HAL Alaska

never_cruised

I was watching some YouTube tours of the MS Koningsdam and really liked what I saw however I have a few questions in relation to Holland America and cruising Alaska with them.

Do you ever see many kids on the later August cruises ?

Our daughter has never liked the clubs onboard (feels she's to old lol) and at the time of travel will have become a teenager do you see many others at similar age on this cruise ?

We really enjoy music especially live performances and like the look of some of the venues on this ship.

Edited by never_cruised

38 minutes ago, never_cruised said:

I was watching some YouTube tours of the MS Koningsdam and really liked what I saw however I have a few questions in relation to Holland America and cruising Alaska with them.

Do you ever see many kids on the later August cruises ?

Our daughter has never liked the clubs onboard (feels she's to old lol) and at the time of travel will have become a teenager do you see many others at similar age on this cruise ?

We really enjoy music especially live performances and like the look of some of the venues on this ship.

August does have more kids than normal as school vacation time is family travel season.  The only time you see kids will be on some excursions and during meal hours as the Club HAL programs,  especially for teens, keeps them occupied.  One of the teen hangouts on the Konigsdam is the NY Pizza (free) just above the Lido indoor pool where they can design their own pizza.

Here is a link to a typical Alaska teen program:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/AL-15-Kids-13-17.pdf

The konigsdam has a number of live music venues.

Enjoy your cruise planning.

1 minute ago, Crew News said:

August does have more kids than normal as school vacation time is family travel season.  The only time you see kids will be on some excursions and during meal hours as the Club HAL programs,  especially for teens, keeps them occupied.  One of the teen hangouts on the Konigsdam is the NY Pizza (free) just above the Lido indoor pool where they can design their own pizza.

Here is a link to a typical Alaska teen program:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/AL-15-Kids-13-17.pdf

The konigsdam has a number of live music venues.

Enjoy your cruise planning.

With the pending legal decision to ban HAL/ Princess Carnival from US  and Alaska ports due in June... I would wait till july. to book ,,,,,,,,,,, or look at NCL  which  is not being sued by the courts.   

Read up on the problem of HAL  and others dumping waste in Alaska and the legal situation......  No joke

8 hours ago, Hawaiidan said:

With the pending legal decision to ban HAL/ Princess Carnival from US  and Alaska ports due in June... I would wait till july. to book ,,,,,,,,,,, or look at NCL  which  is not being sued by the courts.   

Read up on the problem of HAL  and others dumping waste in Alaska and the legal situation......  No joke

HAL is being sued by the courts? 

Let's not over react....

14 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

HAL is being sued by the courts? 

Let's not over react....

Read the article  Carnival the parent of HAL is being sued for incidents  HAL westerdam  did in Alaska 

So yes  HAL, Princess Carnival...etc  are all party to a court decision as to whether to ban ALL carnival family cruises from US ports.....    They have already lost in court and WERE placed on probation..... and they violated their probation.!!!!    This has made the court furious and  stated ,they are considering a  Carnival ban...across the board.    It may be that because HAL  was the violator that they alone will get banned....   June  will be very interesting.        As said read up....

25 minutes ago, Hawaiidan said:

Read the article  Carnival the parent of HAL is being sued for incidents  HAL westerdam  did in Alaska 

So yes  HAL, Princess Carnival...etc  are all party to a court decision as to whether to ban ALL carnival family cruises from US ports.....    They have already lost in court and WERE placed on probation..... and they violated their probation.!!!!    This has made the court furious and  stated ,they are considering a  Carnival ban...across the board.    It may be that because HAL  was the violator that they alone will get banned....   June  will be very interesting.        As said read up....

Boy I hope they are not banned. I am scheduled to be on HAL the first two weeks in June.  Does the judge have friends at RCI or Celebrity?

23 hours ago, Hawaiidan said:

Lets not jump to collusions here and panic people, it is very doubtful that any ban would go into effect this year plus the economic impact to the ports, vendors, and  Alaska tourism would be too catastrophic.  If any ban was by some remote chance, to be imposed that decision would be appealed in the court systems and would take years to be totally adjudicated. Anyone who waits until July to book an Alaska cruise will most likely be too late.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

Lets not jump to collusions here and panic people, it is very doubtful that any ban would go into effect this year plus the economic impact to the ports, vendors, and  Alaska tourism would be too catastrophic.  If any ban was by some remote chance, to be imposed that decision would be appealed in the court systems and would take years to be totally adjudicated. Anyone who waits until July to book an Alaska cruise will most likely be too late.

Howeve, its a very real situation that would not be wise to ignore.   Carnival has made a lot of enemy's in the cruise world and they would be very happy to see the corp get smacked.      There may be forces working behind the scenes to see the ban goes through, as it would benefit them

There are many lines that would be eager to quickly fill and impact on Alaska, or any other region....  Economic impact would be short term and minimal in my opinion      What ever happens  it is  a real situation  discussed at length on other posts.

3 hours ago, Hawaiidan said:

Howeve, its a very real situation that would not be wise to ignore.   Carnival has made a lot of enemy's in the cruise world and they would be very happy to see the corp get smacked.      There may be forces working behind the scenes to see the ban goes through, as it would benefit them

There are many lines that would be eager to quickly fill and impact on Alaska, or any other region....  Economic impact would be short term and minimal in my opinion      What ever happens  it is  a real situation  discussed at length on other posts.

Cruise lines don't have extra cruise ships just sitting around, it would mean pulling ships from Europe, canceling Europe cruises, etc. Ain't going to happen. Things just can't evolve that fast.

Carnival Corp has about 20 ships in Alaska...how the heck that volume  be replaced and economic impact be stopped? Same, or even more for Caribbean sailings out of US ports. The economic impact to Alaska would be massive. Think on that for awhile.

You said earlier Carnival was being "sued by the courts". Courts don't sue. In this case the court is supervising probation, in a case where the US Government brought charges in a federal court. Carnival Corp is not following it's probation requirements well.

7 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Cruise lines don't have extra cruise ships just sitting around, it would mean pulling ships from Europe, canceling Europe cruises, etc. Ain't going to happen. Things just can't evolve that fast.

Carnival Corp has about 20 ships in Alaska...how the heck that volume  be replaced and economic impact be stopped? Same, or even more for Caribbean sailings out of US ports. The economic impact to Alaska would be massive. Think on that for awhile.

You said earlier Carnival was being "sued by the courts". Courts don't sue. In this case the court is supervising probation, in a case where the US Government brought charges in a federal court. Carnival Corp is not following it's probation requirements well.

wrong verbage...Carnival last year was cited by  the authorities....  there was a  trial   Carnival found guilty... paid a 40 million fine and placed on 5 years probation....  Two years in they  were found to have violated that probation.   THey are already guilty , what remains is the punishment..    June  we and carnival will know its fate.         I doubt that Alaska or any other port will suffer there are plenty of replacements...  waiting in the wings.     That with Cuba being axed too...    Big changes  in any event

Carnival has few friends.............