What happens to the Cuba cruises?

florisdekort

2 hours ago, Symmes99 said:

I traded my 11-night Cuba cruise for a 24-night Indian Ocean cruise, departing Mumbai on 12/28/19 and arriving in Cape Town on 1/21/20. I got the booking confirmation from Azamara, and just checked My Voyages and it’s there too. So I feel pretty good!

Wow....that's great! 

6 hours ago, Symmes99 said:

I traded my 11-night Cuba cruise for a 24-night Indian Ocean cruise, departing Mumbai on 12/28/19 and arriving in Cape Town on 1/21/20. I got the booking confirmation from Azamara, and just checked My Voyages and it’s there too. So I feel pretty good!

I think that’s azamazing - well done!

Edited by Host Grandma Cruising

11 hours ago, Symmes99 said:

How fantastic! That's a very good deal indeed. 

suzyloves2cruise - I never asked what you booked as a replacement. You had mentioned British isles. Is it the 14-night British Isle & Golf Voyage in July 2020? If so, that was another cruise we considered because we love Ireland and Scotland. And that would have been a great deal for us too. But the lure of India and Africa pulled us towards what we booked. 

What's really weird is this will be only our 2nd cruise with Azamara, and a similar situation happened with our first cruise. We booked an 11-night Canary Island cruise in early 2016. A week later, Azamara cancelled the cruise and said pick another one in the same cabin category, and gave $500 OBC for our "inconvenience". I felt a little guilty because the ink was barely dry on the booking confirmation. But only a little guilty - we selected a 17-night southeast Asia cruise as a replacement. To this day we count that as one of our top 3 trips, so I'm glad we made that selection. 

Azamara has been really great about compensation. 

We're also booked on the Quest cruise in November, from Lisbon to Rio. We really want to do that cruise, so I hope nothing happens like the last two times!

29 minutes ago, Symmes99 said:

suzyloves2cruise - I never asked what you booked as a replacement. You had mentioned British isles. Is it the 14-night British Isle & Golf Voyage in July 2020? If so, that was another cruise we considered because we love Ireland and Scotland. And that would have been a great deal for us too. But the lure of India and Africa pulled us towards what we booked. 

What's really weird is this will be only our 2nd cruise with Azamara, and a similar situation happened with our first cruise. We booked an 11-night Canary Island cruise in early 2016. A week later, Azamara cancelled the cruise and said pick another one in the same cabin category, and gave $500 OBC for our "inconvenience". I felt a little guilty because the ink was barely dry on the booking confirmation. But only a little guilty - we selected a 17-night southeast Asia cruise as a replacement. To this day we count that as one of our top 3 trips, so I'm glad we made that selection. 

Azamara has been really great about compensation. 

We're also booked on the Quest cruise in November, from Lisbon to Rio. We really want to do that cruise, so I hope nothing happens like the last two times!

Yes...we booked 24 nt British Isles/Golf. Bought excursion to see St Andrew's and will see about going to the British Open. Thanks to Azamara for being generous with their compensation. 

On 6/6/2019 at 11:14 AM, ECCruise said:

Here is the actual wording.  Doesn't reference the "same category" on different sailing issue. I thought the original wording was strange.  Not likely we would be able to substitute this crossing for our 26 day Cape Town to Dubai sailing. 😏

And, I've already asked.  The $500 OBC referenced is NONrefundable, which is fairly useless to us since we already have OBC.

Dear Travel Partner,
We're writing to inform you of some important changes to your client's itinerary 16-Night Westward Journey Voyage scheduled to depart Barcelona, Spain on Azamara Journey, November 5, 2019.
The United States government declared that effective immediately, educational and recreational (or people-to-people) travel to Cuba is no longer permitted. This new regulation prohibits travel from the U.S. to Cuba by cruise ship. As a result, this change requires us to immediately replace all Cuban ports.
We know this is disappointing, we are disappointed as well. We know how much time and effort goes into planning your cruise and we never like when circumstances impact your vacation. Regrettably, this decision is outside of our control.
This redeployment has allowed us to add some of our favorite ports of call in the region to the itinerary. Your clients will now enjoy a stop in Malaga, Spain, as well as, a call on Madeira, Portugal. Additionally, we have added an overnight in Hamilton, Bermuda. With this change we did need to remove the previously scheduled call in Key West, Florida. The details are clearly shown in the charts below.
Naturally, any shore excursions purchased for Cuba through Azamara, will be refunded or credited for new shore excursions in a new alternative port of call.
We invite your clients to select one of the compensation alternatives described below:
  • Remain on the sailing, in the same category booked, and your clients will receive a $500 onboard credit per standard stateroom or a $1,000 onboard credit for suites.
  • If they choose to cancel, a full refund for amounts paid will be processed to the original form of payment however, they will not receive the other incentives described above. We will reimburse with proper receipts, up to $500 per person for non-refundable Airfare/Hotel changes. Protected commission only on bookings paid in full.
Please take some time to consider their options and review their personal calendar. We ask that your clients inform us of their decision no later than July 12th, 2019. All reservations that are not changed by the specified close date will be ineligible for the compensation offered.
In the meantime, should you have any questions about this voyage, please call us at your convenience.
For Individual Reservations: 1-877-222-2526; press menu option 1, then menu option 1, again
For Group Reservations: 1-800-556-8208; press menu option 1
Thank you for your understanding. We take great pride in bringing every Azamara guest unforgettable experiences both onboard our ships and within our destinations. We can assure you that your clients' Azamara vacation will deliver the highest standards of service and quality for which we are known.
We look forward to welcoming your clients onboard.

Sincerely, Azamara
Click here to view the itinerary in your browser.

We were on the Cruise Jan 2018 to Havana and the Panama Canal. The only thing interesting for us was seeing all the 1950's cars that had to be redone because of Castro. The removal of Cuba from the cruise circuit will only hurt Cuba. There were silly rules when we went, but we enjoyed the Tropicana Cabaret Show I would prefer to go back to Malaga, Spain and ride back to Mijos rather than go to Cuba. The Cuban people were nice, but there was not much to see but old buildings and where Castro gave his speeches. Lots of History, but one can read about that. Glad I went but wouldn't go back.

Edited by scapel

1 hour ago, scapel said:

We were on the Cruise Jan 2018 to Havana and the Panama Canal. The only thing interesting for us was seeing all the 1950's cars that had to be redone because of Castro. The removal of Cuba from the cruise circuit will only hurt Cuba. There were silly rules when we went, but we enjoyed the Tropicana Cabaret Show I would prefer to go back to Malaga, Spain and ride back to Mijos rather than go to Cuba. The Cuban people were nice, but there was not much to see but old buildings and where Castro gave his speeches. Lots of History, but one can read about that. Glad I went but wouldn't go back.

It all depends what you are looking for. We have previously spent 10 days in Cuba and couldn't wait to get back. The countryside, the paladors, the farms, the schools and retirement homes we visited all made a lasting impression. The old cars not so much since none of them are original, most powered by Toyota or Lada powerplants. 

Alas, going back is not in the cards. 

10 minutes ago, ECCruise said:

It all depends what you are looking for. We have previously spent 10 days in Cuba and couldn't wait to get back. The countryside, the paladors, the farms, the schools and retirement homes we visited all made a lasting impression. The old cars not so much since none of them are original, most powered by Toyota or Lada powerplants. 

Alas, going back is not in the cards. 

I just spent one cruise overnight and one day, so didn't get to see the country side. There certainly should be a way for the politicians to get together and put money aside and just do the right thing and let Americans visit.

3 minutes ago, scapel said:

I just spent one cruise overnight and one day, so didn't get to see the country side. There certainly should be a way for the politicians to get together and put money aside and just do the right thing and let Americans visit.

This is about Cuba’s interference in Venezuela not money.  Thousands of Venezuelans are fleeing to Columbia to find food.  The world can’t send much aid until Maduro and his fellow travelers are gone. Hopefully this move helps remove Maduro.....but not holding my breath.

I went to Cuba this year on MSC with a group of ladies.  Thought DH would enjoy Havana so we booked a 4 night cruise in November with Azamara in a suite with a BOGOHO offer.  We are disappointed but so pleased with the very generous offer from Azamara.  Moved our cruise to a 12 night British Isle cruise in 2021at the Cuba cruise price along with $1000 OBC.  Thank you Azamara!  

And, the boom just dropped. The transatlantic has been moved up to April 2020, so those of us on it have to be able to travel a month earlier or change cruises. It's also two days shorter and will end in Lisbon rather than in Southampton.

I'll have a look at my options (not many; I am a teacher and have limited time off) and try to rebook.

The March 2020 sailing included a 2-day stop in Cuba.  I realize that it is only two days and is nine months away - but -

I see that their website now has been changed to show a late evening arrival in Cozumel followed by a full day there, then a sea day.  Not really a port or schedule change that some seasoned i.e. most Azamara cruisers would appreciate who were expecting a more unique experience.

Azamara is known for going to ports that other and mass market ships do not..  Cozumel is surely not one of them.  You'd think that with nine months before sailing they could arrange something more stimulating than Cozumel. 

I have been following this thread but may have missed something.

I can’t find anything on the Azamara website for Pursuit’s itinerary for the month of April 2020.  It jumps from the end of March to May.  I presume this has to do with the Cuba situation 

I don’t having anything booked so I would not be getting a letter from Azamara, but I was interested in an April ’20 Caribbean cruise.

50 minutes ago, sabbo55 said:

I have been following this thread but may have missed something.

I can’t find anything on the Azamara website for Pursuit’s itinerary for the month of April 2020.  It jumps from the end of March to May.  I presume this has to do with the Cuba situation 

I don’t having anything booked so I would not be getting a letter from Azamara, but I was interested in an April ’20 Caribbean cruise.

According to the info from my TA, the Pursuit's eastbound TA (from Miami to Lisbon) departs April 5 and arrives in Lisbon on April 18. Presumably the last Caribbean itinerary departs from Miami in March.

27 minutes ago, hrhdhd said:

According to the info from my TA, the Pursuit's eastbound TA (from Miami to Lisbon) departs April 5 and arrives in Lisbon on April 18. Presumably the last Caribbean itinerary departs from Miami in March.

Thanks that makes sense.  I guess the website has to catch up.  It shows Pursuit arriving in Miami on 3/23 from Lima.  Nothing is posted between 3/23 and April.  Maybe they will be squeezing a Caribbean cruise or 2 in between.

2 hours ago, sabbo55 said:

Thanks that makes sense.  I guess the website has to catch up.  It shows Pursuit arriving in Miami on 3/23 from Lima.  Nothing is posted between 3/23 and April.  Maybe they will be squeezing a Caribbean cruise or 2 in between.

This doesn't make sense to me at all.  We're booked on a May 9, 2020 Pursuit trans-Atlantic from Miami to Southampton

1 hour ago, hrhdhd said:

See my earlier post. That TA now is in April.

Nice of Azamara to let us know.  Was about to book flights and hotel. 

At one time or another we've had ten Azamara cruises booked during the period from this August through next May, and eight of the ten have had either major date or itinerary changes...sometimes both. 

Too much of this disruptive nonsense for me.  A big black mark for Azamara to add to the new upgrade scheme disaster.  They must not realize they're losing once-loyal patrons with the incredibly callous attitude displayed toward us.

• Like 1

On 6/15/2019 at 2:31 PM, scapel said:

You have to do a land trip which you can still do to experience the real Cuba.  Also, you have to spend much of your time outside of Havana which the cruises do not do and also stay in a town for several days so that you are there when the cruise ship tourists run back to the ships.  I have been there twice and my brother has been there 3 times.  Both of us loved seeing and experiencing the real Cuba.  I would go back again in a heartbeat and probably will.  It is really easy - just travel out of Canada.

DON

Edited by donaldsc
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, BBMacLaird said:

It is news to me. I will find out from our itinerary department by tomorrow, and from marketing to see if letters have been sent/are in the works.

I am hoping we can cancel May 9 and the b2b May 24 without penalty and get on with our lives uninterrupted.

51 minutes ago, BBMacLaird said:

It is news to me. I will find out from our itinerary department by tomorrow, and from marketing to see if letters have been sent/are in the works.

I'm looking at the website now (Monday evening).  Pursuit sails from Lima to Miami on March 23rd, after that there are no listings for Pursuit.  It appears again in Southampton on May 24th.  I have nothing booked so I won't get a letter.  I was just interested in a spring 2020 Caribbean cruise.

30 minutes ago, sabbo55 said:

I'm looking at the website now (Monday evening).  Pursuit sails from Lima to Miami on March 23rd, after that there are no listings for Pursuit.  It appears again in Southampton on May 24th.  I have nothing booked so I won't get a letter.  I was just interested in a spring 2020 Caribbean cruise.

Apparently Pursuit will do something in the Caribbean not involving Cuba starting March 23 and ending April 5, then head for Lisbon arriving April 18. The next month she'll likely do the western Med, Portugal, and France's Atlantic ports on the way to Southampton May 24.

I will do something else.

We were on the original TA cruise from Miami to Southampton departing May 9. Not that it matters but there wasn't anything in the Pursuit's schedule prior to the current Cuba shakeup between March 23 and May 9. I assumed it was a planned maintenance during the gap in the schedule

17 minutes ago, BigBee51 said:

We were on the original TA cruise from Miami to Southampton departing May 9. Not that it matters but there wasn't anything in the Pursuit's schedule prior to the current Cuba shakeup between March 23 and May 9. I assumed it was a planned maintenance during the gap in the schedule

It's all in the past now, but a few months ago the website had Caribbean cruises on 

April 5-- 5 nights
April 21- 4 nights

April 25—5 nights

I had bookmarked them for future consideration.  "poof"