Cuba Question re Future Cruises on Carnival

2xsin12mths

So, I'm kinda freaking out.....I was really looking forward to my Cuba cruise next week but my TA just called and totally confused me. First EVERYTHING you purchase in Cuba she said you need a receipt. I asked her about the street vendors and she was very vague about that???  Second, and most annoying, she said we can not exchange US money, period. I need to get Euro's or Canadian money before we go and then can exchange that. She said Cuba will definately not accept US money on the street, that it's illegal. And when you go to exhange your money at the CADECA office they will not exchange US money.

Anyone recently in Cuba that can verify this?

Edited by Host Carolyn
Clarify topic

Your TA is wrong, AFAIK, on the exchange of US currency topic.

Cuba lets you do an exchange to CUCs (local tourist equivalent of Cuban currency), but at a penalty compared to the official exchange rate (to punish those nasty embargoing Americanos!).

Yes, you need to do the exchange before you leave the customs/immigration area.  I don't think any foreign currency is officially recognized "on the street".  You must pay in CUCs.

EDIT:  You can also do the exchange at hotels and other officially sanctions places.  From the Carnival website:

"Guests can exchange money to convertible pesos (CUCs) at the terminal in Havana, as well as in hotels, banks and exchange offices for a fee."

Carnival's website should have info on the topic.  Don't go by what your TA said - it sounds mis-informed.

(All this is AFAIK, because I was going to go on a cruise to Cuba at one point, so I looked it up.)

Edited by ProgRockCruiser

There is A LOT of uncertainty after today's announcements. Your best bet at this point may be to visit the State Department Website or via the US Embassy in Cuba. I just visited the Cuba page on the State Department website and it hasn't been updated since February.

United States Embassy

Telephone
+(53) (7) 839-4100
 Email
Edited by JennyB1977
  • Like 2

Before today's announcement:

They will change US dollars to CUC, but they charge a 3% exchange fee and a 10% "tax."  Since the CUC is pegged to the dollar at 1:1, with the fees, you will get 0.87 CUC for 1 dollar.  If you get Euros or British pounds or Japanese yen or whatever, you will only be charged the 3% exchange fee.  When you leave, you have to change your CUCs back, and they don't even ask -- you get dollars.  There is a money exchange (cadeca) in the cruise terminal.  That's the only one we dealt with.

Dollars are not to be accepted by vendors or stores.  A very few might take them, but they risk running afoul of Cuban law, and you definitely don't want to run afoul of Cuban law!  Stick with CUCs.  American credit/debit cards will not work in Cuba.  Consider it a cash-only society.

We didn't have receipts for anything we bought in Cuba, and nobody asked or cared about it.

• Thanks 1

All BS. None of that is true. Ok technically maybe it is but in reality it is not. As of before today's announcements.

Trump did just add some restrictions for family sending money to Cuba. And seems to be some vague unspecified travel restrictions.

Hopefully this does not affect the cruises!

Wow glad we just got back from there.

Watching the news on this intently. Our next cruise is scheduled for Cuba. I was afraid something like this might happen. 

From John Heald: 

Lots and lots of you are asking about Cuba cruises following a new statement from the US Government 
We are still evaluating this announcement, but have not made any changes to our itineraries. Booked guests will receive a communication if their itinerary is impacted

I will share any news as soon as there is any

Cheers

• Like 1

John Bolton said:

"The Department of the Treasury will implement further regulatory changes to restrict non-family travel to Cuba. These new measures will help steer American dollars away from the Cuban regime or its military and security services who control the tourism industry in Cuba," Bolton added.

I have a Cuba Cruise schedule for June.  I have been worried that the US would stop travel to Cuba due to them helping Venezuela.  Looks like it's going to happen...

Edited by CCLcruiser91

Similar lto the sanctions thread re the pollution issue, and because this affects many who have planned cruises to Cuba on Carnival I am going to keep this thread open on this Board as long as it remains NON- political and remains within CC guidelines. Any new threads will either be locked or moved to Cuba board.. If this gets really out of hand, it will be moved in with the masses to the Cuba board or possibly even disappear much like it appears the cruises to Cuba may😕😕,

And I am editing title slightly for clarification. Thanks in advance for playing nice.

Host Carolyn

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CCLcruiser91 said:

John Bolton said:

"The Department of the Treasury will implement further regulatory changes to restrict non-family travel to Cuba. These new measures will help steer American dollars away from the Cuban regime or its military and security services who control the tourism industry in Cuba," Bolton added.

I have a Cuba Cruise schedule for June.  I have been worried that the US would stop travel to Cuba due to them helping Venezuela.  Looks like it's going to happen...

This has been happening for years. We lived in Venezuela for many years during the regime of Hugo Chavez. Chavez’s body guards and doctors were all Cuban. Right now there are Cuban mercenaries operating in Venezuela. The common people in Cuba and Venezuela are really hurting due to the dictators in Caracas and Havana.

• Like 1

Cuba was on my short list but I recently thought about what it would be like if that port got canceled...even for weather...it would be a total ruined cruise.  I’d be flying in to go on a ship I don’t really want to go on to ports I don’t have to buy a plane ticket to cruise to. I decided too much is riding on that one port so I bumped it way down my list.

I haave not gone to Cuba in over a year. When in Cuba last the street vendors did take American dollars. You werer not going to get a very good exchange rate you had to depend on the vendor. For anyone coming in the last few months i did say it has been over a year

7 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

Cuba was on my short list but I recently thought about what it would be like if that port got canceled...even for weather...it would be a total ruined cruise.  I’d be flying in to go on a ship I don’t really want to go on to ports I don’t have to buy a plane ticket to cruise to. I decided too much is riding on that one port so I bumped it way down my list.

Have to agree with you.  Just recently considered one of the 5-day out of Charleston for next summer.  Put it on the back burner just for this same reason.  So glad I did.

• Like 1

We are on the Paradise in July.  If Havana gets knocked off, I don't see driving 10 hours to Tampa and spending money to go to Key West, Cozumel, and .... where?  Nassau?  Ocho Rios?  Been there, done that.

15 minutes ago, mdsgu said:

We are on the Paradise in July.  If Havana gets knocked off, I don't see driving 10 hours to Tampa and spending money to go to Key West, Cozumel, and .... where?  Nassau?  Ocho Rios?  Been there, done that.

15 minutes ago, mdsgu said:

Paradise also stops at Grand Cayman on certain cruises!

We are going to Cuba in November. We have booked and paid for the cruise. I was about to buy my airline tickets. 

I had this article sent to me today that made me feel better - it's basically saying the trips that are already booked are ok. I know everything can change but I hope they are right!

https://www.travelweekly.com/Travel-News/Government/White-House-latest-Cuba-crackdown-is-baffling?oly_enc_id=3792C1386167E5X

6 hours ago, mdsgu said:

I'm figuring it will be grand Cayman instead of havana.ill just cancel.i won't pay another penny until I know for sure.im doing western Caribbean on msc next summer.ill wait until then.ill put that 2100 toward it.