Penthouse Veranda midship?

zitsky

I know they are not really in the middle.  But which PV1, 2, 3 are closest to middle?  I look at the deck plan but I can't tell which color is which.

I'm very interested in PV3 the cheapest of course.

Edited by zitsky

33 minutes ago, zitsky said:

I know they are not really in the middle.  But which PV1, 2, 3 are closest to middle?  I look at the deck plan but I can't tell which color is which.

I think virtually all of the PV cabins are either forward of the forward elevators or behind the aft elevators.  The PV3’s are definitely forward of the forward elevators on deck 4.  There are a few PV2’s on deck five behind the forward elevators,  but those are probably the closest you get to “the middle” for the PV cabins.  I agree the colors can be a little challenging, but under each of the deck plans they list the cabin types on each floor, which helps.  I will note, for what it’s worth, that we’ve done 4 cruises in PV1 cabins forward of the elevators on deck 6 and we were very happy with the location. 

Edited by cocopico
  • Like 1

I am color blind (red/green) and have trouble with the colors as well.  I did find a trick that helps me visualize.  If you pull up the deck plans and hover over the cabin category in the legend below the deck image, the cabins of that category "magically" change colors allowing you to see specifically which cabins are in that category.

15 minutes ago, cocopico said:

I think virtually all of the PV cabins are either forward of the forward elevators or behind the aft elevators.  The PV3’s are definitely forward of the forward elevators on deck 4.  There are a few PV2’s on deck five behind the forward elevators,  but those are probably the closest you get to “the middle” for the PV cabins.  I agree the colors can be a little challenging, but under each of the deck plans they list the cabin types on each floor, which helps.  I will note, for what it’s worth, that we’ve done 4 cruises in PV1 cabins forward of the elevators on deck 6 and we were very happy with the location. 

So no problems with motion, sea sickness then?  I take meclizine. 

12 minutes ago, ropomo said:

I am color blind (red/green) and have trouble with the colors as well.  I did find a trick that helps me visualize.  If you pull up the deck plans and hover over the cabin category in the legend below the deck image, the cabins of that category "magically" change colors allowing you to see specifically which cabins are in that category.

Thanks for the tip!

14 minutes ago, zitsky said:

So no problems with motion, sea sickness then?  I take meclizine. 

We’ve never experienced any sea sickness, but then neither of us are particularly prone to that.  We’ve also been pretty lucky with weather on our cruises. The most we’ve ever felt was a  very slight bumping or vibration, but never any significant rolling.  I will say, though, that our concern has always been noise, and the forward cabins tend to get less foot traffic and are quiet, particularly on deck 6. 

We are currently on Viking Sea in 4016, PV3. Quiet, convenient to elevators, not any rocking and rolling except during rough seas a few nights ago. We’ve always had PV3 and no trouble.

If it is important to you, check to see which have sliding doors and which have hinged doors- for example:

Viking PV3 Cabins Deck 4

Sliding glass doors:  4010, 11, 16,1 7, 18, 19, 24, 25

Window & hinged door:  4012, 13, 14, 15, 20, 21, 22, 23

• Like 1

On 4/18/2019 at 5:26 AM, cruzzzinma said:

If it is important to you, check to see which have sliding doors and which have hinged doors- for example:

Viking PV3 Cabins Deck 4

Sliding glass doors:  4010, 11, 16,1 7, 18, 19, 24, 25

Window & hinged door:  4012, 13, 14, 15, 20, 21, 22, 23

Thanks for this helpful post.  We had one of the PV's with a hinged door and window on our first VO cruise, and in retrospect would have preferred a sliding door.   The divider between the door and window was distracting and limited the view in our opinion.  Just a personal preference.  

On 4/17/2019 at 6:43 PM, zitsky said:

We stayed in PV1 deck six 6011 - forward, PV2 deck five 5097, and PV3 deck four 4017.  Motion wise PV3 cabins are the best - you don’t feel anything. Their location is very convenient-3 floors down to restaurants and 3 floors up to buffet and explore lounge. The 4deck is also very quiet.

Guess where we will stay on our next trip? 😉

56 minutes ago, vnb2003 said:

We stayed in PV1 deck six 6011 - forward, PV2 deck five 5097, and PV3 deck four 4017.  Motion wise PV3 cabins are the best - you don’t feel anything. Their location is very convenient-3 floors down to restaurants and 3 floors up to buffet and explore lounge. The 4deck is also very quiet.

Guess where we will stay on our next trip? 😉

I also agree!  We had a PV3 cabin - 4011 on our last Viking cruise - and it was wonderful!  Didn't feel anything as far as motion was concerned.  I really liked the convenience and the quiet "dead end" like hallway - and as you said, it was either 3 up or 3 down (or a quick 2 to the Theatre).    I would actually choose the PV3 over the PV1 or PV2.

• Like 1

There is very little difference in price between the three categories - Viking reduced the differential two years ago significantly. For us in the U.K. the difference is £50 a category. We have been in all three and have been happy in all three! We like to be close to the front or the back as they are the quietest. We are not affected by the motion at all. On this cruise we are the back of deck 5 and have booked it again. We have the opening instead of sliding door. We are very happy here and have a great view of the sea from the bed on a sea day!!!