Formal nights

Vampiress88

Do you have a smart pair of black trousers that you can team with a sparkly top and maybe some nice shoes? I think it looks just as good, and if you feel comfortable you look so much more confident. I do have a lovely black lacy cocktail dress but I only wear that if I feel extremely slim, otherwise it's trousers for me!

4 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

Is 2 formal nights on a 7 night cruise too much?

We enjoy the balance.

Perhaps they are outdated, but we enjoy making an effort and would be very disappointed if they were scrapped.

On the other hand, we would not book a cruise where it was compulsory every night.

These ships have enough options for people who don't want to partake for a couple of nights.

This is the joy of modern day cruising, there is something for everyone.

Andy

I think one formal night on a 7 night cruise is enough.

We did the first one on Saturday evening, but didn’t bother with the second one. Once was enough for us.

27 minutes ago, arendale1 said:

I think one formal night on a 7 night cruise is enough.

We did the first one on Saturday evening, but didn’t bother with the second one. Once was enough for us.

That's my point.

You had other options so didn't feel obliged to do it all again.

For us, 2 nights from 7 is just about right.

Hope you had a good time.

Andy

On Oceana the formal night dress code applies to the main dining rooms and one bar, the rest of the ship is evening casual. I could see this being applied to the rest of the fleet. The P&O site still lists Oceana's Yacht & Compass and the Glass House on Azura/Ventura as having a formal dress code, my experience aboard is this is not true.

On 4/18/2019 at 1:29 PM, docco said:

Couldn’t agree more. An entirely sensible and practical solution. Not one which will appeal, though, to some of the current P&O customers.

It will come, though, sure as eggs, after they’ve ceased cruising. I’ll give it a maximum of 5 years. Probably a lot sooner.

I find it amusing that those who have done formal nights should happily deprive those who come after the pleasure of at least trying it,docco I believe your wide of the mark p&o would not do it if there was not a demand for it.

59 minutes ago, Bazrat said:

I find it amusing that those who have done formal nights should happily deprive those who come after the pleasure of at least trying it,docco I believe your wide of the mark p&o would not do it if there was not a demand for it.

Absolutely right - and P&O do know their market.  P&O attracts a certain sort of customer, and currently a lot of them like the formal nights.  That used to be the way with other cruise lines, but one by one they've dropped it as tastes (and customers) have changed.

Nothing stands still.  Nothing stays the same.  As the older customers leave P&O and are replaced by younger ones (and there are far fewer younger ones wanting to dress up, though there are some) P&O, knowing their market, will quietly drop it - or maybe restrict it to certain locations only for the die-hards.  Nobody's trying to deprive anybody of anything - it's just a case of plain commerciality. 

I stand by the 5 year maximum prediction - we'll just have to wait and see, won't we?

Our next cruise is October and I've picked up a formal frock (Monsoon) in grey chiffon with sparkly bits for a fiver in a charity shop.  Most of my formal wear over the years has come via this route - the when I tire of it, I re-donate.  I have no qualms about second hand.  😀

• Like 2

I got this dress now. Least it’s mostly black lol. 

Not gonna put the kids in black or white. There isn’t any black ones I’ve seen and white is a no go with my youngest especially I would be better off throwing money down a drain! They do have party dresses though and they do like to wear them so they will be in those just more of a random colour but I’ve read kids don’t need to be too dressed up. My 4 year old has been asking for heels though (erm....no) not for the cruise but to impress a boy apparently something her nan has told her 🙄

am am going to brave the shops to try on the navy dress tomorrow otherwise I’ll just have this one. 

BF1D6C3E-DD73-4137-8875-3CB5CAFD0B7D.png

• Like 1

That is a lovely dress. I cruised for 3 years before I bought a black and white long dress.I like dresses but like brighter colours so didn't buy a black/white dress until I saw one I really liked and never felt out of place in navy blue or even bolder colour!Have a great cruise 🙂 

• Like 1

Is the black and white night actually a formal night? I thought it is an extra night to the formal ones.

If that is so, you can wear black skirt or trousers with a white top or vice versa, or a not so formal black and white dress. 

Have a look at this website, it has some reasonable priced dresses and  some in the sale (don't know if they will be suitable for you not knowing your size/height/taste, but it has a mixture of ages and formal/non formal). it has white trousers, jump suits, formal dresses, not so formal dresses and everyday wear. It came up with 20% off just after I opened the page. 

https://www.klass.co.uk/

You have though already picked a nice dress. Good luck.

42 minutes ago, emam said:

Is the black and white night actually a formal night? I thought it is an extra night to the formal ones.

If that is so, you can wear black skirt or trousers with a white top or vice versa, or a not so formal black and white dress. 

Have a look at this website, it has some reasonable priced dresses and  some in the sale (don't know if they will be suitable for you not knowing your size/height/taste, but it has a mixture of ages and formal/non formal). it has white trousers, jump suits, formal dresses, not so formal dresses and everyday wear. It came up with 20% off just after I opened the page. 

https://www.klass.co.uk/

You have though already picked a nice dress. Good luck.

B&W night is formal. That’s why it is so easy for the gents.

On 4/19/2019 at 12:21 PM, Babyeddiedog said:

Do you have a smart pair of black trousers that you can team with a sparkly top and maybe some nice shoes? I think it looks just as good, and if you feel comfortable you look so much more confident. I do have a lovely black lacy cocktail dress but I only wear that if I feel extremely slim, otherwise it's trousers for me!

I have one pair of black trousers currently. Haven’t worn them since the last cruise quite surprised they are still here. 

Have looked again on p&o website and I’m still struggling. So I have my one dress for the two formals. For the casual I have lots of nice tops and heels but not so much for the bottom half. I literally live in black leggings. I have one pair of grey jeans. Not sure if leggings will exactly be ok or not though. 

The photo of “example outfits” on p&o website isn’t helping. Unfortunately I am 30 and to me the trouser outfit in this picture is beyond my years I would say. 

Anyone got any other suggestions. Bet I won’t even go further than the buffet after all this 🙄

D1B73C70-E20E-42EC-BC1B-D2A2E7978995.png

I disagree about the need or desire to discontinue formal nights.  Some of the younger cruisers take part very enthusiastically and personally noticing now that jeans are acceptable at home even in nice restaurants I enjoy the "dressing up".  I think first timers do overthink it -I have worn Christmas party frocks and dresses bought for weddings - surely everyone has these??  This year I am chuffed at finding (Kim &Co on QVC) a perfect black and white sparkly top to go with my black palazzo trousers for that particular night.

At the end of the day, the brochure and website are clear enough - if dressing smartly is a hardship maybe just stick to Marella!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Vampiress88 said:

I have one pair of black trousers currently. Haven’t worn them since the last cruise quite surprised they are still here. 

Have looked again on p&o website and I’m still struggling. So I have my one dress for the two formals. For the casual I have lots of nice tops and heels but not so much for the bottom half. I literally live in black leggings. I have one pair of grey jeans. Not sure if leggings will exactly be ok or not though. 

The photo of “example outfits” on p&o website isn’t helping. Unfortunately I am 30 and to me the trouser outfit in this picture is beyond my years I would say. 

Anyone got any other suggestions. Bet I won’t even go further than the buffet after all this 🙄

I really wouldn't worry about those pictures on the P&O site. I don't think you'll see anyone dressed like that! 

If you're only 30 you're very lucky, make the most of it and look fab in what you feel comfortable in. Everybody's idea of what looks good is just their opinion. If you would like some inspiration check out the Bantoa website, they put together some lovely outfits, they might give you some ideas which include leggings, which are after all just well fitting trousers. If it's any help I wear black wide leg palazzo pants from River Island and team them with a fitted black and white top or a sparkly top it and it looks very elegant.

Please don't worry too much just have a good time :classic_wink:

8 hours ago, Vampiress88 said:

Stop stressing, it's your holiday.

Plenty of people cruise with P&O without attending the formal nights, or indeed avoid going to the mdr at all,  there are other options.

Michelle had all these worries on our first cruise about feeling out of place and being judged, she is now addicted and does her own thing dress wise.

Formal for the ladies is just looking smart like you would on a night out, it's us men that have to do penguin impersonations, but at least one outfit covers all.

We manage to dress up and feel good fairly cheaply, my suit is from Matalan, even Primani does party frocks, but if the thought of it worries you, simply abstain.

Our main reason for choosing P&O is there is something for everyone.

Relax and have a fantastic time.

Andy

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Vampiress88 said:

I am early 60s but I wouldn t wear the clothes in the photo! (Look at the Cunard photos- they are even worse!!) If it is a short cruise e.g 7 days one pair of black trousers and your dress should be fine though I agree with others that if fairly smart, your leggings should be fine with a sparkly top and heels!

5 hours ago, darknightsdespiser said:

I disagree about the need or desire to discontinue formal nights.  Some of the younger cruisers take part very enthusiastically and personally noticing now that jeans are acceptable at home even in nice restaurants I enjoy the "dressing up".  I think first timers do overthink it -I have worn Christmas party frocks and dresses bought for weddings - surely everyone has these??  This year I am chuffed at finding (Kim &Co on QVC) a perfect black and white sparkly top to go with my black palazzo trousers for that particular night.

At the end of the day, the brochure and website are clear enough - if dressing smartly is a hardship maybe just stick to Marella!

I agree, long may the formal nights continue!

I'm a yougner cruiser (just) and I enjoy it - in fact I've ended up getting quite a collection of different bow ties of different shades to add a little colour to the none-B&W nights.

I've even found myself looking at other dinner jackets - Next do a quite colourful range (even floral patterned ones) that a far from traditional, but are still suitable for formal nights.

Edited by Monorail Orange
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Monorail Orange said:

I agree, long may the formal nights continue!

I'm a yougner cruiser (just) and I enjoy it - in fact I've ended up getting quite a collection of different bow ties of different shades to add a little colour to the none-B&W nights.

I've even found myself looking at other dinner jackets - Next do a quite colourful range that a far from traditional, but are still suitable for formal nights.

I have not had my moneys-worth out of my current DJ yet, so don't anyone go giving P&O ideas about dropping them just yet.:classic_rolleyes: 

• Haha 1

We enjoy the Formal nights but on my longest cruise (12 nights) I was a bit fed up of dressing up by the third one!

I wouldn't want them to stop though - it's lovely seeing the ship all dressed up 🙂

Edited by P&O SUE

We have cruised with NCL and they have 'Dress up or Not Nights' - its left up to you and the compromise doesn't seem to bother anyone.  I have seen male passengers on other cruise lines remove their jacket once at the dining table -bow tie seems to go quickly as well !

The issue I have with the 'formal nights' is when flying to the departure port and the luggage restrictions!