Belize Cave Tubing Water Shoes

sunlilacs

After doing some research, I learned that the path to go to the cave is rocky and people recommended to get something that is not the typical water shoes. What would you recommend? I have looked through Amazon and have not found anything. Some people recommended Keen but I would like some shoes under $50 if possible and I'm not sure if Teva shoes are fully waterproof/water-resistant. My husband and I like open-toed shoes so that's another reason why I'm having issues. Thanks in advance.

With the understanding that anything under $100 will get you junk, check out OluKai "elehu trainers," which are standard issue for Hawaiian lifeguards. At just over $100, they at the ideal for any water related sport where rocky sea beds are the norm.

These shoes are the ideal water shoe by which all others are measured though they have one shortcoming: they are not available in wide sizes.

I wore Keens, which are great for things like this. But I already had them. If I were buying something just for this that I didn't think I would use a lot in the future, I'd look for some generic Keen style sandals. Target, Walmart, etc. should have them.

I wore Teva enclosed water shoes one time, and Nike a second time.  I usually wear the this brand of water shoes on most excursions as well.  As long as they have good rubber soles. and won't fall apart like some of the cheap under $10 prs will, my feet stayed protected.

I also used them around the ship's pool on sea days, even climbed Dunn's River Falls several times.

On ‎4‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 11:27 PM, skrufy said:

I used an old pair of running shoes. They worked out great. Then threw them away.

This is the best.  But instead of tossing them. Bring a pair of shoes/sandals/flops to wear back to the ship and leave your old running shoes in the box by the gift shops. 

• 2 weeks later...

A lot of people suggest not wearing water shoes but we've been twice (with a large group in our family) and we've always worn water shoes with no problems. 

I have read plenty of people on these boards over the years suggest and old pair of running shoes and then donating them when they are done with the tour. 

Have a wonderful tour. 🙂

On 4/23/2019 at 12:28 PM, angie7911922 said:

I'm a Salomon gal personally. Usually if you check the Steep & Cheap page of BackCountry.com, you can find them on sale for $40 - $60 instead of the $100+ price tag. 

Got some of these for our upcoming excursion at the REI Outlet