Cost

babs135

DH and I often talk about taking a cruise with Regent but the truth is that I simply can't get my head around the cost of the fare.  I realise that there are a lot of extras included which means that we would have a better idea of how much our holiday cost but it is still that figure at the bottom of the page that resonates.  

What would you say to someone who is considering Regent but feels the same as me, or would you accept that for some people it is simply a step too far?

Whenever I look at the costs of a Regent itinerary I compare it to a mass market cruise, item by item including the cabin size, excursions, etc and see the Regents cruise is slightly more expensive.  Having recently taken a cruise on another smaller cruiseline that extra pampering on Regents is well worth the costs for us.

But for some people, it may not be.  It seems you have found another cruiseline you seem to enjoy, so shouldn't  worry about sailing Regent.

• Like 1

If you're comparing it to a cruise in a modest cabin on, say, Royal Caribbean, then it's obviously more expensive.

You need to do what's comfortable for you, but beware.  We took our first cruise on the Paul Gauguin in the South Pacific, which was managed at the time by Radisson (now Regent.)  Definitely a small-ship, luxury experience.  It was to be a once-in-a-lifetime experience.  But we were hooked, both on Tahiti and on luxury cruising, so we took fewer vacations, saved up, and managed a bunch more cruises.

Many people take their first cruise on a mass-market line and hate the whole idea of cruising.  And I can't explain to them why it's different on a small ship, with the staff at your beck and call.   So if you want to go that way, take the cheap alternative and see how you feel afterwards.

If you're willing to take the luxury gamble, choose a 7-day Caribbean trip and judge for yourself.   But beware, you might get hooked.

We are veterans of 37 cruises, most of them on Royal Caribbean.  When I retired over 2 years ago, out "retirement cruise" was going to be Australia, New Zealand, and the South Pacific.  We wanted to fly one way and cruise the other, and wanted to fly business class.  Well, last Nov-Dec. we did our first Regent cruise on the beautiful Mariner.  We flew to Honolulu (I did that flight on my own), sailed for 44 nights through French Polynesia, Fiji, Samoa, New Zealand, and Australia and spent 4 days in Sydney, and flew back via Regent Air in Business Class.  I had this cruise booked for over a year and during that time I researched ALL my options.  I checked Royal Caribbean, HAL, Celebrity, etc.  Yes, we could have done it on Holland America (that was the closest to the itinerary).  It would have still been over 40 days, but would have been 3 separate cruises.  We would have had to purchase a fight to Sydney, then a  7 night Sydney round trip cruise,  to Fiji, etc.  Then a few days in Sydney,  followed by another Sydney round trip around New Zealand, then the trans Pacific.  Those 2 would have been b2b on the same ship. Anyway, comparing it to a similar size suite, it would have cost as much or actually a bit more than the Mariner cruise, PLUS tips, shore excursions, specialty dining, drinks, and air fare.   So for that particular cruise, we were much better off on Regent and it was the most fantastic cruise ever. 

So yes, you can certainly do it cheaper on a mass market cruise line and small cabin.  But on many exotic cruises where you want business air and a suite for comfort, Regent is often in the ballpark price wise and is certainly a much nicer and more luxurious experience.  

I just booked Regent on Monday this week after all of our cruising on mass market lines.  My only advice, read the fine print, see how much of a reduction you get off the price when doing your own air.  My cruise was including Business Class Air & Transfers...by deducting that I saved $9,600 Canadian Per Person.  That's a massive savings and now the price really isn't that much more than Princess doing the same route.

• Like 1

Cruise Junky, Welcome to Regent!!! If you haven't done so check the "Member Referral Credit" thread. One of us can provide you the information so that you will receive a $250 credit on your cruise but it must be within 14 days of making your deposit. You have made an excellent choice in Regent!

@babs135,

It is not about cost but rather it is about value .......... together with the level of service and the ambience on board a luxury cruise line.

As well as reviewing what is included in the Regent inclusive package there are some things that Regent does not have which are very important to us:

• no crowds
  • no queues
  • no rush
  • no ship's photographers
  • no "art" auctions
  • no climbing walls
  • no water slides
  • no need to show your ship's card when ordering drinks
  • no extra charges for speciality restaurants
  • no bill at the end of the cruise
  • etc. etc.

However if initial cost is a real concern then stick with what works for you. It is good that we have so many choices in the holiday market these days.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, taxare said:

Cruise Junky, Welcome to Regent!!! If you haven't done so check the "Member Referral Credit" thread. One of us can provide you the information so that you will receive a $250 credit on your cruise but it must be within 14 days of making your deposit. You have made an excellent choice in Regent!

Already done :) there's a poster here who I've chatted with privately a couple of times on tours of wine regions that actually recommended Regent to me.

• Like 1

Cool Cruiser: 

Above contributions (contributors) have covered almost all of my thoughts on this matter.  Like many other Regent clients, our initial experience(s) were with larger ships, such as Holland America (HA) and Cunard.  But, back in 1997, HA managed to "loose" our reservation for a scheduled 2+week Baltics voyage.  Our Travel Agent (TA) at that time came to the rescue by putting us on a "new" ship--Silverseas' "Cloud". 

Transitioned from ships ranging in passenger complement from  1,200-2,500 to Cloud's bit-over 400.  With few exceptions (when sailing with extended family), we have remained with those smaller ships, whether Regent, Silversea, Seabourn, or Crystal.  As others have noted:  hooked by the all-inclusive concept, and all-those things we do not-not have to experience which usually obtain to the large-ship "ambience".  Again, this aspect has been covered.   

TS:  my one suggestion is to team-up with an experienced TA who has actually sailed on Regent, or a similar all-inclusive Line.  Many extra benefits accrue from such an association, to include significant enhanced on board credits, special events, and such.  These add to lessening "sticker shock".  For example:  yesterday's USPS included a rebate check from our TA which will go a long way in paying for the insurance we have taken out for our next Regent cruise. 

GOARMY!

GOARMY:  Ye gads.   Insurance for the two of us for our upcoming 12-day Regent cruise cost $4,221.   How I'd love to receive a rebate somewhere near that figure!

babs135:  Everyone has given sound advice.    For several reasons, we didn't think we'd much enjoy cruising, but Radisson/now Regent changed our minds.    I'm about 100% sure we'd not have liked a non-luxury cruise line, not because we like/need luxury, or even feel especially comfortable with it — but because of all the details mentioned in the other posts.    I hope you feel comfortable with whatever you decide and wish you many happy sails.     

11 hours ago, babs135 said:

DH and I often talk about taking a cruise with Regent but the truth is that I simply can't get my head around the cost of the fare.  I realise that there are a lot of extras included which means that we would have a better idea of how much our holiday cost but it is still that figure at the bottom of the page that resonates.  

What would you say to someone who is considering Regent but feels the same as me, or would you accept that for some people it is simply a step too far?

We are each different and in different circumstances.  Personally, if I think that something is too expensive for me I don't buy it.  If I think something is not value for money, I don't buy it.  No one can really offer much because the decision is so personal.  Only you can decide if you think it is value for money or the cost is just too high.

Another analogy is business class v economy class. The price difference is large. But in the end the destination is the same. The comfort level and quality of food and beverage are worlds apart. Some folks can’t afford business class and are fine with that, they still arrive at destination. Other folks would rather stay home if they couldn’t fly business. 

As others have said, if you get as close to 'apples-to-apples' as possible, there's not a huge price difference between Regent and the other mainstream lines.  By 'apples-to-apples' I mean including BC air, drinks, gratuities, excursions, larger cabins, etc.  So if you're used to going on a mainstream line, booking an inside cabin, not drinking any alcohol, doing few if any shore excursions, flying budget air, etc., the cost of a Regent cruise will most likely be prohibitive for you.  But if you go on a mainstream line, fly BC, pay for a booze package, excursions, upgraded suites, transfers, etc. all through the cruise line, the cost will be very, very close.

For us, it's about the 'one and done' convenience.  We write one check (albeit a pretty large one) and we're pretty much done.  Our one non-Regent cruise ended up costing us more than a comparable Regent cruise would have cost and we took it easy on drinks, dining, and excursions.  And the entire 15 days we felt as if we were getting nickle and dimed to death.  Swipe for this, swipe for that...no thanks, I can swipe for food and drinks at home.

The best thing to do is look at several alternatives, build out a comparison spreadsheet, and make sure you add ALL of the inclusions/exclusions that you can.  Once you have the 'true' cost of the cruise, as you prefer it, you can then make your decision.  Good luck!!

• Like 3

I'm coming at this from a slightly different perspective, but I'm responding in case my circumstances align with others.

I'm relatively new to cruising -- 4 cruises since Sep 2017 so far, 3 on Holland America, one on Regent, and I travel solo.  I have another HAL cruise this year (35 days to Ecuador and Peru).  I prefer longer cruises and that's a major factor driving my selection of RSSC for more of my cruise business.  Next year, 2020, I've booked over 200 days on Regent, 0 on HAL.

Traveling solo, I'm nearly always faced with the "single supplement" -- the extra "per person" cost intended to cover the fact that I'm a solo traveler occupying a cabin the would normally hold two people.  Different cruise lines handle this differently:  it is very rare on HAL to pay less than 100% single supplement (I've never paid less than 100% although I've seen a few "last minute" sales where the supplement is reduced to 80% or 85%).  Other cruise lines offer savings on certain cruises or have specific "solo" cabins (usually MUCH smaller, usually inside or barebones ocean view or small balcony).  

Regent, on the other hand, offers a much more attractive single supplement amounting to around 40-45% of the "brochure" price.  There may also be an early booking discount that more than covers the single supplement on Regent.  

When I decided to look at a world cruise for 2020, I looked at both HAL and RSSC.  The length is nearly identical: 128 days for HAL, 131 days for RSSC.  The itineraries are different:  HAL, after leaving India, travels south around Africa; RSSC travels around the Middle East and through the Suez Canal to the Mediterranean.  I tried to do as close to an "apples to apples" comparison as far as cabin size/amenities is concerned.  The closest size was HAL's Vista or Signature suite vs RSSC Concierge Suite, but the Concierge Suite includes amenities more comparable to the HAL Neptune Suite.  With HAL's introduction of their new "Club Orange" which provides Neptune amenities to lower cabin categories, I was able to compare HAL Vista/Signature including the CO surcharge to RSSC Concierge.

Just considering basic fare alone for a solo traveler, RSSC was $20K less than HAL without adding in the extras I would have to pay for on HAL.  Again, this is for a SOLO traveler booking the entire 131-day cruise.  On HAL, I would then have to add:  wine packages (I spent $600 for 28 days; 128 days would be around $2,750); specialty dining (probably $500); excursions (probably $2000 or more), etc.  All of these are included in the RSSC base fare, along with a lot of extras NOT included on HAL (Visas, onboard medical, etc.).  

So, as a solo traveler, RSSC is clearly the more economical choice IF one is comparing comparable cabins/suites.  To be sure, a smaller cabin with fewer amenities would cost less, and I know a number of people for whom this is the overriding concern.  But for me, I need a verandah/balcony, and enough room to "spread out" a bit (at least 300 sq ft).  Add in the smaller ship size (700 for RSSC; 1400 for HAL), and the level of service and quality of food, and there's really no comparison.

I'll still look at HAL -- they have some very interesting itineraries that are unique to HAL.  But RSSC is getting more and more of my business primarily due to the overall experience vs cost.  As a solo traveler, the cost vs anticipated experience overrides everything, and RSSC (so far) wins most of the time.

Lana in Bellingham, WA

• Like 1

ArtsyCraftsy; we sail both Regent and Silversea (about 15 cruises on each).  When we cruise as a couple most likely we will sail Regent, but now when I want to do an expedition cruise (my wife will not do the Artic or Antarctica) I choose Silversea as a Solo.

Silversea by a wide margin offers more attractive single fares than Regent.  For example you will now find on Silversea offers for expedition voyages (some 10% single supplement) and regular cruises (almost three dozen at just 25% single supplement all categories of suites).

And last month as a solo did a regular cruise as a solo (at $0 single supplement)  Asia Singapore to Singapore (highlight was four days in Myanmar). And this voyage was a Silversea special including all excursions, reduced BC air, $1000 SBC, plus two suite category upgrade.

11 hours ago, WesW said:

ArtsyCraftsy; we sail both Regent and Silversea (about 15 cruises on each).  When we cruise as a couple most likely we will sail Regent, but now when I want to do an expedition cruise (my wife will not do the Artic or Antarctica) I choose Silversea as a Solo.

Silversea by a wide margin offers more attractive single fares than Regent.  For example you will now find on Silversea offers for expedition voyages (some 10% single supplement) and regular cruises (almost three dozen at just 25% single supplement all categories of suites).

And last month as a solo did a regular cruise as a solo (at $0 single supplement)  Asia Singapore to Singapore (highlight was four days in Myanmar). And this voyage was a Silversea special including all excursions, reduced BC air, $1000 SBC, plus two suite category upgrade.

Thanks, Wes.  I’ve been keeping an eye on Silversea since I first heard about their lower single supplement, but so far I haven't found a cruise that fits into my schedule.  At the moment, I’m booked through 2020, so I’ll be looking more closely at their 2021 offerings.  I’m definitely committed to smaller ships and longer cruises (preferably 21+ days) -- probably not their expedition cruises, though; they sound exciting but I’m probably not up to it physically.  So I’ll see what they have in store for 2021.

Lana in Bellingham, WA

• Like 1

Keep in mind that, while Silversea is a lovely cruise line, it is VERY formal. We sailed on Silversea three times and found the food and service to be good but the crew and passengers were no where near Regent’s level of warmth and congenitally.  

Lana; the $0 single supplement sales generally are in the new year.  Will let u know when they come out.  And just want to say I love your contagious enthusiasm for Regent and joy you share when you cruise--it is so refreshing to read such exuberance--thanks for contributing very well to this board.  A few of us (RachelG, et. al) sincerely enjoy cruising on both Regent and Silversea-- and after near 15 cruises on both lines (not just a few on Silversea years ago) we find most passengers on both Silversea and Regent, like minded/friendly and engaging on both lines.

Silversea expeditions cruises dress is elegant casual, generally just a few men wear jackets sans ties during Captain's welcome and farewell.  Recommend you take a look at a brief expedition cruise (7-10days) give it a try--believe you will find you can do most of the excursions.

Leave for the Artic (Reykjavik to Tromso) mid June, and then Costa Rica & Ecuador end of October.  Both single supplements (25% and 10% respectively).  We (Ida and I) will sail with Regent with one of our fav co-bloggers besides RachelG, Mr. Rumor (Rich &Ginny) next July on the Explorer, then head to the newest Silversea Ship--the Moon in November for its maiden Europe to US crossing with about a dozen very close Silversea cruise critic friends.  In 2021 we will enjoy the Explorer with our close Atlanta friends (forgap/Jennifer and Georges) in April on Tokyo to Vancouver.

Edited by WesW

Just wanted to say that it's really sweet to hear about the happy connections that people make on board.    And also lovely that so many people are so gracious about helping others. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, WesW said:

We just tried to book our second Silversea cruise with the 2 of us in one cabin and my brother as a single in another cabin. It was an expensive cruise from Easter Island to Papeette. My brother's cheapest room on the ship (he really wanted to do this itinarary, and wouldn't have wanted this cabin otherwise) would have bee almost 25,000 dollars. For the 2 of us in a veranda suite would have been 44,000 dollars. Business class airfare was definitely not included in that price. We decided to pass as it was too expensive without even looking at what the airfare would have cost (both guys need extra legroom). 

We previously did a Silversea cruise to the Amazon from Barbados, with my brother in veranda suite,  and us in a silver suite on the Silver Whisper (our best ever cabin, and much better than a neptune suite on HAL). His single supplement was definitely no where near zero on that cruise, but it was less than our attempt at a second Silversea cruise.  Also, we can cheaply get to Barbados and back from FLL so airfare was a big difference on the Easter Island to PPT cruise. Regent includes business class airfare on intercontinenal flights (and some connecting flights to them as well). 

And as to the dress code, Silversea required tie and jacket, or formal with a dark suite (or tux - never happening on any cruise for us) for our Silver Whisper cruise.  Women have a much easier time adhering to the dress code on Silversea so that wouldn't seem to be a consideration.

We love smaller ships, and long cruises. We have 2 Regent cruises, 2 Paul Gauguin cruises, and our first Viking River Cruise booked in the next 14 months, but less than have of ArtsyCraftsy 200 days. Wow, that sounds great. We did one cruise on HAL in a Neptune Suite (the last Holiday Cruise on the Prinsendam). If we hadn't been in a Neptune Suite, I would have been very unhappy. We won't be booking on HAL again, even if it allows us to cruise without flying. 

2 hours ago, WesW said:

Lana; the $0 single supplement sales generally are in the new year.  Will let u know when they come out.  And just want to say I love your contagious enthusiasm for Regent and joy you share when you cruise--it is so refreshing to read such exuberance--thanks for contributing very well to this board.  A few of us (RachelG, et. al) sincerely enjoy cruising on both Regent and Silversea-- and after near 15 cruises on both lines (not just a few on Silversea years ago) we find most passengers on both Silversea and Regent, like minded/friendly and engaging on both lines.

Silversea expeditions cruises dress is elegant casual, generally just a few men wear jackets sans ties during Captain's welcome and farewell.  Recommend you take a look at a brief expedition cruise (7-10days) give it a try--believe you will find you can do most of the excursions.

Leave for the Artic (Reykjavik to Tromso) mid June, and then Costa Rica & Ecuador end of October.  Both single supplements (25% and 10% respectively).  We (Ida and I) will sail with Regent with one of our fav co-bloggers besides RachelG, Mr. Rumor (Rich &Ginny) next July on the Explorer, then head to the newest Silversea Ship--the Moon in November for its maiden Europe to US crossing with about a dozen very close Silversea cruise critic friends.  In 2021 we will enjoy the Explorer with our close Atlanta friends (forgap/Jennifer and Georges) in April on Tokyo to Vancouver.

Thanks, Wes -- I really appreciate your thoughts on all this.  I still consider myself a "cruise newbie" but I'm learning with each cruise I take. This year, I'm "trying out" Oceania on a short Alaska cruise roundtrip from Seattle in July just to see how they measure up.  So I may do something similar with Silversea in 2021 as I know they, too, do Alaska cruises (out of Vancouver, I think).  I also have another HAL cruise in the fall: 35 days to Ecuador and Peru, starting in Seattle, ending in San Diego which is a "focused" cruise centered around Incan history, culture, and archeology.

In 2020, I have the 131-day "Navigate the World" on the Mariner (San Francisco to San Francisco) 24 Jan to 4 Jun; a short 14-day Alaska cruise Vancouver-Vancouver in July on the Mariner; and the 68-day "Grand Cape Horn Adventure" Los Angeles to Miami around South America - Oct 29 - Jan 5, ALSO on the Mariner.  I didn't specifically try to book everything on the Mariner -- it just turned out that way.  I'm also looking at the Grand Arctic Discovery itinerary for 2021.  It hasn't been announced yet -- the 2020 version is 91 days, roundtrip from New York starting in June, so if it's offered in 2021, I would expect a similar schedule.  

My intent is to continue booking and taking cruises until I'm no longer physically able to do so.  I got a late start and my bucket list of "places to see before I die" is long.  The longer itineraries allow me to see more of those places.  (#1 on the list is "Lapland" -- I started my list when I was 7 years old when my 2nd-grade class read "Children of the Northlights" about a brother and sister in Lapland, each chapter outlining some aspect of their lives. -- Grand Arctic Discovery would take care of that one ... )  😊

Lana in Bellingham, WA

Lana; Gosh you're the cruising diva--going on so many wonderful itineraries.   We will both share (Puntarenas, Guayaquil)  Peru and Ecuador ports (tho at different days)this fall.   Would love to do longer voyages but we still have two 15 year old fursons at home.

SWFLAOK, sorry your were not able to find a deal on the Explorer Easter Island to Papeete.  We hope to visit both Easter Island and Pitcairn Islands in the future.

Tho, you are also have terrific voyages upcoming--we love the Paul Gauguin too, we just came back from French Polynesia on the Mariner last November.  Pls remember, alas, the majority  of Silversea's expeditions cruises (besides having a near $1000 day per diem) have a 100% single supplement (e.g. wanted to do Southwest Australia on the Explorer in early 2021 (Melbourne to Darwin, but a single supp of 100%, meant the fare would have been north of $50k) no way w/o my wife.  Tho Easter Island to Papette does offer either included Economy Air or reduced BC fare, all transfers and one included hotel night.

Not a whole lot to add to what others have said except to say that, if taking an inside cabin,no alcohol and no excursions, flying coach is what you like, then Regent is definitely too expensive for you.  However if you get a large cabin or suite, fly business class, have a few drinks and do excursions, then regent will probably be close in price or even less expensive.

We cruise regularly on both Regent and Silversea.  We enjoy both.  We do take the air and hotel credit which decreases the cost very substantially in some cases.  We also cruise Oceania, but lux it up to the level we would have on Regent or Silversea,so the cost is same or more.