Transportation from SF port to Airport

js92570

We are scheduled on the Grand to Hawaii from San Francisco in February, 2020. Looking for a reliable and easy transportation method from the port to the airport on disembarkation.Ā  Reviews on Lyft are less than excellent and cabs are probably hard to get. Any info?

Both Uber and Lyft get lots of play in the Bay Area, they are local companies. Ā One thing to be aware of is surge pricing which might come into play with lots of people debarking and calling simultaneously. Ā That may drive up the price above estimates at other times.

Depending on the number of passengers and ages traveling with you:

Something to consider:

• Debark ship
  • Take the "F" street-car fronting the pierĀ (heading away from Fisherman's Wharf)
  • Exit at the Embarcadero BART station (ask operator).
  • Hop on BART which takes you to SFO.Ā (ask for correct train/direction).

Ā 

Ā 

All of the above are great advice.
However, I'd only recommend that you take Muni and BART if you have a single, small piece of luggage. The historic streetcars (with steps) are often packed when they load at Fisherman's Wharf, so boarding at Pier 27 is likely to be a squeeze. And although late morning and mid-day should be fine, beware that BART gets packed during commute hours as well. (And as a variation on the above, it's 1 mile to BART but, weather permitting, it's still a very pleasant walk down the Embarcadero along the SF Bay on wide, smooth sidewalks that are luggage-friendly.)

I have no problem using Lyft in town (I avoid Uber because of their corporate attitude) and last December had no problem getting a cab at the terminal. I use an app "Flywheel" to get a can when one's not at hand but didn't need it at the terminal. Surprisingly, the driver who picked us up was unaware of the terminal and only happened upon it and saw activity and got in the queue. And he claimed to have been a cabbie for years! (I know that our passenger cruise traffic isn't what you'd call bustling, but I think we get over 50 visits a year)

I'll occasionally use SuperShuttle at the airport, and years ago used them for a group transfer, but these days I find their prices not great for a special hire. They're highly reputable and your mileage may vary, so it's probably worthwhile checking them out if you want a shared minivan transfer.

Finally, we often use a limo service, SF Limo Express for car service to/from the airport and I assume their rates from the terminal would be competitive as well https://sflimoexpress.com/

Edited by MarkBearSF

19 hours ago, Sailor1959 said:

Depending on the number of passengers and ages traveling with you:

Something to consider:

• Debark ship
  • Take the "F" street-car fronting the pierĀ (heading away from Fisherman's Wharf)
  • Exit at the Embarcadero BART station (ask operator).
  • Hop on BART which takes you to SFO.Ā (ask for correct train/direction).

Ā 

Ā 

We have done bothĀ the airport and pier 27 on multiple occasions with BART. Ā I have to disagree with one part of your plan. I always advise against taking the ā€œFā€. Ā This is a heritage line and the cars are not set up well for passengers with luggage. Ā Generally we just walk the mile or so to the Embarcadero station. Ā If mobility is a big issue one could Uber or cab there, but by that point I might just continue on to the airport. If walking it is easy and flat.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/18/2019 at 4:54 PM, js92570 said:

We are scheduled on the Grand to Hawaii from San Francisco in February, 2020. Looking for a reliable and easy transportation method from the port to the airport on disembarkation.Ā  Reviews on Lyft are less than excellent and cabs are probably hard to get. Any info?

Last time we did that we just used the Princess Airport transport. I do not recall it being very expensive. For us it was easier than finding a cab, etc. It probably cost a little more than a cab, but it was convenient.