What happens to the Cuba cruises?

florisdekort

I heard from Blexie today and he is still doing business as usual. I guess he just won't be hosting many cruise passengers from ships sailing from the USA.

Norris

6 hours ago, Redtravel said:

Sadly May 2nd is the end of Americans cruising to Cuba. Wonder where the people booked on a Cuba cruise will go.  Unfortunately,  when you take a cruise, you are not guaranteed a stop at a listed port.   I have missed many ports.  When you cruise, the cruise ship is your major destination. While where it goes is important, the ports are secondary.  If the destination is primary, don't cruise.  Fly in and stay.

Disagree 100% and Azamara is a boutique line specializing in immersion.  If that's their attitude, they will be out of business in no time.  Also, I believe there will be some give on the dates.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Redtravel said:

Sadly May 2nd is the end of Americans cruising to Cuba. 

2nd May actually refers to the administration no longer waiving a 23-year old provision which gives U.S. citizens the right to sue over property they owned there that was confiscated by the Cuban government without reimbursement by the Cuban government.

12 hours ago, Redtravel said:

Sadly May 2nd is the end of Americans cruising to Cuba. Wonder where the people booked on a Cuba cruise will go.  Unfortunately,  when you take a cruise, you are not guaranteed a stop at a listed port.   I have missed many ports.  When you cruise, the cruise ship is your major destination. While where it goes is important, the ports are secondary.  If the destination is primary, don't cruise.  Fly in and stay.

True in theory.

But when Azamara's Marketese specifically hypes "destination immersion", they've raised the bar on themselves when they sell "Country X Intensive" itineraries.

Everyone who booked a Cuba cruise is likely wondering what will happen. Just because a cruiseline sells an immersion cruise, it may not be in their control. I feel badly for those people who really were booked on any Cuba trip.  If a port is closed for whatever reason (weather, damage, unrest, war, timing, etc.), it will disappoint guests.  I have been on several cruises that missed ports for many reasons. It is nice if you are informed before the cruise and are allowed without penalty to change your plans. However, there are also cruises that miss ports that are not planned while you are on the cruise. Last year, when hurricanes destroyed several Caribbean ports, many cruises changed ports. I had been booked on a cruise that was scheduled to stop in San Juan, St. Martin, and Dominica. Fortunately, I hadn’t paid my final payment. I cancelled that cruise. I know people who were past final payment and took a cruise to a cruise to different islands than those originally listed.  The worst change was in 2015 when a cruise to Israel and Turkey was changed due unrest. The guests were told that the crew refused to sail to an unsafe port.  All of the ports were switched to other places in the Med.  guests were not told until after embarkation.  Ultimately, if the USA declares that there are no more stops in Cuba, there will be many unhappy people. The cruise line has an enormous responsibility to crew and guests.  It is a wait and see time.

10 hours ago, Redtravel said:

Everyone who booked a Cuba cruise is likely wondering what will happen. Just because a cruiseline sells an immersion cruise, it may not be in their control. I feel badly for those people who really were booked on any Cuba trip.  If a port is closed for whatever reason (weather, damage, unrest, war, timing, etc.), it will disappoint guests.  I have been on several cruises that missed ports for many reasons. It is nice if you are informed before the cruise and are allowed without penalty to change your plans. However, there are also cruises that miss ports that are not planned while you are on the cruise. Last year, when hurricanes destroyed several Caribbean ports, many cruises changed ports. I had been booked on a cruise that was scheduled to stop in San Juan, St. Martin, and Dominica. Fortunately, I hadn’t paid my final payment. I cancelled that cruise. I know people who were past final payment and took a cruise to a cruise to different islands than those originally listed.  The worst change was in 2015 when a cruise to Israel and Turkey was changed due unrest. The guests were told that the crew refused to sail to an unsafe port.  All of the ports were switched to other places in the Med.  guests were not told until after embarkation.  Ultimately, if the USA declares that there are no more stops in Cuba, there will be many unhappy people. The cruise line has an enormous responsibility to crew and guests.  It is a wait and see time.

It doesn't mean they have a legal obligation to do anything.  However, if they think they can run Cuba cruises without Cuba and not give out 40 to 50% credit, they will feel the wrath of their customer base.

National Security Adviser John Bolton has clearly said that those people not going to Cuba to visit family will need a licence from the US government.

That said, here's a confusing quote picked up by WaPo/Bloomberg that there'll be a carve-out for travel companies.

E.G.:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/trump-administration-announces-new-measures-against-cuba/2019/04/17/cfc2bc96-6132-11e9-9ff2-abc984dc9eec_story.html?utm_term=.e19b517572e5

Pedro Freyre, chairman of international practice at Akerman LLP, a major Miami law firm, said that “out of a fairly substantial universe” of possible claims, the number of actual lawsuits “could be fairly narrow.”

But the “return to the Cold War” will “definitely have a chilling effect on [future] investment” in Cuba by both U.S. and third country companies, he said.

Although the State Department said there would be “no exemptions” for Cuba investments, Freyre said the law contains a cutout for technology and travel-related business that would appear to exempt U.S. airlines and cruise ships traveling to Cuba.

No idea what it all means, just posting what I find.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Shawnino said:

National Security Adviser John Bolton has clearly said that those people not going to Cuba to visit family will need a licence from the US government.

That said, here's a confusing quote picked up by WaPo/Bloomberg that there'll be a carve-out for travel companies.

E.G.:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/trump-administration-announces-new-measures-against-cuba/2019/04/17/cfc2bc96-6132-11e9-9ff2-abc984dc9eec_story.html?utm_term=.e19b517572e5

Pedro Freyre, chairman of international practice at Akerman LLP, a major Miami law firm, said that “out of a fairly substantial universe” of possible claims, the number of actual lawsuits “could be fairly narrow.”

But the “return to the Cold War” will “definitely have a chilling effect on [future] investment” in Cuba by both U.S. and third country companies, he said.

Although the State Department said there would be “no exemptions” for Cuba investments, Freyre said the law contains a cutout for technology and travel-related business that would appear to exempt U.S. airlines and cruise ships traveling to Cuba.

No idea what it all means, just posting what I find.

Seems to me like that carve out would be to allow technology and travel related businesses to make investments in Cuba like building hotels and other travel related businesses.  Have no clue how that exemption would exempt cruise ships since the wording regarding visits by people quoted her from the above message "John Bolton has clearly said that those people not going to Cuba to visit family will need a licence from the US government"  clearly states that anybody not going to Cuba to visit family, and that is most if not all on cruise ships will need a license.  Can understand airlines still flying to Cuba although with far fewer people with people visiting their Cuban families but, doubt Cruise Lines will be carrying licensed people and people visiting their families.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings but, have no idea how Freyre could possibly come to his conclusion.  In any event until the new regulations are published, the end result is up in the air.  Perhaps the cruise lines and airlines are in Washington lobbying their cause right now but, it will be what it will be once the regulations are released.

On 4/18/2019 at 1:28 AM, BBMacLaird said:

We’re reviewing today’s statements to evaluate their impact on our guests and our company. For now, we are sailing our Cuba itineraries as scheduled and will keep our guests updated if anything changes.

Thanks for that. Here in the UK, we were on the verge of booking a fly cruise package (for 25th November sailing) until I read this thread. Can you comment please on the scenario where I book this, so the flights are immediately booked and a cruise deposit paid....total payment, at this stage, would be the equivalent of $750pp mainly because flights are paid for. We book purely because the Cuba intensive itinerary attracts us, as we have visited the rest of the Caribbean many times. Then, some way down the line Azamara advise guests that there are no Cuba stops on this Cuba intensive itinerary and other Caribbean islands will be the destination instead. What happens then, would we be entitled to a full refund for monies already paid?....Azamara T&C's suggest not, so I am afraid this cruise will be subject to many cancellations until clarity ensues.

Edited by hamrag

5 minutes ago, hamrag said:

Thanks for that. Here in the UK, we were on the verge of booking a fly cruise package (for 25th November sailing) until I read this thread. Can you comment please on the scenario where I book this, so the flights are immediately booked and a cruise deposit paid....total payment, at this stage, would be the equivalent of $750pp mainly because flights are paid for. We book purely because the Cuba intensive itinerary attracts us, as we have visited the rest of the Caribbean many times. Then, some way down the line Azamara advise guests that there are no Cuba stops on this Cuba intensive itinerary and other Caribbean islands will be the destination instead. What happens then, would we be entitled to a full refund for monies already paid?....Azamara T&C's suggest not, so I am afraid this cruise will be subject to many cancellations until clarity ensues.

Very astute comments hamrag.  sincerely doubt anybody can answer your questions.  These questions are on every board of cruise lines traveling to Cuba.   There are several interpretations of what the announcement from the US Government means and until the regulations are issued no telling what the outcome will be.  Neither Azamara nor any other cruise line has a crystal ball and all are continuing business as usual until the regulations are released; they can do nothing else at this time.

Have no doubt that if in the worst case for cruising, ships have to stop traveling to Cuba, all cruise lines including Azamara will scramble and revise the itineraries to ports other than Cuba.  Per the Terms and Conditions of all cruise lines ports can and sometimes do change itineraries and in  most cases without any compensation or refunds.  Should this change occur, there is always the possibility that full refunds will be given but, that can't be known until the rules are released and Azamara decides how to handle this issue.  

You are in a different situation than most with the air most likely not being refundable whereas in the US not many Fly/Cruise Packages.  Can only provide what I would do in your situation and that would be to hold off committing any money to any Cuba cruise until  the revised rules are released and if cruises have to be revised how Azamara handles the situation.

Being in the UK you might also consider looking for a cruise on a European Cruise Line that is not subject to these US restrictions and book on one of those otherwise you are risking money for a cruise you might not want to take and miss out on Cuba.  In any case good luck.

16 minutes ago, rallydave said:

Being in the UK you might also consider looking for a cruise on a European Cruise Line that is not subject to these US restrictions and book on one of those otherwise you are risking money for a cruise you might not want to take and miss out on Cuba.  In any case good luck.

If you do that it might be better to ensure the itinerary doesn’t include any US ports, though.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Host Grandma Cruising said:

If you do that it might be better to ensure the itinerary doesn’t include any US ports, though.

Absolutely HGC and would make a minor change to say it is more than might; hamrag.  Make sure any cruise to Cuba you book absolutely does not include any US Port as the current restrictions are based on ships departing a US port and arriving in Cuba no matter where the ship is home ported or where the cruise line is based, registered, incorporated, etc.  In other words the current restrictions are for all cruise ships in the entire world.

Thanks for the additional information.  Very well taken and sorry I missed that when suggesting a foreign to the US cruise line.

If you absolutely must visit Cuba, best to plan a flying vacation but not from the U.S.    We won’t know until later what further restriction will be placed by the U.S. Right now folks traveling to Cuba are mostly ignoring the current restrictions and do whatever they want in Cuba.   As for family members being allowed to visit Cuba, Cuba itself blocked a ship full of relatives wanting to visit their kin.

I still remember one Fall when several cruises with a Caribbean itinerary ended up visiting New England because of several hurricanes.   Those passenger were upset and didn’t have cooler weather apparel.   I don’t recall any lawsuits.

Re the idea of travelling to Cuba from another country - Canadians have been travelling to Cuba for years.  Recently there has been a lot of discussion amongst friends about reductions in quality of stay, food, accommodations, etc. (No ice one day, no bread another, etc)  There are multiple carriers that do flight and all inclusive and are quite inexpensive. A 5 star Cuban experience is typically considered similar to 3.5 somewhere else. So do your due diligence.  If you want to visit, see authentic Cuba and meet lovely people, that’s fine, but don’t go expecting standards similar to other Caribbean or Mexican hotels. 

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, I came here because I was thinking about the Cuba cruise in Dec!  I guess I better call A and see if it's still on or not, it sort of sounds like it's off from the comments here but A is still advertising it?

4 minutes ago, rmalbers said:

Wow, I came here because I was thinking about the Cuba cruise in Dec!  I guess I better call A and see if it's still on or not, it sort of sounds like it's off from the comments here but A is still advertising it?

Unless or until the US Government comes up with new rules regarding Cuba cruise schedules remain the same.  No telling how long until the issuance of new regulations or what they will say and require.

I just got back from Cuba April 29th sailing I used Blexie tours his

tour guide explained the government will no longer allow private tours in 

old havana.  So therefore, we could not do a walking tour of Old  havana

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, rallydave said:

Unless or until the US Government comes up with new rules regarding Cuba cruise schedules remain the same.  No telling how long until the issuance of new regulations or what they will say and require.

Exactly. Who knows when or what will happen.

For me, I'm booking a cruise to Cuba. I recognize the risk, but if I do not and it turns out I could have gone, I will be kicking myself. My husband and I really want to make this trip and we are not getting any younger. We may end up taking a cruise to other Caribbean ports - not what we want but I've had far worse things happen to me.  Life is full of risk. Take the ones that offer the most reward. And think positive thoughts.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, rallydave said:

2 hours ago, finny2 said:

Exactly. Who knows when or what will happen.

For me, I'm booking a cruise to Cuba. I recognize the risk, but if I do not and it turns out I could have gone, I will be kicking myself. My husband and I really want to make this trip and we are not getting any younger. We may end up taking a cruise to other Caribbean ports - not what we want but I've had far worse things happen to me.  Life is full of risk. Take the ones that offer the most reward. And think positive thoughts.

Please go to the Cuba section to read about the Carnival-Cuba lawsuit filed on May 2, 2019. This creates a whole new can of worms for cruises to Cuba. Carnival may decide they don’t need the aggravation of probably many lawsuits over using the docks in Cuba.

5 minutes ago, Granny DI said:

Please go to the Cuba section to read about the Carnival-Cuba lawsuit filed on May 2, 2019. This creates a whole new can of worms for cruises to Cuba. Carnival may decide they don’t need the aggravation of probably many lawsuits over using the docks in Cuba.

Thanks Granny DI. I do know about it. Lawsuits can take years to adjudicate. I doubt there will be any resolution before my cruise. There is always something that can discourage you for doing what you want. I'll take my chances.

I am not sure - the lawsuit, possible further government pronouncements from the US side and issues reported re Blexie and the other independent guides looks like it could be heading for that perfect storm - each thing significant but not major but together it is all too much for the cruise line.  I know they can say that their guests can avoid the issue re the Cuban guides by booking cruise line excursions but they will also know this is not going to be wholly popular.  Whilst the lawsuit could indeed take a long time to be resolved if it looks like it reflects the administrations stance on doing business with Cuba Azamara may decide it is not worth the risk continuing with the itineraries for this autumn.

Given the extremely high premium on the cruise I have booked because it is a Cuba cruise, I would not be happy if for that price I was given a cruise round the Caribbean islands.  If the price changes to reflect the different itinerary I might continue with the cruise otherwise I will be triggering the Plan B I have been working on for this autumn.

I really hope there is a little more clarity soon.

• Like 1

Wow, I'm so glad I came here and got this info, I also have no desire to go to other islands, done that.  I'm not much of a risk taker so I'm on the fence on this on for a while.  I'm thinking there will be cabins available on the Cuba cruise until the very end with things up in the air?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rmalbers said:

Wow, I'm so glad I came here and got this info, I also have no desire to go to other islands, done that.  I'm not much of a risk taker so I'm on the fence on this on for a while.  I'm thinking there will be cabins available on the Cuba cruise until the very end with things up in the air?

We cancelled our Jan 2020 Cuban cruise on Monday. When the time comes the cruiselines will substitute the Cuban ports for ones they can schedule.  We wanted to pick our own  ports so found a cruise that fit our timeline and favorite ports.   No one knows how long this uncertainty will last so we bailed.

I was doing some more poking around and found this - Everything Americans Need to Know Before Traveling to Cuba - which has this in it, it sounds promising: "It is difficult to predict if any impact will be felt by the proposed changes until we understand what those changes are,” says Tom Popper, president of U.S.-based tour operator insightCuba“Wednesday’s speech was an announcement. No new regulations regarding travel to Cuba were issued, and no specifics were provided as to what may change.”

According to U.S. government officials, it could take up to a few months for the vaguely defined new regulations to be revised and implemented. “American travelers should not worry about travel to Cuba being banned overnight,” says Robert Muse, a lawyer in Washington, D.C., who specializes in travel to the island nation. “Even if such rules eventually impact U.S. travelers, they will probably be allowed to complete any travel booked before the new regulations take effect.”.  etc.

• Like 1

I just called A and the person I spoke to said that the Cuba cruise/s are a go and if they don't go for some reason there will be a refund not port changes.  I guess I would like to see that in writing but that's what she said.

• Like 2