Spouse disliked TA first time- anyone with spouse who liked better later in life?

Petoonya

My sister and brother-in-law love TA cruises but even they have their limit. Several years ago they sailed from Sydney to Dubai. By Hong Kong they were done with the ship  so they checked into a hotel while the shipped was docked there. They wanted real food, a real shower and a change of scenery. They went on to finish their cruise after their mini vacation in Hong Kong. This cruise scuttled any plans they had for an around the world cruise. Right now 14 days is their limit on a TA.

We did 24 days on the QM2, then he would only do 17, then 14 and now it’s ten even though he prefers 7.  I’m lucky he will do 7.....my neighbor’s husband won’t cruise at all.  I’m not going to cruise without him....life is too short.

2 hours ago, Granny DI said:

My sister and brother-in-law love TA cruises but even they have their limit. Several years ago they sailed from Sydney to Dubai. By Hong Kong they were done with the ship  so they checked into a hotel while the shipped was docked there. They wanted real food, a real shower and a change of scenery. They went on to finish their cruise after their mini vacation in Hong Kong. This cruise scuttled any plans they had for an around the world cruise. Right now 14 days is their limit on a TA.

We did 24 days on the QM2, then he would only do 17, then 14 and now it’s ten even though he prefers 7.  I’m lucky he will do 7.....my neighbor’s husband won’t cruise at all.  I’m not going to cruise without him....life is too short.

You bring up one very interesting point, that is too much of a good thing can have negative effects.    Case in point  overly long  cruises.     

I compare going to a fine Michelin*** and ordering everything on the menu.    Yes it will be good, but overwhelming.   Ordering just a few courses would  be more enjoyable and they would not  get lost in the experience.

So too with cruises....   Take them as you would fine foods and wine, in moderation and savor them.   More is  really not better.

Each of us has a limit to what we can absorb.       For me I discovered 7 days was a waste, I scarcely unpacked when it was time to re pack. 

At 12 days I was able to relax and get into the ambiance of the trip.  14 days-even more  serene up to 21days.   

After that  the new became routine, the excitement I felt diminished day by day thereafter.     But it depends on where your going and who you are.     

My longest cruise  was a shade under 6 months with  only 10 ports...  it was on a smaller  ship  and I was younger, and we , well  were occupied with a lot of interesting things to do....... 20 days without a port    our entertainment was sleeping and a movie once a week. ......... some interesting shore excursions. though..Subic, Longopo, Diego Garcia, Midway. ,Guam    ( Id love to see O stop at Subic for a laugh)

10492101_1381255912192300_8212061976603547990_n.jpg

Edited by Hawaiidan

On 4/19/2019 at 3:10 PM, Granny DI said:

DH says 14 days is too long now but 11 days is manageable. DH has to be doing something 24/7. I on the other hand enjoy days without cooking, laundry, cleaning etc. 

Interesting..... Maybe he needs to include appreciating you and all you do for him during that 24/7 ?     Life  and marriage is  all about sharing and compromise...  it sounds  like your doing all the compromise.     That's not healthy.   

Time to be assertive  for your wants,he needs to respect your wants are every bit as important as his..its not a contest with a winner and looser .  It is a team effort each giving equally  to the other, is it not?

I hope you can open his eyes and mind.        Take care

Edited by Hawaiidan

19 hours ago, warburg said:

Hawaiidan, what a funny post, the longest laugh of the day! (I am responding to the one with the photo of the Navy Yacht.)

Mary

It was a fine ship..carried 11 battle stars.. Baker Isl, Iwo Jima, Symar,  Taffy 2, Leyte,  and a host of others.

a 2100 ton greyhound that  with her 60,000 hp engines could drive her 36 KTs  386 ft... of grey steel. and 265 hard core crew

On 4/20/2019 at 11:22 AM, RJB said:

Different strokes as they say.  I love the sea days and my BW not so much,  After our last T/A she changed her mind a little so we booked another one.  Can't wait even thou its some time away. 

RJB...What is a BW?  I thought of a few funny ones. 😉

6 hours ago, TrulyBlonde said:

RJB...What is a BW?  I thought of a few funny ones. 😉

Beautiful wife.  I also could think of other things to say but that is what i am thinking.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Petoonya said:

Also Beautiful woman. Wish my BM would call me that.

2 hours ago, Petoonya said:

Also Beautiful woman. Wish my BM would call me that.

I  wont touch that...... no way...................... this is a case where spelling is rather important.

8 hours ago, Hawaiidan said:

I  wont touch that...... no way...................... this is a case where spelling is rather important.

It is the thought that counts, not the spelling. 

On 4/21/2019 at 2:49 PM, Hawaiidan said:

You bring up one very interesting point, that is too much of a good thing can have negative effects.    Case in point  overly long  cruises.     

I compare going to a fine Michelin*** and ordering everything on the menu.    Yes it will be good, but overwhelming.   Ordering just a few courses would  be more enjoyable and they would not  get lost in the experience.

So too with cruises....   Take them as you would fine foods and wine, in moderation and savor them.   More is  really not better.

Each of us has a limit to what we can absorb.       For me I discovered 7 days was a waste, I scarcely unpacked when it was time to re pack. 

At 12 days I was able to relax and get into the ambiance of the trip.  14 days-even more  serene up to 21days.   

After that  the new became routine, the excitement I felt diminished day by day thereafter.     But it depends on where your going and who you are.     

My longest cruise  was a shade under 6 months with  only 10 ports...  it was on a smaller  ship  and I was younger, and we , well  were occupied with a lot of interesting things to do....... 20 days without a port    our entertainment was sleeping and a movie once a week. ......... some interesting shore excursions. though..Subic, Longopo, Diego Garcia, Midway. ,Guam    ( Id love to see O stop at Subic for a laugh)

10492101_1381255912192300_8212061976603547990_n.jpg

We agree pretty much on lengths. My longest was on Marina at 32 days. I found that about 6 or 7 days too much for me. I’ve done 26 before and that was fine. 

4 hours ago, ORV said:

We agree pretty much on lengths. My longest was on Marina at 32 days. I found that about 6 or 7 days too much for me. I’ve done 26 before and that was fine. 

Yea, ORV.....Did PPT to NYC   36 days   moving from Hawaii     Presently  booked for a 25 day MIA-Rome   has 13 sea days ........YES      Even better its line 2 days at sea..port'... port port port.. 2 days at sea  port 6 days sea.port then sea port every day and Ideal mix.     After the NAVY and being a Bluewater sailor I can savor the ocean... As I may have said before " if the ship just went out and sailed in circles for 14 days I'd be pleased. "!    There is a certain calm and serenity that settels in when one is removed  in total from the rat race and urban schedules.    That  In and  of it's self is something all  type A folks discover when forced to break their 24/7 addiction.     It is an addiction....  You can quit...    Bon vie  et Ciao  10.jpg.f5d3324824ebfe8089dbb2a1f464171a.jpg

On 4/25/2019 at 12:01 PM, Petoonya said:

Longest we've done is any cruise is 18 days and husband got antsy last 2 days. He misses the dogs! I figure we can do this 14 day one and 3-4 days in the Sorrento area at the end and be OK. Maybe.

Agree - Sorrento is my favorite place to stay post-cruise.  Doing the same thing in September.  BCN, 3 days, cruise 12 days, Sorrento 8 days.  Then all good things come to an end and it's time to go home, do the laundry, clean the house,  cook my meals..... BUT it is certainly great to be able to do both!