Flying from US to Canada?

Another question from me...but you all give great answers and thanks!!

If I am flying from the Florida and have to stop in EWR then off to Quebec City, when do I go to customs?  Before I get my luggage at QC airport or after I get my luggage?  How long does the entire Customs process take?  First time ever flying into a non US airport.

Going to Canada, you will do Customs before getting your luggage. Time depends on how many passengers, how many agents, etc.

If you are flying back from Canada, you will preclear US Customs/Immigration prior to clearing airport security.

This is incorrect. Québec International  Airport does not have US pre-clearance facilities so you will clear US Customs and Immigration at Newark on your return to the US. 

Québec Airport now has primary inspection kiosks so when you arrive you will scan your passport and answer a few questions. It will then take your picture and issue a receipt which you hand to a border services officer. You then proceed to collect your luggage (unless you have been selected for secondary inspection) and then pass through Customs.  Here’s more on the kiosks. 

https://cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/pik-bip-eng.html

• Like 1