Walking Brooklyn Bridge

missalto

We will be docking at Red Hook in July (in transit Southampton round trip via Iceland) and were last in NY in 2016. This time we would quite like to get a closer view of Brooklyn Bridge and possibly walk across part of it.

We are in on a Sunday and are thinking either taxi from the ship QM2, or to take the NYC South Brooklyn ferry from Red Hook to Pier 1? It looks like the ferry stop is quite close to the cruise terminal at RH. Hopefully some good views of the Bridge from the park but how easy is it to access the bridge from there? How easy say is it to get a taxi from Brooklyn back to the cruise terminal? 

Any other help and advice much appreciated.

The ferry drops you off at Wall Street Pier 11. That’s near the South Street Seaport. You can access the Brooklyn Bridge near City Hall subway station which according to google maps is a 16 minute walk. If you’re used to walking you can take a slight detour to the 9/11 Memorial. 

The entrance to the walkway on brooklyn side is Tillary and Adams Street. 

You can take an uber or taxi to or from the entrance on the Brooklyn side. It’s not walking distance from the pier. 

Download the Gooogle Map App and you can get the walking routes. The streets are a little tricky in lower Manhattan because it’s not a grid. More like a maze. lol 

Missalto~

The Red Hook ferry landing is a two-minute walk from the Brooklyn (Red Hook) cruise terminal -- just turn left when you come out of the terminal and follow the walkway.  You can't miss it.

Actually, I would take the ferry to Pier 1, Brooklyn (designated as "DUMBO" on the ferry timetable), rather than all the way to the final stop at Pier 11, Manhattan.  The DUMBO stop is adjacent to the Brooklyn side of the Brooklyn Bridge.  You can then walk across the bridge into Manhattan.  (DUMBO, the informal name of this particular neighborhood, is an acronym for "Down Under the Manhattan Bridge Overpass".)

The ferry route map and timetable are useful.  You will be wanting the South Brooklyn (SB) route:

https://www.ferry.nyc/routes-and-schedules/route/south-brooklyn/

In addition, I've shot several videos on board the ferry and at both the Red Hook and Pier 11 Manhattan ends of the route; I think these will give you a good visualization of where you will be going:

Post Captain has it right.  

The Ferry is cost effective, frequent, and gives you a choice of landing spots. 

I cannot see the need for a taxi unless you wander far away from the East River.  If that were the case...I would Uber rather than taxi.

So let me ask you experts this question.  If I stay at Hilton Midtown would it be better and cheaper for me to take taxi from hotel to wall street ferry terminal; instead of taxi from hotel to Red Hook Pier?