lunchtime and went back to the resort for quieter lunch and included drinks!

We did book this excursion through the ship, cheaper than buying it elsewhere. Food wasn't an option unfortunately. We're a family of 6, so I'm worried now how much we'll spend for lunch. I'm still on the hunt for some menus, lol. Hubby has friends who were just there a few weeks ago, at a resort. They had a 2 day pass too and said they didn't even finish the park, lol. Looks like a beautiful place, can't wait.

• 8 months later...

Did you end up doing this excursion?    In looking through Cozumel options, it is one my daughter wants to do - but looking through the reviews, I'm not sure.    Seems like a lot of complaints about not enough time.

Also, I was curious how it worked when booked through the cruise line.   Do you get dropped off, given a map, then told where/when to meet back up to return to the ship as a group?    Or do you stay together as a group the whole time?   

We have done excursions before where you meet back to all load up together for the transport back to the ship, where you travel as a group the whole time, and even one where you were  dropped off with a voucher to make your way back on your own.    Have to admit with lines, the voucher one made me nervous. . .but we did make it back in time.    

39 minutes ago, deb63 said:

Did you end up doing this excursion?    In looking through Cozumel options, it is one my daughter wants to do - but looking through the reviews, I'm not sure.    Seems like a lot of complaints about not enough time.

Also, I was curious how it worked when booked through the cruise line.   Do you get dropped off, given a map, then told where/when to meet back up to return to the ship as a group?    Or do you stay together as a group the whole time?   

We have done excursions before where you meet back to all load up together for the transport back to the ship, where you travel as a group the whole time, and even one where you were  dropped off with a voucher to make your way back on your own.    Have to admit with lines, the voucher one made me nervous. . .but we did make it back in time.    

Yes, we went to xcaret. It was very nice and the whole park is well taken care of. No, there definitely wasn't enough time to do everything but our main goal was just to do the river tour. After the tour, you're able to go off and do what you want. We chose to just walk around. I didn't like this. You have to go on the river tour as a group. I rather would've walked around first then did the river because by afternoon it was extremely hot! So, I think they should allow you to do what you want. Also....what we didn't know, even after researching is that the river is deep. There are a few rocks here and there to stand on for a few seconds but that's it. Not good when we had a 7 year old and a 3 year old. :/ Also...the booth where you can borrow flippers (which would've been very helpful) is kind of hidden and the tour guide gave the impression that they're at the entrance to where you get into the river. No, it's not....so unfortunately we didn't get flippers. As far as eating goes....we took the advice of our tour guide who brought us to a restaurant (I think he knew the owner). Anyway it was expensive and wasted a lot of time. Do the buffet, IMO. I just never found menus online so we didn't know what to do. We all had to meet at a certain time at the front of the park to load up on the bus. Looking back, although it was a nice place and I'm glad we did it, I wouldn't again. I don't like deep water (towards the end, there's seaweed everywhere), also bats in the caves, and fish in the water...so no, lol. We did the short river because of the kids and it was still too long for them (and us because we eventually had to carry them). Our older 2 did great and loved it...they're 15 and 12. Anyway sorry so long. :)

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Crunchymom said:

Yes, we went to xcaret. It was very nice and the whole park is well taken care of. No, there definitely wasn't enough time to do everything but our main goal was just to do the river tour. After the tour, you're able to go off and do what you want. We chose to just walk around. I didn't like this. You have to go on the river tour as a group. I rather would've walked around first then did the river because by afternoon it was extremely hot! So, I think they should allow you to do what you want. Also....what we didn't know, even after researching is that the river is deep. There are a few rocks here and there to stand on for a few seconds but that's it. Not good when we had a 7 year old and a 3 year old. 😕 Also...the booth where you can borrow flippers (which would've been very helpful) is kind of hidden and the tour guide gave the impression that they're at the entrance to where you get into the river. No, it's not....so unfortunately we didn't get flippers. As far as eating goes....we took the advice of our tour guide who brought us to a restaurant (I think he knew the owner). Anyway it was expensive and wasted a lot of time. Do the buffet, IMO. I just never found menus online so we didn't know what to do. We all had to meet at a certain time at the front of the park to load up on the bus. Looking back, although it was a nice place and I'm glad we did it, I wouldn't again. I don't like deep water (towards the end, there's seaweed everywhere), also bats in the caves, and fish in the water...so no, lol. We did the short river because of the kids and it was still too long for them (and us because we eventually had to carry them). Our older 2 did great and loved it...they're 15 and 12. Anyway sorry so long. 🙂

Please don't apologize for your description being long.   It was very helpful.

Do you HAVE to swim the river?   I read some older reviews where it said a boat was available if you didn't want to.   My kids are older (16), but I personally don't want to swim a river, and imagine my husband would not either.

I did manage to print off a map to look through before hand.   My daughter is interested in the birds/butterflies.

Xcaret is an amazing experience and of course it’s a nicer experience if you are staying nearby and can spend a day there. The evening dinner show is also a very nice show if you can be there late. But on an excursion from Coz you can enjoy the river and some of the shows, and there is a food/drink package option for land visitors, I would check at the park to see how much that costs for you...

• Like 1