Pre-cruise extension to New York City

Squawkman

New York is such an accessible city from both a transport from the airport to the city and hotel to the pier, that I would never consider paying the inflated costs of an extension.  Hotel deals are easy to find and sight seeing is easy on your own.  Even if it involves a "diversion" fee from Viking Air it is probably still in your best interest to do things on your own. 

Ropomo - thanks for your response. I should have been more clear. My friend’s interest is in staying in a “first class hotel” as Viking describes. Most first class hotels in NYC are about $900 and up a night, and it is possible this could be a decent deal if that’s the kind of hotel you want to experience. I do the math on Viking extensions I might be interested in for some cruises, and I find the value can vary. If I’m going to a US city, I’m with you and would book a hotel on my own.

We did the pre-cruise extension last October in NYC. We stayed at the Westin Times Square. I seriously doubt it’s a $900 a night hotel. It was nice but not that nice. It was probably your average Westin.  I compared prices for doing it on our own before we booked. At the time the cost was pretty close between booking through Viking or doing our own thing. We opted for the convenience. DH wanted to stay in the Times Square area anyway.  We didn’t have a great view but we did have a great time!  I’m sure your friends will too 😊

Edited by sparkles

18 hours ago, sparkles said:

We did the pre-cruise extension last October in NYC. We stayed at the Westin Times Square. I seriously doubt it’s a $900 a night hotel. It was nice but not that nice. It was probably your average Westin.  I compared prices for doing it on our own before we booked. At the time the cost was pretty close between booking through Viking or doing our own thing. We opted for the convenience. DH wanted to stay in the Times Square area anyway.  We didn’t have a great view but we did have a great time!  I’m sure your friends will too 😊

Thanks for the response. This is helpful.

18 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

Why not call Viking and ask them which hotels they use?

Thanks. I'll probably do that next time I talk to my Viking agent. I was interested to see experiences folks here might have had.

We are sailing out of NYC this October. We booked independently at The Michaelangelo. (I asked on CC ports of call for hotel recommendations as there are just so many, and this one was mentioned several times).  We did not want to stay directly in Times Square, but within walking distance. It is rated 5*, and in March they had a good promotion, so we booked it for two nights. We did find that hotel prices in October were pretty high, but we aren’t paying close to $900/night. 

1 hour ago, Vineyard View said:

We are sailing out of NYC this October. We booked independently at The Michaelangelo. (I asked on CC ports of call for hotel recommendations as there are just so many, and this one was mentioned several times).  We did not want to stay directly in Times Square, but within walking distance. It is rated 5*, and in March they had a good promotion, so we booked it for two nights. We did find that hotel prices in October were pretty high, but we aren’t paying close to $900/night. 

Thanks for writing - this is helpful.

13 hours ago, Squawkman said:

Thanks for writing - this is helpful.

You are welcome. This may not be the style of hotel you are looking for - more old world than modern for sure - but it at least gives you an idea. 

You might want to jump over to the ports section on CC and ask specific questions on the East Cpast departures board - there were really helpful people  to me during my search. 

15 hours ago, Vineyard View said:

Michaelangelo is one of my favorite hotels in NYC and very convenient for whatever you want to do