Travel restrictions to Cuba. Cruises may be coming to an end.

Retired LEO

That’s one of the reasons why we jumped on the opportunity to sail to Cuba as quickly as we could, fearing that a reversal on policies would prevent us from going there if we waited. And so glad we did because it’s a fascinating country.

Sad to hear this for the Cuban people who benefit from cruise ship visits. 

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, ShillyShally said:

I was just checking to see if this was already posted, I'll be really curious when this will be implemented and how it will affect those booked already since Royal always says they can change the ports but....

I agree they can change ports  but since  this was implemented as purely  a  political  event and not weather or ship mechanical issues involved hopefully Royal will allow options to us.

1 minute ago, Tony O said:

I agree they can change ports  but since  this was implemented as purely  a  political  event and not weather or ship mechanical issues involved hopefully Royal will allow options to us.

Agreed!  I'm certain most everyone booked those specifically for Cuba!  I could see them allowing 2019 to continue but closing it as early as 1/1/20 but could also see them changing it sooner or later!

10 minutes ago, BEENSAILING said:

This is not to begin political discussion. I wonder what time frame begins for cruises?

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation-world/world/americas/cuba/article229341009.html

Already being discussed:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2655876-travel-restrictions-to-cuba-cruises-may-be-coming-to-an-end/

31 minutes ago, ShillyShally said:

Agreed!  I'm certain most everyone booked those specifically for Cuba!  I could see them allowing 2019 to continue but closing it as early as 1/1/20 but could also see them changing it sooner or later!

The ban takes effect on May 2 2019

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ShillyShally said:

Ah, I didn't see the date in the article I read, I wonder if there will be any grace period?  

The step was formally announced by Secretary of State Mike Pompeo on Wednesday morning and scheduled to take effect on May 2.

I did not read any grace period in thecarticke.

• Like 2

We are sailing  on Majesty  next week to Havana. After today’s announcements- will we still go?

When do the new restrictions go into effect? 

Edited by RMLERL

So thankful to have made it there last month. I got resistance from a lot of people asking Why Cuba? and I tried to explain to them that it's historic and something very few will have the chance to have had. 

• Like 3

Booked for September on Empress visiting Havana.. Seems like there is a new ban unless traveling to visit immediate family members. We are banned as we have no family members there. I booked a fully refundable fare as I thought this might happen.  I understand that the ports are subject to change, so I am glad I can cancel  before final payment without penalty. Hopefully others did the same as the Cuba cruises have always been subject to change in my mind.

Edited by coaster
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Newleno said:

yeah  a lot of people on vacation want to relax and get away from reality, thats the point!  They literally look at brochures to do this.

Exactly. And for them, Cuba is not the right destination. It is one of those places that requires research well beyond the pretty photos on brochures or travel websites. For those who go knowing what to expect, it’s an absolutely fascinating destination. 

• Like 2