Smoking area on Sirena?

GeezerCouple

Outside smoking area is Forward Starboard side of the pool deck. Inside smoking area is a glass enclosure on the port side of the Horizons Bar. 

IMO, it's two smoking areas too many.

Given what is clearly known about the deadly effects of smoking, how anybody could continue to smoke is unbelievable.

Fortunately, on our last two O cruises (both on Sirena in the last six months), I seldom saw anyone smoking. Perhaps folks are starting to listen to their docs, family and friends.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Outside smoking area is Forward Starboard side of the pool deck. Inside smoking area is a glass enclosure on the port side of the Horizons Bar. 

IMO, it's two smoking areas too many.

Given what is clearly known about the deadly effects of smoking, how anybody could continue to smoke is unbelievable.

Fortunately, on our last two O cruises (both on Sirena in the last six months), I seldom saw anyone smoking. Perhaps folks are starting to listen to their docs, family and friends.

On a cruise we are considering, the only two PH suites remaining are right under that area and the space under a public restroom, just short of being under the fitness center.

I was afraid my memory was correct (that's quite a change - ha!), and it might be because of the smoking area right above.  The equiv PH on the port side are taken.

Thoughts?

Many thanks!

GC

3 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

On a cruise we are considering, the only two PH suites remaining are right under that area and the space under a public restroom, just short of being under the fitness center.

I was afraid my memory was correct (that's quite a change - ha!), and it might be because of the smoking area right above.  The equiv PH on the port side are taken.

Thoughts?

Many thanks!

GC

I can tell you that, if folks are out there smoking, it can be smelled inside by the rest rooms you mention (re: passageway door opening/closing often). AND the smell can also make its way into the fitness center (one of the reason's the fitness center door is most often kept closed (particularly if there's a class going on).

A PH is certainly nice. But, IMO (we are sloop sailors), a regular veranda cabin (B) is plenty big at a far better price point. Maybe on this cruise you're considering, there's better location availability in the lower cabins.

16 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

I can tell you that, if folks are out there smoking, it can be smelled inside by the rest rooms you mention (re: passageway door opening/closing often). AND the smell can also make its way into the fitness center (one of the reason's the fitness center door is most often kept closed (particularly if there's a class going on).

A PH is certainly nice. But, IMO (we are sloop sailors), a regular veranda cabin (B) is plenty big at a far better price point. Maybe on this cruise you're considering, there's better location availability in the lower cabins.

Thanks so much.

Any idea about smoke drift downward in the evenings, although it's port intensive so we'll mostly be underway.  But smoke scent can linger, and DH has asthma, and we both detest that "smoke smell".

We'd be downsizing already from an O-ship PH, which to date is the smallest we've sailed on, so a "double downsize" at once... I was using this cruise to try downsizing by just one step, sort of.

And we often enjoy dining ensuite (and not having the full regular Specialties is something else we'd miss a lot). I don't want to change too many things at once.

Ah... apparently there's almost nothing else available at all...  it's almost all wait listed.  :classic_sad:  

So that's moot anyway.  We'd be way down on the wait list at this point.

GC

5 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

Thanks so much.

Any idea about smoke drift downward in the evenings, although it's port intensive so we'll mostly be underway.  But smoke scent can linger, and DH has asthma, and we both detest that "smoke smell".

We'd be downsizing already from an O-ship PH, which to date is the smallest we've sailed on, so a "double downsize" at once... I was using this cruise to try downsizing by just one step, sort of.

And we often enjoy dining ensuite (and not having the full regular Specialties is something else we'd miss a lot). I don't want to change too many things at once.

Ah... apparently there's almost nothing else available at all...  it's almost all wait listed.  :classic_sad:  

So that's moot anyway.  We'd be way down on the wait list at this point.

GC

Unlike the three other R ships, Sirena has combined Toscana and Polo Grill into Tuscan Steak, which has made room for Red Ginger. No Jacques on the R ships but the GDR features some classic Jacques menu items for dinner and a Jacques Bistro menu section at lunch.

BTW, Sirena's Tuscan Steak menu has less than the full menus of Toscana and Polo. BUT, with an advanced request to the Maitre'd or Chef, they will do their best to prepare any of the missing items from the full menu of each of those two restaurants on the O ships (e.g., Aragosta Fra Diavolo).

we switched from starboard (odd numbers cabins) to port side (even) on Deck 7 (the side the telephone is on in the elevator bay) because of the downwind smell from pool deck

We decided long ago not to purchase PH for the same reason--tried the PH balcony mid deck (thanks to a room attendant making up the room on a switch-over day) and it was pretty stinky.

One of the greatest things O did, as far as we're concerned, is enclosing the smoking area on the R ships on Horizons--now we enjoy going there for Happy Hour.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pinotlover said:

It has been my observation, over my cruises, that the majority of smokers, particularly  in the area adjacent to Horizons, has been senior staff including the Captain. 

This is very true and, though most of us might not consider it, not permitting crew to smoke could be a "deal breaker"' related to their accepting employment.

7 hours ago, pinotlover said:

It has been my observation, over my cruises, that the majority of smokers, particularly  in the area adjacent to Horizons, has been senior staff including the Captain. 

Unfortunate, but IMO very true.  

GC, I recommend you do NOT chance smoke misery.  I would choose less room space over that anytime but I spend so little time in my cabin.  So sorry you are having this problem.  Wishing you a good holiday weekend.

• Like 1

and I want the staff to have a place to relax--they have my beloved's life in their hands, so I'm glad they have a comfortable place to talk & laugh, have a cup of coffee, smoke, and relax, but YAY,  enclosed!

• Like 1

The poolside smoke den should be eliminated.  It is my one complaint on every cruise survey I do.  I hope others complain as well. 

Oceania does not attract a high percentage of smokers but it only takes one to stink areas up if the wind is blowing.  On one trip there was a small German group on board, enough said. 

The enclosed section of Horizons is adequate to house the smokers. 

On 4/19/2019 at 6:43 AM, pinotlover said:

The smoking area is also where I have found the nicest, most interesting and friendly fellow passengers on the whole ship, time after time.    Its a wonderful bunch  to have a drink with........and I dont smoke.   

As to smoke drifting down.... remember   the adage ,  " heat rises, water runs downhill and  there is no free lunch"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hawaiidan said:

The smoking area is also where I have found the nicest, most interesting and friendly fellow passengers on the whole ship, time after time.    Its a wonderful bunch  to have a drink with........and I dont smoke.   

As to smoke drifting down.... remember   the adage ,  " heat rises, water runs downhill and  there is no free lunch"

Dan, This is exactly why my non-smoking (25+ years) sister always joins me when I go for a smoke and visit with new friends on O.

Donna

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Hawaiidan said:

No one here is saying anything negative about the personability of other passengers (smokers or not).

What bothers those of us who want the passenger smoking spaces eliminated (crew can go to crew designated areas to smoke) is the awful stench and, worse still, our being subjected to the proven health issues associated with second hand smoke.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

No one here is saying anything negative about the personability of other passengers (smokers or not).

What bothers those of us who want the passenger smoking spaces eliminated (crew can go to crew designated areas to smoke) is the awful stench and, worse still, our being subjected to the proven health issues associated with second hand smoke.

The average person inhales far worse on the Bay Shore or Nimitz in a commute....   I respect your sensitivity but can not agree to the danger of smoke in the open air with a 15 to 20 mph breeze.....  As  a non smoker I dont notice anything to the extent you describe.... Sorry.

1 hour ago, Hawaiidan said:

The average person inhales far worse on the Bay Shore or Nimitz in a commute....   I respect your sensitivity but can not agree to the danger of smoke in the open air with a 15 to 20 mph breeze.....  As  a non smoker I dont notice anything to the extent you describe.... Sorry.

Comparative rationalizations are worthless. 

As for not smelling the stench: gimme a break!

At least on the R ships, the emergency door on the starboard side gym entrance is now most often kept closed to avoid the wafting smoke. 

• Like 1

I'm another who is very averse to the smell of smoke.  I could never do as Dan does -- go to the smoking section because you like conversing with the smokers there!

But I also have to say that the only time I've noticed the smell of smoke on Oceania was when I happened to be crossing the pool deck on the wrong side, when smokers were above me ... At first I was upset, then I remembered they were obeying the rules.

Have I just been lucky?

Mura

• Like 2

My olfactory senses are still highly attuned  . If not, what I do in the wine industry would not be possible ! I have ventured into the smoking lounge on the Nautica. Captain Max had gone in and was sitting there alone and I took the opportunity to speak to him for a few minutes. Realizing it was his break, I didn’t stay more than a couple minutes so to give him a deserved break.

A few comments: I don’t know how long the smoking lounge had been vacated, but The ventilation system had done an excellent job of removing most all of the smoke smells and haze. Was it still detectable by a sensitive nose? Of course, but it was neither over powering nor abusive. I can choke up easily with smoke and it didn’t happen. My clothes didn’t have the smell of smoke coming out either. I wouldn’t have wanted to enter if there had been 3-5 smokers sitting in there for awhile, particularly if I was leading a wine seminar afterwards, 🤪 but the ventilation system works and is highly effective. 

• Like 1