Pickleball on Zuiderdam?

Scarlette

We are on the Voyage of the Vikings in August.  I believe (although I cannot remember the source of my information) there will be nets available on the sports court.  We plan on bringing our paddles and balls, and will hope for the best.  Last year we were told pickleball would be available on the Koningsdam TA.  However, the netting surround the court was not suitable for pickleball. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Scarlette said:

Thinking about booking Zuiderdam to the Baltic this summer.  

Do they have pickleball courts and times planned for open play?

In a word - YES!

We just disembarked from the Zuiderdam last week, and playing pickleball was one of the highlights of the cruise. There is one court on deck 11, completely surrounded by netting. The "Where and When" published times were in the afternoon, but after the first day the players (there were about 10 of us) agreed to meet up early in the morning instead when temps were cooler and the winds were lighter (although some days were just too windy). We did speak to Andy, the cruise director, to suggest some earlier playing times which he agreed to consider.

The paddles are wooden, so I would suggest that you bring your own; there are a few balls but extra would be good as well.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, daisy-mae said:

In a word - YES!

We just disembarked from the Zuiderdam last week, and playing pickleball was one of the highlights of the cruise. There is one court on deck 11, completely surrounded by netting. The "Where and When" published times were in the afternoon, but after the first day the players (there were about 10 of us) agreed to meet up early in the morning instead when temps were cooler and the winds were lighter (although some days were just too windy). We did speak to Andy, the cruise director, to suggest some earlier playing times which he agreed to consider.

The paddles are wooden, so I would suggest that you bring your own; there are a few balls but extra would be good as well.

Oh, my gosh, thank you for the great news!

I will definitely pack our paddles.

• 3 years later...

The When&Where will list it at 9 or 930 most every day.  Pickleballers will show up.  You can also set an afternoon play party with others that you meet.  I played every day at 9 and 3, including most port days.  Bring extra OUTDOOR balls (I recommend Franklin X40s, not orange).  Indoor balls don't work very well, even with the slightest wind.  You can't rely on HAL to know, accomodate, or have enough of the right balls, unfortunately - they will eventually learn if they listen.  They will have paddles but the quality is not great.  Also, HAL should be up and running as the official Pickleball cruise line for the PPA.  They were NOT ready for the South America Grand Voyage on the Volendam earlier this year.

• Like 1