Severe weather in Florida

ALaver

Hi,

My father is scheduled to sail on Symphony tomorrow. Severe weather has now cancelled his connecting flight from DFW to MIA. Is there any chance of Symphony being delayed tomorrow due to all the flight cancellations? Good thing I had him flying in a day early.

Is his air arranged with the cruise line or on his own?  Is he flying tomorrow or today?  Does he have a new flight?

He'll want to call and tell him when he is arriving.  We've seen ships wait for passengers a little bit - depending on whether or not there is slack in the first sailing leg.

But this is why you will always see a big chorus of people here saying not to fly on the same day. Even the day before is risky since flights are already full and it's hard to get on to replacement flights very quickly.

The airline has been able to get him on another flight late tonight, so as long as the weather holds, he will make the cruise no problem. I guess my question was because so many flights are being cancelled into Florida, would that have an impact on the sailaway time at all, as I can't imagine he is the only person this is affecting.

• Like 1

OP said he is flying today. 

We are also sailing on Symphony tomorrow and currently stuck in Houston because of the weather delay. Our flight hasn’t been cancelled yet, just delayed so far. But that weather looks pretty bad

Once in 2016 they delayed my Oasis departure because airports had been closed.

April 7th Houston's airport closed for while and they did not extend guest boarding.  The ship left late due to local dockworkers not working with lightning present but they still closed the door and sealed the ship on time despite folks like me who couldn't get there in time because of the storms.

Saturday Jan 7, 2017.... shooting in FLL airport. FLL was totally shut down.

Long story short, we changed our flights and arrived at the Hilton FLL at about 10pm via MIA.

All the ships were in line coming out of the channel at that late time.

Sunday somewhat same... Harmony didn't leave until about 6pm. Heard about 500 people missed the ship.

Extreme circumstances with thousands of travelers affected and zero options to get to FLL or MIA as every flight, every seat was booked. However, it can happen in extreme circumstances such as the above that ships are delayed until much later than the expected sailaway time.

Edited by Hoopster95

They won't delay because of people's flights.  They may delay due to weather and safety.

We sat in Orlando for an extra day waiting for Hurricane Wilma to pass by...lost one day on our cruise but RCI compensated us.

• Like 1

Last year my DH and I cruised out of San Juan in March.  We were scheduled to fly down Friday for a Saturday departure but early in the week we saw a storm coming so ended up starting our vacation a day earlier, on Thursday.  We were told about 100 people missed the ship because of flight delays/cancellations.  

Years ago, I was booked on a cruise and unfortunately a nasty ice storm hit the eastern part of the United States pretty badly.  The ship departed 5 hours late because nearly 800 were late getting to the port.  Come to think of it, it may have been because it was a fully chartered ship (a country music cruise on the SS Norway).

Many years ago, 1990, probably the last time we flew in day of sailing, there was a significant delay due to fog in Atlanta.  This was in the days before cell phones.  We made our connections and boarded on time but our ship in Miami, a Carnival ship, and most others waited 2 hours!  Watched the last bus pull up directly to the ship and unload passengers and baggage directly onto the ship through an entry down below.  As soon as last passenger was on board last rope off and away we went.  Still left over 60 passengers short (in the days before mega ships).  Convinced us never to fly day if sailing again.

Update:

Boarded their flight,  then it was cancelled. They have been re-booked and cancelled 3 separate times so far. So back to the terminal to try and find something else. At this point, I'm not sure they will make the cruise. If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears. Thanks for listening.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The weather is crummy here.  Raining and some thunder/lightening.  Earlier, the Orlando Airport grounded all flights due to weather but the latest word on the news was that only flights to MIA and FLL were grounded.  The bad weather is moving out so although there will be lots of catch up, things should be back to normal here soon.

Southwest from Love Field to FLL is sold out completely today and tomorrow. That would have been doable if we had done it earlier today. I think everyone else had the same idea. Thanks for the suggestion!

4 hours ago, time4u2go said:

I've never heard of a cruise being delayed due to flight cancellations.

Somewhere around 2003-ish we were flying down to a cruise out of Port Canavaral and Atlanta was snowed in. The cruise left hours late as something like 25% of the cruisers had flight delays. 

29 minutes ago, ALaver said:

Update:

Boarded their flight,  then it was cancelled. They have been re-booked and cancelled 3 separate times so far. So back to the terminal to try and find something else. At this point, I'm not sure they will make the cruise. If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears. Thanks for listening.

It does look like the severe weather has passed, according to local news reports but possible wind advisories until 8pm local time.  You already are doing what you can. It's too late to drive, unless they wanted to get a one way rental and drive literally nonstop until they get to port.  Other than finding an outgoing flight tonight or in the morning not many suggestions come to mind. I'm sorry for that. There is a report an 8 year old girl has died because in the storm a tree fell on her home.  I know it is small comfort but at least your father is safe and it was probably unavoidable that all those flights absolutely had to be cancelled for safety.  I certainly do hope they are able to make it in time and I do agree they need to tell the cruise line what's going on.  It is possible they can delay departure a little.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ALaver said:

Hi,

My father is scheduled to sail on Symphony tomorrow. Severe weather has now cancelled his connecting flight from DFW to MIA. Is there any chance of Symphony being delayed tomorrow due to all the flight cancellations? Good thing I had him flying in a day early.

No reason for them to cancel. Delay yes. This front is pushing through quickly and weather tomorrow for flying looks good or even in a few hours. I just drove the length of the state with it hot on my heels. Jacksonville got hammered. The line started to catch me around  Canaveral. Then I got caught full on in Fort Pierce. Currently its reached the coast near Stuart and drapes back across  state below lake Okeechobee.  I'm in Palm Beach area and I'm thinking another hour til we get it and by 10PM it should be clear of the peninsula...

Edited by DeepC
  • Like 2