Enough Cirque du Soliel on Regal

Elevatorman

We had a great cruise April 7 to 14 on Regal Princess. The only real complaint is the daily Cirque du Soliel show on Muts in the afternoon by the pool. Sometimes twice a day. The music is horrific, the themes are creepy the costumes beyond weird. So depressing. You can’t just ignore it, it’s so loud. 

• Haha 1

I did not see any Cirque du Soliel when I sailed on Royal Princess.  But, when I sailed on Celebrity Eclipse, a Cirque du Soliel performance was the main showroom's entertainment for one evening.  My sentiments about what I saw agree with the OP's.

2 hours ago, Elevatorman said:

You can’t just ignore it, it’s so loud.

So it was so loud that you could still hear it when you moved over to the Retreat Pool area from the midship pool that the MUTS screen hovers over?

• Like 1

I think the volume on EVERYTHING that is shown on MUTS is way too high.  My husband needs hearing aids desperately and even he thinks it's almost unbearable..  We generally avoid that entire area except for the occasional movie under the stars.  PRINCESS, are you listening?  (Oh wait, you probably can't hear us over the volume of the MUTS screen!!) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, trvllin36 said:

I think the volume on EVERYTHING that is shown on MUTS is way too high.  My husband needs hearing aids desperately and even he thinks it's almost unbearable..  We generally avoid that entire area except for the occasional movie under the stars.  PRINCESS, are you listening?  (Oh wait, you probably can't hear us over the volume of the MUTS screen!!) 

Totally agree about the volume, sound quality sometimes sucks too. I walked out on some movies on our last cruise when I couldn't understand what they were saying. Volume too loud is often true about their production shows as well. 

Live music is usually at the Neptune pool. I've never seen it at the MUTS pool. They don't really have a place for live music at MUTS.

I agree sometimes they replay stuff too much on MUTS, but some people do enjoy Cirque du Soleil. I love them live or on screen....music, costumes, everything. Everyone has likes & dislikes. I hate sports on MUTS. But a little of everything for everyone is better than too much of the same thing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JEH said:

Bring back the ever popular  Tina Turner Concert for continuous  viewing on daytime MUTS .

This is hilarious - when the OP mentioned creepy, music horrific, costumes bad I originally thought of Tina Turner concert on MUTS!

I have been in front of the pool a million times reading and the moment MUTS comes on during the day, everyone picks up and leaves the pool area. You would think someone would notice.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

If Princess is listening, they don’t care.

The very loud volume of MUTS is not the only place on the ships. For my past several cruises the volume in the Princess Show room, the volume for bands in the Royal and Regal atrium and movies has increased many times. A couple of years ago I approached an assistant cruise director standing near a band in the Regal atrium and asked if the volume could be turned down. They screamed back “WHAT”.  When I finally got my request through the loud music they screamed back that the music wasn’t too loud.

I have put in complaints, about the loud music, on all of my past several cruises. Nothing happens. On my last cruise on the Pacific Princess over the Holidays I brought a sound meter with me. The production shows averaged 96dB and had peaks of over 110dB. I wear ear plugs at all of the amplified shows. I’m very tired of putting up with the Princess attitude toward this subject.

21 cruises on Princess has been a good run, but it is probably ending.

a year or so after "Frozen" came out - yes, we saw it on a Thanksgiving night the first night it was shown - granddaughters and all - anyway - we saw in the patter that it was gonna be on MUTS the next day at 10 am

cool, we'll walk over before it starts and grab a seat for a few minutes - SRO - couldn't even get close... and , yes...wait for it ... this was on a "PRINCESS" ship ...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steven_&_Daniel said:

Totally agree about the volume, sound quality sometimes sucks too. I walked out on some movies on our last cruise when I couldn't understand what they were saying. Volume too loud is often true about their production shows as well. 

Live music is usually at the Neptune pool. I've never seen it at the MUTS pool. They don't really have a place for live music at MUTS.

I agree sometimes they replay stuff too much on MUTS, but some people do enjoy Cirque du Soleil. I love them live or on screen....music, costumes, everything. Everyone has likes & dislikes. I hate sports on MUTS. But a little of everything for everyone is better than too much of the same thing.

The OP was on the Regal which has MUTS in the main pool area, the Fountain Pool. The Retreat Pool does not have MUTS. On the Regal they do have sets of live music at the main pool, the "stage" area is on deck17 under the MUTS screen. During that time they turn off MUTS.

Your statement is correct for the four larger Grand Class ships, Caribbean, Crown, Emerald and Ruby.

I forgot they were talking about Regal, my bad! There are some great improvements on the Royal class ships, but the Promenade & pool situations were NOT.

I would totally hate no live poolside music on a warm-weather cruise!

Edited by Steven_&_Daniel

The days of Union Music and/or Orectras is gone on Cruise Ships even at Dinner we used to have live Perfomers. Sometimes when we are able to get a great cupa tea they do have a foursome..Cunard and Holland have the best Teas a great Social event and No real ear drum breaking volumes, Eh What did ya say?...

I love the Cirque du Soleil shows on MUTS.  My only regret is that they don’t play it 24/7. The music is beautiful.   We go to Las Vegas just to see the shows. I was  irritated when the show had just ended and they played nothing but Princess advertisements for a long time, no movies no  Cirque, no music, on the Royal last week.  

What I hate is sports on MUTS.   Great that there is s little bit of everything.  LOL. 

Edited by 4cats4me

4 hours ago, 4cats4me said:

I love the Cirque du Soleil shows on MUTS....

So does me darling wife.  She was enthralled with it on our Royal cruise in November.  So much so that I purchased tickets to a liver performance for her birthday.

To each his own, but 7 days of Cirque with repeats is too much. It’s like yes the Sting concert was OK , isn’t everyone’s cup of tea, but show it once we can tolerate it, not every day. 

Edited by Elevatorman
Sp
  • Like 1

We find that there's no entertainment that Princess presents is done at a decent comfortable level.

MUTS, bands, show lounge, Piazza, it's all much to loud.

We've given up hope of them changing & now just bring earplugs to all events.

23 hours ago, PoohUnderstands said:

yes!!!!!!!!!!

Pooh

Thanks, Pooh.  I love the Tina concerts, too.  I have all of the CDs and DVDs.  

I must say say I noticed Cirque playing on MUTS in the daytime, on EMERALD's March Hawaii cruise.  Thankfully, not every day!

Oh MUTS..... see it as one walks past....  ( have never sat down and watched it )

On a cruise last year they had a small fire in the AV room.... no MUTS for  "quiet"  a few days.......

Who was it said.... Silence is golden...... .

Sometime it is nice to just hear the sound of the ocean and wind.... Like upper deck early morning walks watching the sunrise.......    before breakfast.... nice way to start the day.

Cheers Don

I remember the Tina Turner concerts being played on MUTS during the day from a few cruises ago.  I'm not a huge Tina Turner fan, but she sure had stage presence.  Part of me wants to say they were running Sting concerts too, but that seems like a distant memory.  Either way, Princess has to pay royalties and get permission to "rebroadcast" material on MUTS, so I'm not surprised that there is a lot of repetition in the day side material they show on MUTS.  It would cost a fortune to have access to a huge library of material of this nature, just to have playing in the background on the pool deck.

16 hours ago, getting older slowly said:

Oh MUTS..... see it as one walks past....  ( have never sat down and watched it )

On a cruise last year they had a small fire in the AV room.... no MUTS for  "quiet"  a few days.......

Who was it said.... Silence is golden...... .

Sometime it is nice to just hear the sound of the ocean and wind.... Like upper deck early morning walks watching the sunrise.......    before breakfast.... nice way to start the day.

Cheers Don

They should have their app available with MUTS audio broadcast & let people use headphones to turn up the volume as loud as they like.

No need for any blasting speakers. 🤞

On 4/19/2019 at 2:33 PM, Elevatorman said:

We had a great cruise April 7 to 14 on Regal Princess. The only real complaint is the daily Cirque du Soliel show on Muts in the afternoon by the pool. Sometimes twice a day. The music is horrific, the themes are creepy the costumes beyond weird. So depressing. You can’t just ignore it, it’s so loud. 

I couldn’t agree with you more.  I don’t know what they were thinking putting Cirque du Soleil shows on during the day.  So boring and the last thing most people want to see while hanging by the pool on a warm weather cruise.  A total waste of MUTS.  They should show concerts (and not the same old recycled stuff) or movies.  Even the trivia they show once in awhile is more interesting.

On 4/19/2019 at 7:12 PM, Coral said:

This is hilarious - when the OP mentioned creepy, music horrific, costumes bad I originally thought of Tina Turner concert on MUTS!

I have been in front of the pool a million times reading and the moment MUTS comes on during the day, everyone picks up and leaves the pool area. You would think someone would notice.

It's their solution to chair hogs.

Seriously, folks, if the volume is crazy high on the Lido, then find the CD and request it be toned down some.  Keep at them and recruit others to do the same.  Don't expect volume to be managed from Santa Clara.