Hawaii on NCL

unicorns1982

Hi everyone, 

I had a question about taking a Hawai’i only cruise on NCL.  I’ve read that we do not need a passport for that if it’s only visiting the Hawaiian Islands, and that a valid Driver’s license will suffice. Is this true?  What about customs and immigration when we get back from the cruise? Aren’t they stationed at the cruise terminal? Or does that not apply to Hawaii only cruises on NCL?  Anybody that has taken that cruise or may have feedback on this based on prior experience?  I believe the cruise may be starting and ending in Honolulu, with no stops in any foreign ports, only Hawaiian Islands.  Thanks for any input. Happy sailing! 

OP: last time I checked, Hawaii (including all of its islands) was still a U.S. state. It's a domestic flight from the U.S. mainland so, for a US citizen, all you'd need to fly to/from Hawaii from another US state is a Real ID (or Enhanced?) Driver's License or a US Passport Card.

Note, of course, that a specific cruise line (pretty much all of the premium/luxury ones) require that all passengers on all itineraries have a valid passport book. Not sure if (though I doubt) NCL has that requirement.

As for any type of border "inspection," non-US citizens are subject to regular US-CBP scrutiny in Hawaii (or any other US Port of Entry). But, EVERYONE will encounter USDA/Hawaiian agricultural inspectors (yes, please don't try to bring/take food, sand, etc to/from Hawaii [or California, New Zealand, Chile or anywhere else that puts a ton of food on your table]).

Aloha 

I have taken the Hawaii cruise NCL offers. If you are a US citizen you do not need a passport. As stated above travel to/from Hawaii is the same as travel between any other states.  There is no immigration or customs at the end of the cruise because you have never left the US. It's a great cruise as long as you go with the expectation that it will not be like a cruise in the Caribbean.