Where to go snorkeling?

I'd do the tabayana beach break excursion and snorkel from the shore in Roatan as my first choice.  Roatan was my favorite place to snorkel, until I went to Bonaire.  It is now #2.   You could also take a cab to The Money Bar in Cozumel cab runs around 12.00 (plus tip) each way for up to 4 people. You could snorkel from shore in Grand Cayman at Eden Rock. It is a 5 to 10 minute walk from where the tender docks.  Why limit yourself to one port.  Can you tell I like to snorkel😉

Of those three, (tossing out Cozumel), Roatan at West Beach is the best. However, Grand Cayman deserves some consideration due to its ease (and lack of other exciting options at the port). At GC, you walk off the tender, walk to the right to Eden Rock Dive shop where you can rent a locker, and head down the step ladder into the water. No taxi. No tour. No cost (if you have your own gear). If you are only going to snorkel one day, by doing this you free up your day at Roatan to do other things like zip line. 

All that said, if you enjoy snorkeling as we do, I would go to Eden Rock at GC and then at Roatan I would do a “Zip Line and Beach Day” (either private or through Princess) and plan to snorkel again during the beach portion of the excursion. Look for an excursion that uses “South Shore” zip lining. They are great (and safe). 

Belize is great for diving but not so much for snorkeling. While there, definitely do an excursion to either Lamanai or Altan Ha. Once in a lifetime experience. 

Edited by JimmyVWine

A lot of folks seem to enjoy "swimming" with the sting rays while in Grand Cayman (north side), but that never appealed to me.  I have snorkeled there (south side), but it's been awhile.  My favorite place is Aruba, but you're not going there.  There are sunken German ships there that attract fish.   Maybe on your next cruise . . .

I have snorkeled at Roatan's West Beach, but it was many years ago.  These days I think there's some concern because the island is part of Honduras and folks worry about security.  The Princess facility at Roatan has tight security.  

15 minutes ago, BarbinMich said:

These days I think there's some concern because the island is part of Honduras and folks worry about security

While precautions should be taken on any island, the issues with Honduras in general are not what one finds on Roatan. There is safety in numbers and West End Beach will have numbers and numbers and numbers. I’ve been numerous times and never felt unsafe. One of my best friend’s son now lives on the island and is a dive instructor. He feels quite safe, but suffers from boredom. Great place to visit but wouldn’t want to live there, as is often said. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Silverspringcruiser said:

Going to be on the Caribbean Princess in July. Ports are Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Roatan, and Belize. If you could do one snorkeling excursion where would it be?

Belize for sure!  

Taking an excursion by boat to their Barrier Reef (2nd largest in the world) is amazing and not to be missed!  

What is great about West Bay, Honduras is that prime structure lies 50 yards from shore.  I've not found better on a Western Caribbean itinerary and it rivals Bonaire and Curacao.   Here is a video I shot a couple years ago:

Edited by fishin' musician

18 hours ago, topspot said:

I'd do the tabayana beach break excursion and snorkel from the shore in Roatan as my first choice.  

compare the cost of the ship excursion (usually $60+ pp) and going to the Infinity beach yourself. Infinity beach is adjacent to the Tabyana beach. Roundtrip transportation from Coxen Hole (kiosk #7) is $15 pp, and $20 to get a chaise at the Infinity beach. If you don't need a chaise/beach access, it's free to just put your towel down on the beach because the beach itself is free. Plus, you can come and go as you please, as opposed to a ship excursion which has a set arrival and departure time, which most of the time isn't all that great. 

See my pics below of the proximity of the Tabyana beach to Infinity beach.

There are always people present with canoes who will tow you to the reef for like $20.

People were even putting on scuba things and getting into the water/on the boat.

Now, if it's not a ship excursion, but a 3rd party excursion, it's a bit different. :)

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy

13 hours ago, BarbinMich said:

I have snorkeled at Roatan's West Beach, but it was many years ago.  These days I think there's some concern because the island is part of Honduras and folks worry about security. 

we've been there twice since December, and it was nice and safe. We went to the Infinity beach with our kid.

The water is shallow for about 20-25 yards and then it's 6' and more.

20190404_110927.jpg

20190404_110940.jpg

I am taking a photo standing on the Infinity beach, but right at where that couple is walking (1 red shirt/1 no shirt) that's where the Tabyana beach starts.

20190404_110944.jpg

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy

4 hours ago, fishin' musician said:

What is great about West Bay, Honduras is that prime structure lies 50 yards from shore.  I've not found better on a Western Caribbean itinerary and it rivals Bonaire and Curacao.   Here is a video I shot a couple years ago:

Wonderful video--thanks for posting!  In all my snorkel adventures in the Caribbean and Hawaii, I've only encountered such a huge number of fish once:  straight south out of the harbor at St. Thomas:  huge school of fish (I forget what kind), almost a little scary to swim into that <g>. 

13 minutes ago, BarbinMich said:

Wonderful video--thanks for posting!  In all my snorkel adventures in the Caribbean and Hawaii, I've only encountered such a huge number of fish once:  straight south out of the harbor at St. Thomas:  huge school of fish (I forget what kind), almost a little scary to swim into that <g>. 

I've had similar encounters at Kline Island (more variety), Bonaire and Blue Bay in Curacao.  There is a video on the same YouTube channel of a Curacao encounter that in addition to massive fish numbers also features an eel and a sea turtle.

For the itinerary quoted, I'd recommend the St. Thomas Stingray and reef snorkel excursion.  While Stingray city may not be your thing, we were pleasantly surprised by the reef at the entrance to that same bay which was part of that particular excursion.

As others have said, the best snorkeling in the Caribbean is in Bonaire, using Woodwind Snorkel, a private tour that includes more in water time than any ship's excursion.

I haven't experienced Belize, but I have done the others, so I'd vote Roatan.  The water is AMAZINGLY clear. (It's the same reef as in Belize, in case anyone didn't know.)

If I were on that itinerary, I'd probably snorkel at all the ports, to be honest.  But if I could only pick one, it would be Roatan or Belize.  

14 hours ago, brillohead said:

I haven't experienced Belize, but I have done the others, so I'd vote Roatan.  The water is AMAZINGLY clear. (It's the same reef as in Belize, in case anyone didn't know.)
. . .

I don't see how it could be the same reef:  Belize is on the east coast of the Yucatan Peninsula, MX while Roatan is an island about 30 miles north of Honduras, which lies at right angles to the Yucatan Peninsula.  Roatan is about 100 mi SE of Belize.

2 minutes ago, BarbinMich said:

I don't see how it could be the same reef:  Belize is on the east coast of the Yucatan Peninsula, MX while Roatan is an island about 30 miles north of Honduras, which lies at right angles to the Yucatan Peninsula.  Roatan is about 100 mi SE of Belize.

Nevertheless, it is.  Second only to the Great Barrier Reef in Australia.

• Like 1

I stand corrected.  The whole reef system is know as the Mesoamerican Reef System and, unfortunately, it is considered "critically endangered" per the ICUN Red List of Ecosystems (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IUCN_Red_List_of_Ecosystems).

I haven't snorkeled off Belize but have off Roatan (many years ago).  We've been to Belize twice and first time I went on a birding excursion and the second time to Altun Ha, a well-preserved Mayan ruin.  Belize is well known for both birding and its ruins, as well as its reef.  So much to do, so little time . . . 

FWIW, we first visited both Belize and Roatan on a HAL ship in 2011.

Edited by BarbinMich