Car Seats & MIAMI

PumpkinPatches

Hey parents!

My family and I will be sailing out of Miami next year.  We have 2 kids (2 years and 8 months old) with us.  I understand that Florida has a law that all kids under 5 MUST be in car seats.  I really don't want to have to lug around my car seats on the trip.  So looking for your recommendations for shuttle services that provide car seats around Miami.

We will be booking hotels that offer free airport transportation... hopefully they just let my kids ride on my lap for that short ride, but we'll be needing to hire a shuttle company for the ride from our hotel to the cruise port.

I guess while I'm at it - if you have any hotel recommendations as well that would be fantastic!!

just get a hotel that offers a ride to the port. We stayed at the Courtyard by Marriot in Miami:

Courtyard by Marriott Fort Lauderdale Airport & Cruise Port

400 Gulf Stream Way, Dania Beach, Fl 33004 P 954.342.8333

and they had a free shuttle to the airport and POM. It was a minibus - no car seats needed.

If you do pick an Uber or Lyft with car seat, it's unlikely they will have 2 car seats.  We are taking my 2 year old on our first cruise next month and booked a hotel with a shuttle to the airport and cruise port as recommended above.  We're staying at the Hampton. 

On 4/18/2019 at 1:02 PM, Itchy&Scratchy said:

We stayed at the Courtyard by Marriot in Miami:

I just realized that I said Marriot in MIAMI, but it was actually in FLL. We sailed out of Miami, so I got confused. The hotel above only had the shuttle to FLL airport and Port Everglades, not to POM, since the hotel itself is in Ft Lauderdale. I apologize for the confusion, but you get the idea - stay in a hotel that has a bus shuttle for while you won't need a car seat.

I have stayed in hotels in Miami (Hampton, Hilton Garden...)and the shuttles from the airport were large vans, not mini-bus, so car seats would have been required.  The shuttles to the port were larger vehicles, mini-bus or full size bus, pulling a trailer for luggage.  EM

On 4/18/2019 at 12:02 PM, Itchy&Scratchy said:

just get a hotel that offers a ride to the port. We stayed at the Courtyard by Marriot in Miami:

and they had a free shuttle to the airport and POM. It was a minibus - no car seats needed.

This. We do this too. Shuttle from the airport to the hotel, then shuttle to the terminal. It's easy and perfect for avoiding the pesky car seat rules. 

How many days are you staying in Miami before the cruise? We stayed 3 days in South Beach before our cruise and rented a car with our own carseat. We returned the car to the airport and took the car rental big shuttle bus to the POM that did not require a carseat. Just another option to consider if you are staying a few days. But only certain car rentals have access the shuttles I think.  

• 4 months later...
On 4/22/2019 at 10:54 PM, Essiesmom said:

I have stayed in hotels in Miami (Hampton, Hilton Garden...

Somewhat OT but I have been trying to find a review of the Miami Airport Hilton Garden, and particularly their parking area. Are you able to provide me with any feedback? I want to make sure our car seats (and our car) don’t walk away while we are cruising. Thanks! 

On 9/6/2019 at 4:38 PM, ewespinme said:

Somewhat OT but I have been trying to find a review of the Miami Airport Hilton Garden, and particularly their parking area. Are you able to provide me with any feedback? I want to make sure our car seats (and our car) don’t walk away while we are cruising. Thanks! 

I don't know about the Miami area, but we routinely left our $300 Britax Frontier and a $100 Diono Monterey in the car at the ATL aiport parking and they never walked away.

4 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

don't know about the Miami area, but we routinely left our $300 Britax Frontier and a $100 Diono Monterey in the car at the ATL aiport parking and they never walked away

Thanks. Airport parking usually has a security presence. In contrast I know the area around MIA from when I used to live in Miami and, at least then, is not the kind of place I would want to leave my car unmoving and unattended for an extended period. That is why I was hoping for a recent review.  But the hotel reviews are pretty mixed also so I think we will stay elsewhere. 

• Like 1