Buffet or Cafeteria style?

NSAHO79

1 minute ago, SetAnOpenCourse said:

I like both styles, but for mash potatoes, for which I have a slight preference for the buffet.  After asking, “a little more, please” a third time, I become slightly self-conscious!

😊

I have the opposite problem. Sometimes I want a little of several things, and if the first thing I ask for covers the plate, where does the other food go? I hate waste, so if they give me too much, I have a problem. I don't want to stuff myself, but I don't want to be one of those people others tsk at and say "Look at her, she took all that food and didn't finish it!"

2 hours ago, TAD2005 said:

Taco bars are still on the Vista  and R class ships.  But eventually they will be gone too.   On the Eurodam, the Taco Bar is now just left of the pasta station in the Lido market.  A server will prepare your plate and you can get whatever you want, and as much as you want, so there should be no complaints.   There were 2 salad stations in the Lido Market on the Eurodam last month.  The servers will build your salad with whatever you want, and then toss it with your favorite dressing.   They are open all afternoon, they do not close at 2:00 PM.

On the Westerdam a year ago,  sitting at a table near the Taco bar, I watched a lady spooning sour cream onto her plate.  After she took a few spoon fulls,  she licked the spoon and put it back into the tub of sour cream.   Disgusting !!  I notified the Dive-In workers and they removed the sour cream and replaced it. 

On a Costa ship a few years ago, we watched young kids reaching into the breakfast bar (self serve at that time) and picking out pieces of bacon and sausage with their fingers.  Their parents were oblivious to this.

:Let's face it, some people are slobs, and will act on a cruise ship just like they act at home.   The fewer places that passengers can get their grubby hands on food and food serving utensils, the healthier the ship, and all of us will be.    

I used to like the taco bar before I read your post!!!!!!!  😱

I like to get a salad and then put some taco stuff on it. Sadly, the K doesn't have a taco bar or a taco station in the Lido, and I really missed my "enhanced" salads.

7 hours ago, daisybertie said:

We have recently completed a wonderful cruise on the Maasdam. Ate in the Lido every meal. Was very grateful that it was cafeteria style service after observing one passenger sitting at the dining table blowing his nose into the linen table napkin. Quite put me off my lunch! 

Have seen that in both the main dining room and the Lido.

9 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Not the OP, but I do understand why people like a buffet style. You can get exactly what you want and the amount you want. (I find the servers tend to be too generous with portions)

I have developed a system where I ask for a 'little' or 'only one please'. If it seems not enough then i ask 'a little more please'. Always can go back for seconds!

Much, much prefer the cafeteria style, indeed don't think I would cruise on a 'buffet style' ship.

• Like 1

I really like the fact that HAL has nearly everything in the Lido Cafeteria style.

We have experienced this new system for several years and do believe that it does cut back on germs.

If I want just a tiny bit of something, I tell the server to give me just a teaspoon of this and that.  Never had a problem getting what I want.

• Like 1

Like the buffet better, but the way others handle the food does bother me, so I guess I am fine with the cafeteria style.

HAL seems to be taking alot of measures to reduce the spread of viruses on their ships and while sometimes this is an inconvenience to us, I agree and appreciate it. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

Like the buffet better, but the way others handle the food does bother me, so I guess I am fine with the cafeteria style.

HAL seems to be taking alot of measures to reduce the spread of viruses on their ships and while sometimes this is an inconvenience to us, I agree and appreciate it. 

I've been on a couple of HAL ships where they had the beginnings of a Noro outbreak. They jump on that in a flash--no self-serve coffee in the Lido, no salt/pepper on the tables, etc. A friend was on Something of the Seas when Noro was so bad that they went home early to super-clean the ship. She said the ship was a ghost town because so many people were in their rooms. I've never seen that on a HAL ship, even when they've had some Noro. "Abundance of caution" seems to be a favorite company expression. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

not dip a finger in the salad dressing to "try it." 

I've done that but only with the small dollop I'll put on my plate first to see if I like it. Its sometimes hard to tell what the white dressing (ranch, cesar) if the bottles are not labeled. Also if its something different that I've never had before. 

Edited by drowelf

18 hours ago, NSAHO79 said:

We are looking at the Nieuw Statedam for a cruise but we were on the Nieuw Amsterdam and the "buffet" was not self-serve but actually cafeteria style where servers dished out your food.  We did not like this at all so I would like to know if it is going to be the same on their newest ship before I book.  Thanks.

I loved this as it just added a little more class to HAL and kept grubby fingers out of the food.  If what that portioned out was not sufficient for me, I had no problem asking for a little extra and they were happy to oblige. 

• Like 1

I just completed a 5 night cruise on the Carnival Paradise.  I wanted to go to Havana and it was my best chance since it coincided with school vacation week for me.  It was also my first cruise on Carnival and their buffet is almost entirely self-service.  I really noticed the difference in the amount of food people wasted.  Piles of food were left at the table.  Food was dropped/fell on the counters and floor, much more than on HAL.   Now, I realize that it can be difficult to get at table at the LIdo on HAL, but I was really shocked at the madhouse on Carnival's buffet.

33 minutes ago, ChinaShrek said:

I just completed a 5 night cruise on the Carnival Paradise.  I wanted to go to Havana and it was my best chance since it coincided with school vacation week for me.  It was also my first cruise on Carnival and their buffet is almost entirely self-service.  I really noticed the difference in the amount of food people wasted.  Piles of food were left at the table.  Food was dropped/fell on the counters and floor, much more than on HAL.   Now, I realize that it can be difficult to get at table at the LIdo on HAL, but I was really shocked at the madhouse on Carnival's buffet.

Even sea days it wasn't too bad on Eurodam.  Outside tables now that was an issue.

21 hours ago, NSAHO79 said:

We are looking at the Nieuw Statedam for a cruise but we were on the Nieuw Amsterdam and the "buffet" was not self-serve but actually cafeteria style where servers dished out your food.  We did not like this at all so I would like to know if it is going to be the same on their newest ship before I book.  Thanks.

Get used to this.... It is the new norm on ALL ships and ALL lines that I have seen in tha past year   because of the illness and contamination  of people  with unsanitary hands  handling the food...  Thats where Noro and other sickness comes from...  .It ain't good... 

Edited by Hawaiidan
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, drowelf said:

I've done that but only with the small dollop I'll put on my plate first to see if I like it. Its sometimes hard to tell what the white dressing (ranch, cesar) if the bottles are not labeled. Also if its something different that I've never had before. 

I remember taking my niece out to dinner when she was about 8. We went to the salad bar and I  helped her get what she wanted. Dressings were in crocks set in ice. When I asked her if she knew what dressing she wanted, or did she want to taste any, she reached toward one of the crocks with a finger outstretched. I grabbed her hand before she could put her finger in the dressing and put a little of the one she wanted on my plate and let her dip her finger in that to try it.

I enjoy the cafeteria style in the Lido, as having travelled on other lines where it was serve yourself, it always felt like a free for all and very disorganized.

However, I have never believed that HAL does it this way for health and safety reasons.  I've always thought if H&S was the primary focus, all foods would be served in the Lido and this just isn't so.  I believe the reason has more to do with cost savings than H&S.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, TAD2005 said:

On the Westerdam a year ago,  sitting at a table near the Taco bar, I watched a lady spooning sour cream onto her plate.  After she took a few spoon fulls,  she licked the spoon and put it back into the tub of sour cream.   Disgusting !!  I notified the Dive-In workers and they removed the sour cream and replaced it. 

:Let's face it, some people are slobs, and will act on a cruise ship just like they act at home.   The fewer places that passengers can get their grubby hands on food and food serving utensils, the healthier the ship, and all of us will be.    

That’s worthy of a trip to the brig.

19 hours ago, TAD2005 said:

Taco bars are still on the Vista  and R class ships.  But eventually they will be gone too.   On the Eurodam, the Taco Bar is now just left of the pasta station in the Lido market.  A server will prepare your plate and you can get whatever you want, and as much as you want, so there should be no complaints.   There were 2 salad stations in the Lido Market on the Eurodam last month.  The servers will build your salad with whatever you want, and then toss it with your favorite dressing.   They are open all afternoon, they do not close at 2:00 PM.

On a Costa ship a few years ago, we watched young kids reaching into the breakfast bar (self serve at that time) and picking out pieces of bacon and sausage with their fingers.  Their parents were oblivious to this.

YUGH!  That reminds me of the seafood buffet at Bellagio in Las Vegas when I lived there.  Some man couldn't wait long enough for the previous person to finish with the tongs for the peel and eat shrimp so he just bare handed like a crane in a construction site dove in and grabbed a handful.   YUGH!

We LOVE the cafeteria style, less likely to acquire food borne illnesses with staff using gloved hands to serve rather than a buffet where everyone is using their nasty hands on the serving utensils!  Just notice how many people enter the dining area WITHOUT using the hand sanitizer that's available at the door!   Hope HAL NEVER changes this, it's just one of the many reasons we like HAL over the other lines!   You don't get short changed at all, staff has always accommodate my request for a little more, or extra "whatever."  Don't change a thing HAL!!!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, drowelf said:

So you stick your finger in your mouth and then reach for whatever bottle and pour what you want on the salad?  Please just ask the attendant.

13 minutes ago, bEwAbG said:

So you stick your finger in your mouth and then reach for whatever bottle and pour what you want on the salad?  Please just ask the attendant.

Left hand for tasting, right hand for serving. Or I might use a cracker if available. 🤩

4 hours ago, cbr663 said:

I enjoy the cafeteria style in the Lido, as having travelled on other lines where it was serve yourself, it always felt like a free for all and very disorganized.

However, I have never believed that HAL does it this way for health and safety reasons.  I've always thought if H&S was the primary focus, all foods would be served in the Lido and this just isn't so.  I believe the reason has more to do with cost savings than H&S.

I definitely think it is for health.  We followed a sick ship cruise on the Maasdam years ago.  When we got on we were told they were adopting the cafeteria model immediately.  We were not even allowed to pour your own coffee.  From what I heard many people had been sick the week before.  It was common to have outbreaks. I haven’t heard of any outbreaks on my recent cruises. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Hawaiidan said:

Carnival  draws on  a very  interesting demographic...who see no issue with their behavior.

Yet Carnival has far less incidents of Norovirus than HAL over the last several years.

https://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/surv/gilist.htm#2019

HAL is doing a good job this year but their record is not great.

12 hours ago, Sea42 said:

Yet Carnival has far less incidents of Norovirus than HAL over the last several years.

https://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/surv/gilist.htm#2019

HAL is doing a good job this year but their record is not great.

It may be age demographic.  The younger demographic on Carnival may not report or even have major symptoms from illness where the over 50 demographic typical on HAL will

2 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

It may be age demographic.  The younger demographic on Carnival may not report or even have major symptoms from illness where the over 50 demographic typical on HAL will

That's a good point. Norovirus is much harder on the very young and the elderly.

47 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

It may also be that Carnival cruises are generally short. By the time someone notices noro symptoms they are probably already off the ship...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1