Dinner recommendations in Miami

Tracey.kinney425

4 minutes ago, elcuchio24 said:

Not sure where you are staying. We always stay at the Intercontinental, which is an easy walk to Bayside, which has a ton of options. 

https://www.baysidemarketplace.com/

If this is the place right down town by the Hard Rock and the Heat Arena, I totally agree. Nice place to walk around, do some shopping, with a plethora of dining choices. 

• Like 1

Its a chain but there's a Gyu Kaku in Brickell that's really good if its Japanese you're looking for. 

Otherwise not sure of the vibe/price that you're looking for. I'd recommend The Butcher Shop and Kush in Wynwood. If you're looking for more upscale I'd hit one of the fancy steakhouses in South Beach. American Social in Brickell is also good.

Edited by hotsauce126

Gyu Kaku in Brickell is lots of fun!  

I've actually gone to the one in Honolulu, chicago, NY and quite often here in Brickell and always enjoy them.

Edited by Host CJSKIDS

6 hours ago, Tracey.kinney425 said:

Looking for places to eat in Miami the night before our cruise, maybe a tappenyaki place.

Hi Tracey, I live in Miami and I’m happy to give you some more ideas that are more where the locals go out for dinner. I think you mentioned you’re staying near the airport in which case Coral Gables would be an easy uber ride for you if you have a long travel day and don’t want to go far (my favorite restaurants in that area are Ortanique, Zucca, and Christy’s for something a little fancy and Talavera which is a more fun casual Mexican place.) There’s also a Benihana there if you wanted teppanyaki. That area is very safe to walk around and if you need to do any last minute shopping there’s a very nice mall in Coral Gables called Merrick Park that has a few nice restaurants and nice stores. If you want to head downtown, my favorite downtown restaurant is Quinto La Huella. Or if you’re feeling more energetic, you can head to the design district which is very hip and eat at Michael’s Genuine Food and Drink.  

Also in Coral Gables is our favorite....Flemings!   We miss it dearly since moving away from Miami.  It was our go-to restaurant for Sunday dinner or for any special occasion.  It's on the corner of Ponce and Andalusia.  Huge wine list as well.

16 hours ago, mjrcruiser said:

I couldn't agree more!!!  🙂  We are going there in May...cannot pass up some stone crab!!!!!

Just to confirm you know the season ends May 15th, so make sure you go before your cruise!  You are just in time.

1 hour ago, BNBR said:

Just to confirm you know the season ends May 15th, so make sure you go before your cruise!  You are just in time.

Hate that season is almost over but Joe's will have crabs past that date.  They do flash freeze them but know how to defrost them so they are not fishy at all.

We ate there last summer right before the closed and the stone crabs were still fantastic!!  Last year it was the end of July when they closed. 

28 minutes ago, Host CJSKIDS said:

Hate that season is almost over but Joe's will have crabs past that date.  They do flash freeze them but know how to defrost them so they are not fishy at all.

We ate there last summer right before the closed and the stone crabs were still fantastic!!  Last year it was the end of July when they closed. 

That's right. Frozen crabs are still good. I do prefer fresh in season though. Especially for the prices. 

4 hours ago, BNBR said:

2 hours ago, Host CJSKIDS said:

Yes, we'll be there before the 15th...and good to know that they do "flash freeze".  Glad we'll be there before the season is over!!  🙂 

On 4/17/2019 at 3:33 PM, Tracey.kinney425 said:

Looking for places to eat in Miami the night before our cruise, maybe a tappenyaki place.

Are you specifically looking for teppanyaki? Otherwise would need a lot more info. Miami has thousands of great restaurants including some of the best in the world. It varies drastically. 

For a teppan meal, just find the closest bennihana basically. Otherwise an idea of what else you might be looking for, budget, etc. 

Maybe you have a strong stomach and big budget and want one of the best omakase meals in the world... Or stone crabs... Or a local seafood spot or casual or.... Or... Or..  Lots of stuff. 

Miami is big. So just asking for dinner suggestions leaves a near impossible task to point you in the right direction. Unless you are just looking for a benihana. In which case Google maps for the closest one to your hotel. 

The last type of food Miami is known for is Asian. So asking for a tappenyaki type place is odd honestly. We have some decent Asian places but not compared to say LA New York or San Fran. We just don't have a huge Asian population here. 

If you want tappenyaki type I would suggest reserving a BBQ table at Drunkin Dragon that is one of the best Asian places in Miami. 

But as others have send the options are endless, and of course Miami is best known for its Latin America/Caribbean choices and Seafood. But there is something for anyone on any budget. One place is like to recommend is YardBird given its location close to Lincoln Road and really great modern southern food. 

16 minutes ago, Flymia said:

The last type of food Miami is known for is Asian. So asking for a tappenyaki type place is odd honestly. We have some decent Asian places but not compared to say LA New York or San Fran. We just don't have a huge Asian population here. 

If you want tappenyaki type I would suggest reserving a BBQ table at Drunkin Dragon that is one of the best Asian places in Miami. 

But as others have send the options are endless, and of course Miami is best known for its Latin America/Caribbean choices and Seafood. But there is something for anyone on any budget. One place is like to recommend is YardBird given its location close to Lincoln Road and really great modern southern food. 

Oddly enough, Miami also has probably the best Asian restaurant in America. NAOE.  

1 hour ago, BNBR said:

Oddly enough, Miami also has probably the best Asian restaurant in America. NAOE.  

Naoe and Chef Corey are fantastic, however it's mainly sushi and the menu is chef's choice so it's very limited.  Definitely not Teppan style.

Gyu Kaku is a great yakiniku (grilled barbecue) where you grill your own meats. There are hundreds of them in Japan and quite a few outposts here in the US.  

The one here in Brickell is very busy and actually gets a ton of Asians coming into the area to eat.  

https://www.gyu-kaku.com/locations-menus/

As someone else said, there is a Benihana close to you on Miracle Mile in Coral Gables if you want the traditional Teppan Style.

You are also close to Little Havana (short uber ride away) and there are lots of new amazing restaurants right in that area. From traditional Cuban to one of the best Thai restaurants (Lung Yai Thai Tapas).  

Michele Bernstein has a great new place there called Cafe La Trova as an example. 

2 minutes ago, Tracey.kinney425 said:

We're not sure what we're looking for other than non chain places unless its some local only to the area chain and less than $100 per person, other than that we are open to any great suggestions anyone has.

You aren't going to find a non chain Teppan style place that is close.  

It would be helpful to know what other kinds of food you are looking for!

Lots of locally owned restaurants here in Miami with great food. 

From places on Miracle Mile in Coral Gables, to Brickell/Downtown to South Beach, there will be plenty for you to chose from.

Depending on when you are visiting, Joe's Stone Crab would be my suggestion.  I would also second the suggestion for Drunken Dragon if you prefer Asian food.  Alter in Wynwood would be a budget buster but not outrageous, either.  Might be worth looking at.  Or really any of the restaurants in Wynwood and you can check out the area and wander around as well.

Or as Carolyn suggested on another thread, lots of great spots in Little Havana.

Edited by BNBR