6TH MONTH PASSPORT RULE

Adrianp1989

Hi,

Has anyone been able to board an MSC cruise with a passport that expires less than 6 months after the cruise ends??

I'm going crazy because no one (not MSC in Spain, nor USA, nor the tourist agency) has been able to give me a clear answer.

The thing is that my father's passport will expire 5 months and a half after the day of disembarkation, and we know for sure he can enter the USA and all of the countries where our cruise goes. But MSC has this policy that all the passports should be valid for at least 6 months after the trip.

I know the easiest thing should be just to get a new passport but he is Venezuelan and it is not that easy... a new passport for a venezuelan national nowadays takes more than one year!! it's crazy!! so a new passport is not an option. It's either this or no holidays this year.

Does anyone know anything about this???

Thanks,

List of Countries that Require 6 Months Passport Validity

Requirements for each country can change at any time. Please contact your destination country's embassy or consulate directly. This list is meant to be a helpful guideline for countries that enforce the six-month validity passport rule, but are of course subject to change.

• Albania
    • Angola
    • Bahrain
    • Belize
    • Bolivia
    • Botswana
    • Brazil
    • Brunei
    • Burma (Myanmar)
    • Burundi
    • China
    • Cote d’Ivoire (Ivory Coast)
    • Ecuador (including Galápagos Islands)
    • French Polynesia
    • Guyana
    • Honduras
    • Indonesia
    • Iran
    • Iraq
    • Israel*
    • Kenya
    • Kiribati
    • Laos
    • Madagascar
    • Malaysia
    • Mauritius
    • Micronesia**
    • Mozambique
    • Namibia
    • New Caledonia
    • Nicaragua (currently waived by bilateral agreement)
    • Oman
    • Palau
    • Papua New Guinea
    • Philippines
    • Russian Federation
    • Saudi Arabia
    • Singapore
    • Taiwan
    • Tajikistan
    • Tanzania
    • Thailand
    • Timor-Leste (East Timor)
    • Turkey
    • Turkmenistan
    • Uganda
    • Ukraine
    • Venezuela
    • Vietnam
    • Zambia

*Some airlines that fly to Israel may require six months validity on your passport. Check with your airline first if you have less than 6 months passport validity.

**Micronesia requires US passport holders to have four months passport validity.

Passport requirements often differ from nation to nation. Be sure to check the entry and exit requirements for each country you plan to travel as these requirements can change regularly

Found  on the following web site

https://fastportpassport.com/blog/six-month-validity-passport-rule

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

we also had this issue, where one of my daughters passports was good for about 5 months post disembarkation.  I didn't want to take any chances and got her a new one.  I thought the same thing as you but didn't want anything to hinder the vacation.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, cathep said:

I don't think the issue is MSC directly.  My understanding is the cruise lines (or airlines) work in accordance with the policy of the countries being visited.  

There are some cruise lines that have stricter requirements regarding passports than the legal ones.  Don't know if MSC is one of them.

Most cruise lines only recommend that 6 months remain but you say MSC has a policy that requires it and if that is the case then it doesn't matter what the ports of call require. If MSC actually only recommends that 6 months remain then you will need to check the entry requirements for each country visited to find out the requirement for Venezuelan citizens (including any requirement for a visa). 

12 hours ago, Skier52 said:

Requirements for each country can change at any time. Please contact your destination country's embassy or consulate directly. This list is meant to be a helpful guideline for countries that enforce the six-month validity passport rule, but are of course subject to change.

• Albania
    • Angola
    • Bahrain
    • Belize
    • Bolivia
    • Botswana
    • Brazil
    • Brunei
    • Burma (Myanmar)
    • Burundi
    • China
    • French Polynesia
    • Guyana
    • Honduras
    • Indonesia
    • Iran
    • Iraq
    • Israel*
    • Kenya
    • Kiribati
    • Laos
    • Madagascar
    • Malaysia
    • Mauritius
    • Micronesia**
    • Mozambique
    • Namibia
    • New Caledonia
    • Oman
    • Palau
    • Papua New Guinea
    • Philippines
    • Russian Federation
    • Saudi Arabia
    • Singapore
    • Taiwan
    • Tajikistan
    • Tanzania
    • Thailand
    • Turkey
    • Turkmenistan
    • Uganda
    • Ukraine
    • Venezuela
    • Vietnam
    • Zambia

*Some airlines that fly to Israel may require six months validity on your passport. Check with your airline first if you have less than 6 months passport validity.

**Micronesia requires US passport holders to have four months passport validity.

Passport requirements often differ from nation to nation. Be sure to check the entry and exit requirements for each country you plan to travel as these requirements can change regularly

I am sure Peru should be on that list as we are going there this summer, and I remember reading that. (It really did not matter as we would have had to renew even without that restriction as our passports would have expired before our departure date.

As others have said, it is not a cruise line policy, nor is it specific to one cruise line v another - it is a US Department of State (and Department of Homeland Security) advisory, which is (also as noted) specified by individual countries regarding travel to them.  It is most frequently not as stringent for Caribbean cruises as most of those ports of call are not ones who require or enforce that - some requiring only 3 months..  But for most other regions of travel, the 6 month expiration past your itinerary travel date is something that should be taken seriously.

Relative to MSC, as they are predominantly a Europe, South America, Africa, etc., focused cruise line who has only made entry into the US departure (and Caribbean itineraries) market in recent years, their interpretation for this policy is likely a carry over as a corporate policy based on their focus with these other regions.

I would continue to press with your TA to get confirmation.  This is part of their responsibility to you to get this information from MSC, and MSC should provide their policy.  However this is from their website deferring responsibility to the passenger based on intended country of travel, and referring US and Canadian citizens to the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) for further guidance.  Clear as mud! Here are links to both:

https://www.msccruisesusa.com/en-us/Contact/Contacts-Faq.aspx

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citizens/western-hemisphere-travel-initiative

To be on the safe side, you may just want to incur the expense to make sure all of your Passports are current with greater than 6 months expiration past the planned travel date - then there can be no issues or concerns.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 1

We do exactly that.  Renew our passports so they never expire within six months of a trip.   It is a lot easier to do now that our passports can be issued for five or for ten year periods.  We sometimes pick up last minute specials so we tend to be ready to go even with a few days notice.

Edited by iancal

2 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

As others have said, it is not a cruise line policy, nor is it specific to one cruise line v another - it is a US Department of State (and Department of Homeland Security) advisory, which is (also as noted) specified by individual countries regarding travel to them.  It is most frequently not as stringent for Caribbean cruises as most of those ports of call are not ones who require or enforce that - some requiring only 3 months..  But for most other regions of travel, the 6 month expiration past your itinerary travel date is something that should be taken seriously.

Relative to MSC, as they are predominantly a Europe, South America, Africa, etc., focused cruise line who has only made entry into the US departure (and Caribbean itineraries) market in recent years, their interpretation for this policy is likely a carry over as a corporate policy based on their focus with these other regions.

I would continue to press with your TA to get confirmation.  This is part of their responsibility to you to get this information from MSC, and MSC should provide their policy.  However this is from their website deferring responsibility to the passenger based on intended country of travel, and referring US and Canadian citizens to the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) for further guidance.  Clear as mud! Here are links to both:

https://www.msccruisesusa.com/en-us/Contact/Contacts-Faq.aspx

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citizens/western-hemisphere-travel-initiative

To be on the safe side, you may just want to incur the expense to make sure all of your Passports are current with greater than 6 months expiration past the planned travel date - then there can be no issues or concerns.

Your first statement, that I've highlighted in red, is not accurate. While it is up to each individual country to set its own passport requirements for those entering the that country, there are cruise lines that require every passenger to hold a passport with six months remaining validity regardless of whether any of the ports of call  require it. In fact a ship might be on a closed loop Western Hemisphere cruise that does not legally require a passport at all for US citizens, but the cruise line has the right nonetheless to require every passenger to have a passport with six months validity. One cruise line I sail on, Oceania, has  this requirement, and I know that other luxury cruise lines also  follow this rule. Here's Regent Seven Seas' rule from their FAQs: 

https://www.rssc.com/frequently-asked-questions/you-sail

As of January 1, 2016, U.S. passport holders will no longer be able to add additional visa pages to passports. Passport holders in need of additional pages will need to renew their passport prior to sailing. It is the policy of Regent Seven Seas Cruises to require passports for ALL travelers for all voyages, regardless of guests' nationality and ports of call and countries visited. You must obtain and carry a valid passport to board a Regent Seven Seas Cruises vessel. Passport Cards or a copy of a passport are not accepted. Passports must be valid for six months beyond the conclusion of your cruise. Please obtain or renew your passports early. Consult your travel professional or customs authority for documentation requirements for your cruise.

Cruise lines can, and some do, set requirements more stringent than those mandated by law and regulation. I'm not saying that MSC necessarily follows this practice, I'm merely saying they can, and some other cruise lines do.

Edited by njhorseman

15 hours ago, Skier52 said:

• Albania
    • Angola
    • Bahrain
    • Belize
    • Bolivia
    • Botswana
    • Brazil
    • Brunei
    • Burma (Myanmar)
    • Burundi
    • China
    • French Polynesia
    • Guyana
    • Honduras
    • Indonesia
    • Iran
    • Iraq
    • Israel*
    • Kenya
    • Kiribati
    • Laos
    • Madagascar
    • Malaysia
    • Mauritius
    • Micronesia**
    • Mozambique
    • Namibia
    • New Caledonia
    • Oman
    • Palau
    • Papua New Guinea
    • Philippines
    • Russian Federation
    • Saudi Arabia
    • Singapore
    • Taiwan
    • Tajikistan
    • Tanzania
    • Thailand
    • Turkey
    • Turkmenistan
    • Uganda
    • Ukraine
    • Venezuela
    • Vietnam
    • Zambia

This list is from a commercial for-profit passport expediting service, not an official government source. Sites such as this one can't be relied upon for accuracy and should never be cited as a source of official information.

I know your intentions were good, but you should take care to quote official sources.

Edited by njhorseman

21 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

Your first statement, that I've highlighted in red, is not accurate. While it is up to each individual country to set its own passport requirements for those entering the that country, there are cruise lines that require every passenger to hold a passport with six months remaining validity regardless of whether any of the ports of call  require it. In fact a ship might be on a closed loop Western Hemisphere cruise that does not legally require a passport at all for US citizens, but the cruise line has the right nonetheless to require every passenger to have a passport with six months validity. One cruise line I sail on, Oceania, has  this requirement, and I know that other luxury cruise lines also  follow this rule....

...Cruise lines can, and some do, set requirements more stringent than those mandated by law and regulation.

I agree completely with everything you say and perhaps was not clear with my message - which I appreciate you pointing out.  You are correct that individual cruise lines set their policy regarding Passports, and some may in fact be more stringent than the Government policies. However, what I was trying to indicate is that those individual cruise line policies are based on the Department of State (and other relevant departments) policies and guidelines along with the entry mandates of the individual countries that may appear on a given itinerary, and would not be less stringent than that.

It is always important to check each lines policies as, you indicate, some will mandate a Passport on US based closed loop itineraries while others will not, even though the current requirement for US Citizens is a valid gov't issued picture ID and a birth certificate - or - a Passport.

My bottom line message to the OP is to avoid any question, just update any Passport in question to assure no expiration issues.

Again - appreciate your comments on my previous post.  Accurate responses are the goal.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

I agree completely with everything you say and perhaps was not clear with my message - which I appreciate you pointing out.  You are correct that individual cruise lines set their policy regarding Passports, and some may in fact be more stringent than the Government policies. However, what I was trying to indicate is that those individual cruise line policies are based on the Department of State (and other relevant departments) policies and guidelines along with the entry mandates of the individual countries that may appear on a given itinerary, and would not be less stringent than that.

It is always important to check each lines policies as, you indicate, some will mandate a Passport on US based closed loop itineraries while others will not, even though the current requirement for US Citizens is a valid gov't issued picture ID and a birth certificate - or - a Passport.

My bottom line message to the OP is to avoid any question, just update any Passport in question to assure no expiration issues.

Again - appreciate your comments on my previous post.  Accurate responses are the goal.

The OP said that father is from Venezuela and it can take a year to get an updated passport, so updating it isn't an option for them. 

9 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

The OP said that father is from Venezuela and it can take a year to get an updated passport, so updating it isn't an option for them. 

Then I guess that could be an issue.  What isn't clear is when - or where - they are sailing, other than commenting on the resulting possibility of "no holidays this year".  If he is certain (and I would want to confirm that if I were the OP) that his father can enter the US and all of the ports on the itinerary, as this seems to be an MSC policy issue, perhaps they should look at other cruise lines with similar itineraries that may not have that mandate.  It sounds like perhaps it is a Caribbean itinerary and there are several cruise lines that may not be a stringent as MSC with this.  I would check my options with my TA.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Then I guess that could be an issue.  What isn't clear is when - or where - they are sailing, other than commenting on the resulting possibility of "no holidays this year".  If he is certain (and I would want to confirm that if I were the OP) that his father can enter the US and all of the ports on the itinerary, as this seems to be an MSC policy issue, perhaps they should look at other cruise lines with similar itineraries that may not have that mandate.  It sounds like perhaps it is a Caribbean itinerary and there are several cruise lines that may not be a stringent as MSC with this.  I would check my options with my TA.

If it is a Caribbean cruise (which it does sound like) then I know I'd be looking at other cruise lines. Much preferable than no holiday.

I would find out from MSC if it's a RULE of theirs or a RECOMMENDATION. 

Then I would check the consulate requirements for CRUISE PASSENGERS for each country being visited. 

It is important to note that the requirement for CRUISE passengers is different than it is for AIR passengers for many countries.  This is because you're considered "in transit" because you're only there for a day (sometimes two, for overnight ports) and then you have transportation all lined up to leave again.  This is different than for people who come by air, where the plane is dropping them off and then leaving without them.  Those are the people who are typically required to have an extra six months on their passport, in case they decide to stay longer.  

Think about it -- US citizens can cruise to most of the Caribbean without a passport, but they can't fly into any of those same countries without a passport.  The rules are different for cruise passengers than they are for air passengers, in many (not all) cases.

So, I recommend that the OP finds out for sure if MSC has a RULE or a RECOMMENDATION, and if it's just a recommendation, then look up consulate rules for each country (and print it out to bring with you to show that your father's passport meets those rules, if Venezuelan cruisers aren't required to have six months remaining).  

If your father is a lawful permanent resident (in other words, has a green card) in the U.S. he might look into getting a reentry permit. Some countries accept that in lieu of a passport, and the cruise line might do the same. You'd need for your TA to check with MSC. Note that processing times to get one are getting longer by the day, and can run from 3 to 6 months, depending on where he resides and thus what immigration office he'd need to use.

12 minutes ago, wishIweretravelling said:

If your father is a lawful permanent resident (in other words, has a green card) in the U.S. he might look into getting a reentry permit. Some countries accept that in lieu of a passport, and the cruise line might do the same. You'd need for your TA to check with MSC. Note that processing times to get one are getting longer by the day, and can run from 3 to 6 months, depending on where he resides and thus what immigration office he'd need to use.

Given that the OP lives in Barcelona and has tried checking with offices in Spain, I doubt that the father is a US resident.

OP - if you haven't already, post your inquiry on the MSC board where it is more likely to be seen by someone who has experienced your father's dilemma:  https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/49-msc-cruises/.

I will add that we (both US citizens) just booked our first MSC cruise this week and the booking summary included this warning message similar (if not exactly the same) that you mentioned:

Passports must be current and at least six months before expiring from the ‘last’ day of the end of your vacation, and passports must have at least two unused pages for any necessary stamps a VISA may require. It is the responsibility of the client to verify what documentation is required for each port of call.

Good luck getting the correct answer and I hope it is one that will let your father take the cruise!

Edited by capriccio

21 hours ago, njhorseman said:

This list is from a commercial for-profit passport expediting service, not an official government source. Sites such as this one can't be relied upon for accuracy and should never be cited as a source of official information.

I know your intentions were good, but you should take care to quote official sources.

here is a  list from the  US passport service so it should be acceptable under your criterion

https://www.us-passport-service-guide.com/countries-that-require-six-months-validity-in-a-passport.html

Europe is absent from this list. Due to stricter border controls in many European countries, the US State Department recommends that American citizens traveling to the countries in the Schengen Area should have a passport with six months of remaining validity. That said, the official requirement is only three months. While the rules for entering the countries that are a part of the Schengen Agreement are slated to change with the introduction of the ETIAS visa waiver program in 2021, this is not expected to change the required amount of passport validity required for entry.

Africa

Alegeria
Angola
Botswana
Burundi
Cameroon
Central African Republic
Chad
Congo, Democratic Republic of the
Congo, Republic of the
Cote d'Ivoire
Djibouti
Equatorial Guinea
Eritrea
Ethiopia
Gabon
Ghana
Kenya
Malawi
Mauritania
Mozambique
Namibia
Rwanda
Sao Tome and Principe
Somalia
South Sudan
Sudan
Tanzania
Uganda
Zambia

Asia

Bahrain
Bangladesh
Bhutan
Brunei
Burma
Cambodia
China
Indonesia
Iran
Iraq
Israel
Jordan
Kazakhstan
Kuwait
Kyrgyzstan
Laos
Malaysia
Mongolia
Nepal
Oman
Pakistan
Philippines
Qatar
Russia
Saudi Arabia
Singapore
Sri Lanka
Tajikistan
Thailand
Timor-Leste (East Timor)
Turkmenistan
Turkey
United Arab Emirates
Vietnam
Yemen

N. America

Antigua and Barbuda
Grenada
Honduras
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Saint Lucia
Trinidad and Tobago

Oceania

Kiribati
Marshall Islands
Micronesia
Palau
Papua New Guinea
Tonga
Tuvalu
Vanuatu

S. America

Bolivia
Ecuador
Guyana
Suriname
Venezuela

Just discovered your passport doesn't have the six months of validity required?

Visit the nearest regional passport agency or get an expedited passport courier service to submit the application form on your behalf and renew your passport as quickly as the same day.

Pete

20 minutes ago, Skier52 said:

here is a  list from the  US passport service so it should be acceptable under your criterion

https://www.us-passport-service-guide.com/countries-that-require-six-months-validity-in-a-passport.html

Europe is absent from this list. Due to stricter border controls in many European countries, the US State Department recommends that American citizens traveling to the countries in the Schengen Area should have a passport with six months of remaining validity. That said, the official requirement is only three months. While the rules for entering the countries that are a part of the Schengen Agreement are slated to change with the introduction of the ETIAS visa waiver program in 2021, this is not expected to change the required amount of passport validity required for entry.

Africa

Alegeria
Angola
Botswana
Burundi
Cameroon
Central African Republic
Chad
Congo, Republic of the
Cote d'Ivoire
Djibouti
Equatorial Guinea
Eritrea
Ethiopia
Gabon
Ghana
Kenya
Malawi
Mauritania
Mozambique
Namibia
Rwanda
Sao Tome and Principe
Somalia
South Sudan
Sudan
Tanzania
Uganda
Zambia

Asia

Bahrain
Bangladesh
Bhutan
Brunei
Burma
Cambodia
China
Indonesia
Iran
Iraq
Israel
Jordan
Kazakhstan
Kuwait
Kyrgyzstan
Laos
Malaysia
Mongolia
Nepal
Oman
Pakistan
Philippines
Qatar
Russia
Saudi Arabia
Singapore
Sri Lanka
Tajikistan
Thailand
Timor-Leste (East Timor)
Turkmenistan
Turkey
United Arab Emirates
Vietnam
Yemen

N. America

Antigua and Barbuda
Grenada
Honduras
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Saint Lucia
Trinidad and Tobago

Oceania

Kiribati
Marshall Islands
Micronesia
Palau
Papua New Guinea
Tonga
Tuvalu
Vanuatu

S. America

Bolivia
Ecuador
Guyana
Suriname
Venezuela

Visit the nearest regional passport agency or get an expedited passport courier service to submit the application form on your behalf and renew your passport as quickly as the same day.

Pete

Does this list pertain to a Venezuelan citizen? 

1 hour ago, Skier52 said:

Africa

Alegeria
Angola
Botswana
Burundi
Cameroon
Central African Republic
Chad
Congo, Republic of the
Cote d'Ivoire
Djibouti
Equatorial Guinea
Eritrea
Ethiopia
Gabon
Ghana
Kenya
Malawi
Mauritania
Mozambique
Namibia
Rwanda
Sao Tome and Principe
Somalia
South Sudan
Sudan
Tanzania
Uganda
Zambia

Asia

Bahrain
Bangladesh
Bhutan
Brunei
Burma
Cambodia
China
Indonesia
Iran
Iraq
Israel
Jordan
Kazakhstan
Kuwait
Kyrgyzstan
Laos
Malaysia
Mongolia
Nepal
Oman
Pakistan
Philippines
Qatar
Russia
Saudi Arabia
Singapore
Sri Lanka
Tajikistan
Thailand
Timor-Leste (East Timor)
Turkmenistan
Turkey
United Arab Emirates
Vietnam
Yemen

N. America

Antigua and Barbuda
Grenada
Honduras
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Saint Lucia
Trinidad and Tobago

Oceania

Kiribati
Marshall Islands
Micronesia
Palau
Papua New Guinea
Tonga
Tuvalu
Vanuatu

S. America

Bolivia
Ecuador
Guyana
Suriname
Venezuela

Pete

1 hour ago, sparks1093 said:

Does this list pertain to a Venezuelan citizen? 

Once again you've quoted  a commercial for-profit passport expediting service. Two hints for you to keep in mind when searching for official information. First, the fact that this is a ".com" website virtually guarantees it's not a US government site, which normally are ".gov" sites, with perhaps the occasional ".org" for some quasi-governmental agencies. Second, please read the page you quoted. Right on the top of the web page it says "This is a privately owned website and not a government agency. Click to learn more."  

Sparks1093...I suspect your question is rhetorical, but in the event it isn't, this website clearly states in bold letters "The Six Month Validity Rule for U.S. Passports - List of Countries" so it's of no use for someone holding a Venezuelan passport.

Edited by njhorseman