It Pays to Read Posts

ZSandy25

I enjoy reading the CC forum for information and help in areas that might pertain to our itinerary or future cruises.  While on board the Eurodam in Feb. I purchased a FCC.  I used it to book a cruise Feb. 2020 when I got home.    Today while looking thru the forums I read about booking onboard etc.  Then I noticed a posting about booking a new cruise within 60 days of prior cruise and receiving double SBC using a code ZPM.  Well my friends I called my TA who called HAL and I was eligible for the extra OBC.  Very pleased with myself right now.  Thanks to all who take the time to post such good info and reminders....

• Like 9

I, too, am appreciative of the information that can be found in this forum.  While I cannot describe myself as a seasoned "cruiser", I've been around long enough to value the information and advice that is given on the HAL board.  On some occasions, the information provided by CC members is more timely and more accurate than the information that I receive from my PCC.  Thank you to all of the long-time contributors to this forum.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, taxmantoo said:

Just wondering why your travel agent did not automatically ask HAL for the ZPM credit while booking your 2020 cruise when you got back home?  Guess not all travel agents are created equal LOL 🙄 

I doubt that there are many TA's who know every single wrinkle of every policy of every cruise line. If there were, CC wouldn't thrive. If you know one, send him/her my way! :classic_biggrin: 

Recently, my sister cruised HA for the first time.  I suggested she come to CC for info, but she never did.  She kept asking me questions which I was glad to answer, though much of the info came from CC.  Some from personal experience.  She marveled that I "knew" so much.  When she returned home, she thanked me, said that the info was invaluable to her enjoyment.  Since she is ready to cruise HA again, I tried to steer her to CC, but she claims she doesn't have time.  She really doesn't know what she's missing.  Thanks to all who post and help to make these threads a "go-to" source for info.

• Like 2

I read this board voraciously before my first HAL cruise including the entire HAL for Dummies pinned post. Got so much fantastic info and pointers about the ship, how things work, things to look for, etc. By the time I got to the ship, I didn't feel like much of a n00b at all. Cruise Critic is a fantastic resource and I've benefited greatly from the knowledge I've gained here. And I try to pay it forward when I feel that I have something useful to add to the conversations here too.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, sevenseasnomad said:

Recently, my sister cruised HA for the first time.  I suggested she come to CC for info, but she never did.  She kept asking me questions which I was glad to answer, though much of the info came from CC.  Some from personal experience.  She marveled that I "knew" so much.  When she returned home, she thanked me, said that the info was invaluable to her enjoyment.  Since she is ready to cruise HA again, I tried to steer her to CC, but she claims she doesn't have time.  She really doesn't know what she's missing.  Thanks to all who post and help to make these threads a "go-to" source for info.

She " has time" to ask you questions.  My TA used to be the one that everyone asked questions to because she and her husband cruised a lot. She figured that she mind as well make money with her knowledge.  People kept asking her questions but also kept booking different web sites online and not with her because they just didn't see her as a travel agent...just a friend who answered all of their questions....DUH !  She even told them that she could match whatever prices they found online and if she couldn't she'd tell them.  I guess "her friends" just didn't want her to make any money off of them.  !?!  I stayed with her even after I moved out of state. 

5 hours ago, Himself said:

have been on the boars sice September 2000 and I have learned much over the years  from the postings on this page.

They are ships.😎..you can put a boat on a ship but you can't put a ship on a boat😁 My husband was in the Navy and that misuse of the terms drives him crazy...I just say then...why was it THE LOVE BOAT ?

8 hours ago, myjillian said:

They are ships.😎..you can put a boat on a ship but you can't put a ship on a boat😁 My husband was in the Navy and that misuse of the terms drives him crazy...I just say then...why was it THE LOVE BOAT ?

Sorry, I did not catch the typo/  I meant to say I have been on the BOARDS. since 2000.  Actually I have been on the ships since 1996.

• Like 1

We probably all have one or two of those friends who may be 4 or 5 star Mariners and yet really don't know much about HAL cruising!  In my case those friends don't read CC.  Or they may only post on roll calls.  In the 12 years I've been reading this board, the amount I've learned is priceless!  😃

3 hours ago, Himself said:

Sorry, I did not catch the typo/  I meant to say I have been on the BOARDS. since 2000.  Actually I have been on the ships since 1996.

My first cruise was a Cunard  in the 1060"s I discovered CC about 9 yrs ago on a TA.  We met some nice people at lunch and they invited us to take a tour of the Captains Bridge with their CC group.  The rest is history I remember having a hard time registering with a name, everything I wanted was taken.  I ended up with MyJillian , one of my grandbabies.  Once another grandbaby was next to me when I was on CC and he got his nose out of joint because he saw Jillians name....wanted to know why it wasn't his name ( he was older) I showed him that his name was my secret password...much more important...he was happy ( we have 12 grand kids...) LOL😋

A few years ago I met with an agent for the "big box" company whose sale starts soon. Not only was she pretty clueless about cruising, when I mentioned Cruise Critic she told me how much she hates it and all the "wrong" information on it.

Needless to say, the meeting was very short. 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

My sometimes travel agent asks me sometimes for advice when she is going somewhere we have been and she hasn't.  That makes me feel good lol.  Of course I have learned so much from the CC boards and I also read a few bloggers that cruise a lot and get a lot of good tips from them also.  It feels good to get on a ship and know what to do.