Travel restrictions to Cuba. Cruises may be coming to an end.

Retired LEO

18 hours ago, donaldsc said:

Easy way to get to Cuba.  Fly to Canada.  Then fly to Cuba.  Then take a land tour.  People have been doing that for years.

DON

One of the new regs will stop that . Now you will have to be part of a US approved tour group and there is a list of hotels you can't use and places you can't go; because they are "owned" by the military

Americans living near the Canadian border have been coming and buying AI's in Cuba for many years.  They simply did not get their passports stamped, could not use their credit cards in Cuba, but instead took Canadian dollars to Cuba because of the preferred exchange rate.

In the winter there are many inexpensive flights and AI's leaving weekly from most larger Canadian cities to various beach locations in Cuba.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, LynnTTT said:

One of the new regs will stop that . Now you will have to be part of a US approved tour group and there is a list of hotels you can't use and places you can't go; because they are "owned" by the military

I'm pretty sure that the same situation and restrictions existed previously, but they apply to those leaving from the US (and presumably to those who follow the rules even if the US isn't looking).  It has not stopped many Americans from getting to Cuba via channels such as those described by Don and Ian. I wouldn't do it due to potential repercussions with my employer. But I know plenty who have.

20 hours ago, donaldsc said:

Easy way to get to Cuba.  Fly to Canada.  Then fly to Cuba.  Then take a land tour.  People have been doing that for years.

DON

Why bother? There are many other much nicer places to visit with direct flight, less hassle, no visa fee and cheaper than Cuba. If I want to go to Havana to see some 50's Chevy knockoffs, I can do that at Vegas car show or museum.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 2Beeze said:

So I am confused - what you are saying seems to differ quite drastically from the traditional American values of choice, the freedom to live by our own standards rather than another’s,  and that recently unfashionable thing called Democracy. Yet @cruisemom42 is voicing opinions that seek more in line with those precious values that once brought us together under one US Constitution.  So I am confused by your unrelenting argument with her and I am frustrated by how a discussion about visiting Cuba became a rallying cry for some cause none of us know anything about and reached this ridiculous level of venom. If someone doesn’t agree with the general theme of the thread, the correct action seems to be to go peacefully and participate in a thread more to their liking.  🏼

Well said.  I’m convinced this isn’t anything more than Republican vs Democratic views on Cuba being displayed and nothing really to do about harboring fugitives (ridiculous).

If  you’re politically against it, have the guts and just say that.

Personally I’m independent and have an open mind (like to think for myself) and visited Cuba on a cruise last month.  What I found were very welcoming, nice, honest and decent people that appreciate American tourists.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Luckiestmanonearth said:

Personally I’m independent and have an open mind (like to think for myself) and visited Cuba on a cruise last month.  What I found were very welcoming, nice, honest and decent people that appreciate American tourists.

😀  And they are very good actors!

They appreciate Tourists'  💲 💚

6 minutes ago, DirtyDawg said:

😀  And they are very good actors!

They appreciate Tourists'  💲 💚

Valid point but isn’t that the same of every Caribbean island ?

And do you really believe that every Cuban citizen are the same and that none are decent people ? (which is what your post is implying)

Edited by Luckiestmanonearth
  • Like 2

On 4/19/2019 at 1:12 PM, sandyss said:

We seem to be getting somewhat off-topic. 

Since we are among those who have chosen to travel to Cuba, I am more interested in finding out the status of our cruise.  We have a cruise to Cuba booked in December.

Has anyone talked with HAL and found out anything further as to whether cruises will be allowed to dock in Cuba later this year????

Thank You!!

This is the only reason I subscribed to this thread.   I and many others are not interested in a 5 day cruise to the Bahamas, where we have been many times, for twice the price.

2 hours ago, missdenise said:

Thank You!!

This is the only reason I subscribed to this thread.   I and many others are not interested in a 5 day cruise to the Bahamas, where we have been many times, for twice the price.

All we can say is to stay tuned, keep a constant eye on whichever website your cruise is with and be prepared for what happens. If you used a TA, be sure to stay on their case to keep you totally informed.  

Best thoughts that everything works out for you.   

4 hours ago, missdenise said:

Has anyone talked with HAL and found out anything further as to whether cruises will be allowed to dock in Cuba later this year????

I found this answer on the Holland America forum:

This is the official announcement from HAL:

“Holland America is evaluating the announcement on Cuba travel, but we have not made any changes to our itineraries. We will continue to monitor the situation and notify booked guests if their itinerary is affected.”

54 minutes ago, Shmoo here said:

I found this answer on the Holland America forum:

This is the official announcement from HAL:

“Holland America is evaluating the announcement on Cuba travel, but we have not made any changes to our itineraries. We will continue to monitor the situation and notify booked guests if their itinerary is affected.”

Reading between the lines, that says we intend to go unless the US government forces us not to go. If that happens, we really have no choice in the matter.

FYI

If you hover your cursor over the name of a poster, you can check "Ignore User".  Then you need to choose what to ignore.  There are 4 choices.  Check the options that you want and hit Update.

I just used that feature, and it worked great!!

14 hours ago, sandyss said:

FYI

If you hover your cursor over the name of a poster, you can check "Ignore User".  Then you need to choose what to ignore.  There are 4 choices.  Check the options that you want and hit Update.

I guess you didn't ignore me, since I could see your post 😉  Thanks!

16 hours ago, sandyss said:

FYI

2 hours ago, slidergirl said:

Just be aware, if anyone quotes an ignored user, you still will see their posts.

And an ignored user isn't notified that you are ignoring them.  They have no way of knowing they are being ignored.

7 hours ago, Shmoo here said:

Just be aware, if anyone quotes an ignored user, you still will see their posts.

And an ignored user isn't notified that you are ignoring them.  They have no way of knowing they are being ignored.

I know I can see quotes.  I know CC doesn't notify anyone  I was just having some fun in a thread that got very nasty and contentious...  

On 4/23/2019 at 1:55 PM, slidergirl said:

Fortunately or unfortunately, the “ignore” at cc doesn’t act as a block as the kind that is at FB  (although I sooooo wish that it did!). My understanding is that you will no longer see the ignored person’s post and other type of entries, but they can still see everything you post. So you might blissfully I aware, but that person can keep snapping (or whatever behavior it is that wish to avoid) you if they wish. 

1 hour ago, 2Beeze said:

Fortunately or unfortunately, the “ignore” at cc doesn’t act as a block as the kind that is at FB  (although I sooooo wish that it did!). My understanding is that you will no longer see the ignored person’s post and other type of entries, but they can still see everything you post. So you might blissfully I aware, but that person can keep snapping (or whatever behavior it is that wish to avoid) you if they wish. 

My aim was to avoid seeing the repetitive rants from a certain person.  She can keep it up, but at least I won't waste my time reading her posts in the future.

• Like 1

I  was on  RCCL Jewel earlier this month and was at next cruise desk to book cruise to Cuba for 2020. They advised they only are offering dates already published thru end of 2019 and those subject to change likely as result of this situation

14 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

I think I'll stop here.

Maybe it's time to bring this thread back on topic?

Of course, we won't know anything until we each hear from our particular cruise lines how/if the new restrictions are going to affect our cruises.

But, I'm certain, if the itinerary just gets changed "because they can" to eliminate the Cuba ports, we'll be cancelling, because that's the only reason we booked that cruise.

• Like 1

I hope that those sailing to Cuba this year will return and post about their experiences. Hopefully, this will not become a permanent ban.

Also, gratified to see that offensive posts are swiftly removed by the moderators.

• Like 1

As I said before I was attacked,  all we can do is to keep up to date on what will happen, especially those who have reservations already for a Cuba cruise.   I hope this is just another temporary attempt to keep American citizens from visiting an island that everyone else in the world (I think) is allowed to visit.   US citizens were not allowed to visit Viet Nam for a long time, but it's now on the regular tourist track for us.   From hearing how beautiful Iran is from my 2 former managers (both Persian), and watching Anthony Bourdain visit Iran, I hope that I can visit there one day, also.  

"Also, gratified to see that offensive posts are swiftly removed by the moderators." - not fast enough for my blood pressure.  I'm a bait-taker, what can I say...but, I thank those who came to my defense.   

Edited by slidergirl
  • Like 1

We are really big on MYOB.

If someone does not want to visit another country fine, don't go.    But don't criticize or discourage others who have a different perspective or may not be subject to these ridiculous restrictions. 

Edited by iancal
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, iancal said:

We are really big on MYOB.

If someone does not want to visit another country fine, don't go.    But don't criticize or discourage others who have a different perspective. 

I believe in freedom to travel.  Isn't that part of our "pursuit of happiness*?"  It should be a personal risk and choice.   I do not want to be told that I cannot visit somewhere because a government doesn't want me to go someplace.   

Iancal - does Canada have any restrictions on any countries?  

* from the US Declaration of Independence

• Like 1