San Francisco information

3 hours ago, All in the same boat said:

We'll be cruising out of San Francisco in January. We plan to arrive 3 to 4 days early because we have never visited SF. We would like suggestions on places to stay. We are big Seafood fans, so if anybody has a favorite restaurant please let us know.

What is your budget per night for a hotel and what is your budget for dinner?

My favorite seafood restaurants in SF are Tadich Grill (oldest restaurant in CA, dates to the Gold Rush days), Sam's Grill (also over 100 years old), Swan Oyster Depot, Waterbar and Farallon, but there are a dozen or more good ones.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, scottca075 said:

What is your budget per night for a hotel and what is your budget for dinner?

My favorite seafood restaurants in SF are Tadich Grill (oldest restaurant in CA, dates to the Gold Rush days), Sam's Grill (also over 100 years old), Swan Oyster Depot, Waterbar and Farallon, but there are a dozen or more good ones.

Our budget is in the moderate range for both. Thanks for the info.

All of the above suggestions are great! (Although I found Farallon disappointing on a visit a couple of years ago, but it's still a knockout restaurant in a very convenient location near Union Square).

If you find yourself in Fisherman's wharf, there are a couple of touristy-but-good options as well.
 - Scoma's - it's directly on the water and ships drop off their catch right at the restaurant. It's a bit difficult to find initially, because you have to walk through what appears to be an alley behind some buildings on the water.
- Franciscan Restaurant. Totally old-school tourist, but the quality is usually good. Great views in a restaurant built in the 60s (50s?) to maximize the sights.

As far as places to stay, there are a lot of hotels, most quite expensive. I'd look primarily near Union Square. Moscone Center, and the Enbarcadero Center. I'd avoid Fisherman's Wharf (it's less convenient to elsewhere in town).  A couple of decades ago, SF started the trend of "boutique hotels" remodeled old hotels with stylish design, small rooms and personalized service. The two chains that started this, Joie de Vivre and Kimpton, still have a lot of hotels here and may be a good choice. If it's nice weather and you don't mind wheeling your luggage a  mile or so, it's a pleasant stroll along the bay on the Embarcadero with wide sidewalks, to the Cruise Terminal at Pier 27 if your hotel is on the Embarcadero.

...Also beware of the "Tenderloin" a sketchy area of town in the Civic Center area. (South of Market, between 6th and 12th - except for the Intercontinental Hotel at 6th & Howard, also North of Market between Taylor & Van Ness, and Market & Geary - except for the big hotels near Geary & Taylor). In related advice, if staying in one of the big hotels on the border (Intercontinental. Hilton, Nikko) - always better to walk a couple blocks east toward Union Square or Moscone Center (and Powell St Muni/BART station) than west. (Market St between Mason and Larkin may have some characters, but is basically OK)

4 hours ago, All in the same boat said:

Our budget is in the moderate range for both. Thanks for the info.

We need dollar amounts. San Francisco is one of the most expensive cities in the U.S. What people considerate "moderate" in San Francisco might be in the $300 range. That is considered expensive in many places.

1 hour ago, scottca075 said:

We need dollar amounts. San Francisco is one of the most expensive cities in the U.S. What people considerate "moderate" in San Francisco might be in the $300 range. That is considered expensive in many places.

We normally travel to small cities and rarely pay more than $200 a nite. I realize that SF is going to be more expensive than what we are use to. Can we find a clean place in/near Union square or Fisherman's Wharf for $250?

24 minutes ago, All in the same boat said:

Can we find a clean place in/near Union square or Fisherman's Wharf for $250?

It depends on the specific dates and how that fits into the SF Convention Center calendar. I just looked at the Courtyard FW Jan 8-11, 2020 and it was coming up at $262. So I'd start pricing hotels now. I really like the motor hotels like the Columbus Motor Inn on Lombard for value.

I recently met a young lady who grew up in San Francisco and her mom still lives there.  She told me the absolute best seafood in SF is the Pacific Cafe 7000 Geary St.  They don't take reservation.  You show up put your name on a list and they serve you free wine until your table is ready.  I haven't tried it yet, but most certainly will the next time we spend a weekend in SF.  As for hotels it just depends on what's going on in town.  We track hotel prices and drive over for the weekend when they are reasonable.  Anything under $300 in a decent area is a good deal.  We are Hilton brand loyal so always shop them first.    

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

I recently met a young lady who grew up in San Francisco and her mom still lives there.  She told me the absolute best seafood in SF is the Pacific Cafe 7000 Geary St.  They don't take reservation.  You show up put your name on a list and they serve you free wine until your table is ready. 

Bring a warm coat.  In that area Karl the Fog comes in around 3pmish and sometimes he's really thick by dinner time. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

But is the food good? 

I don't do seafood, but I grew up in the area:classic_smile:.  My junior & high schools are a few blocks away and Lincoln Park golf course where I sent many a ball to the twilight zone :classic_dry: is a block north.   

Edited by Philob

11 hours ago, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

But is the food good? 

Not as good as Tadich or Sam's, but if you've been to them, give it a try. I don't like the limited menu, preparations and lack of sides, but it is nice as a change of pacee.

Thanks for this updated topic.  How about Sotto Mare for cioppino.  Tourist? Good? Or Both?

Also would like to hear local suggestions for Italian, Chinese Noodles, and Pizza (any style as long as it’s great!).  Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and Safe Journeys.  Paul

1 hour ago, pjrockman said:

Thanks for this updated topic.  How about Sotto Mare for cioppino.  Tourist? Good? Or Both?

Also would like to hear local suggestions for Italian, Chinese Noodles, and Pizza (any style as long as it’s great!).  Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and Safe Journeys.  Paul

This 3 year old post mentions a lot of food places...some are gone, but use it as a starter.

Thanks to both.  I did read TLC’s blog when I booked.  I always read his travel adventures.  However, I did forget about Eater, so I updated myself on the latest openings, etc.

Thanks for the validation of Sotto Mare, ScottCa.  What else do you need other than Seafood and Pasta!?!  Well....a little of that good bread to sop up the broth is also a must!

Thanks again.  Paul

Check out an app like Hotel Tonight, we are in the south bay and use it often for hotels in SF for a night out.  Used to be that you could only book day of, but for the past few years they let you book 100 days in advance.

16 hours ago, margu1241 said:

Check out an app like Hotel Tonight, we are in the south bay and use it often for hotels in SF for a night out.

I would be cautious using an app for a site like HotelTonight for someone who doesn't know the City. There are hotels that say "Union Square" that I'd call The Tenderloin.

1 hour ago, scottca075 said:

I would be cautious using an app for a site like HotelTonight for someone who doesn't know the City. There are hotels that say "Union Square" that I'd call The Tenderloin.

What I like about hotel tonight, as opposed to bidding on Priceline is that you know exactly what hotel you are looking at and can do due diligence and research it before booking. Totally agree that there are many areas in SF that I would recommend avoiding, the Tenderloin being one of them. 

if your looking for a good spot for Pizza, check out Tony's Napoletana.  Its in little Italy on Stockton street.  Best Pizza I have ever had, oh and the cannoli's are to die for.  Get there early as there is always a wait, but just learned you can check in ahead of time on Yelp.  Enjoy SF!!!