St Petersburg Russia visa

JackieMag

We're going to be cruising in June on Marina and one of the ports is St. Petersburg.  I understand we will not need a visa if we stay with our tour group.  Does that mean you have to physically stay with them at all times or are you able to venture about and go to a market or get a meal on your own.  Thanks for any advice on visiting St. Petersburg. 

We used an independent 2 day tour which provided the visa. It was less expensive than cruise line tours.

We were together as a group but did visit the market at the church of the spilled blood and wandered around on our own for a short time.

• Like 3

There is more flexibility when you take an independent tour.  You cannot just go anywhere, but some in the group went shopping, some went into a church etc, all at the same time.  We met back on the bus a short time later.  

• Like 2

Our experience was much like that of the 2 posters immediately above.

Had a private tour for 6 people with considerably more flexibility and lower cost than ship’s tour. One evening we arranged to go back to town with the driver and had tea & cakes at the Singer Building (gorgeous) on the Nevsky Prospect. He drops us off and picked us up an hour later.

While these private tour operators include visas, one cannot just walk off the ship at will - you have to leave the ship with your group but may have some limited freedom while in town. To have complete freedom to wonder you need your own visa - a rather long and complex matter and IMO not worth it.

Edited by Paulchili
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

Our experience was much like that of the 2 posters immediately above.

Had a private tour for 6 people with considerably more flexibility and lower cost than ship’s tour. One evening we arranged to go back to town with the driver and had tea & cakes at the Singer Building (gorgeous) on the Nevsky Prospect. He drops us off and picked us up an hour later.

While these private tour operators include visas, one cannot just walk off the ship at will - you have to leave the ship with your group but may have some limited freedom while in town. To have complete freedom to wonder you need your own visa - a rather long and complex matter and IMO not worth it.

+1. My first visit to St. Petersburg was a land trip (with my sister) and that visa application was a huge project timewise and cost wise!

So glad I was able to visit with my husband (we did a private tour with one other couple while sailing on Marina in 2011) before he decided after the takeover on the Black Sea that we would not pay any further visits to any Putinland (which is why we sailed Norway on Azamara rather than Oceania a few years back.)

Edited by CintiPam
  • Like 1

We visited St. Petersburg with Renaissance in May 2001 and had our own visas.  We used a visa service because of the difficulty in getting an "invitation letter" -- we did have a private guide but she was truly private and couldn't give us one.  The cost was minimal at the time.  Probably wouldn't be so today.

We were able to go around on our own, with or without our guide ... we pretty much we stuck with her although the first morning the dock was changed at the last minute.  She went to the original one and didn't see my email telling her where the ship really was.  While we were waiting for her, a couple of crew members came out and offered us a ride to the Hermitage -- which we accepted.  Naturally, our guide arrived 10 minutes after we left.  We spent the day at the Hermitage, took a cab home, and spent the second day with her.

But I've been surprised in the years since then how many people have asked if they could wander off on their own without a visa.  I'm not suggesting that OP is in this category!  Back then it was very risky to do so.  Maybe today it wouldn't be as risky, but I wouldn't try either.  If the private groups (like Red October, etc.) allow you to go off shopping on your own, I wouldn't worry.

Mura

• Like 1

JackieMag,

What you can do is customize your tour itinerary if the others in your group are willing and if you are using one of the recommended companies, not Oceania per se. You did not indicate which style of tour you have arranged.

The local guides are wonderfully flexible.

Also note that within the given itinerary there is almost always time for shopping and lunch if you are doing a full day's tour. The last time I was there our SPB guide arranged lunch for us at a white tablecloth type of restaurant. 

As others have noted you do not have total freedom of movement without the Russian Federation visa. And, although St. Petersburg has seen many changes hailing a cab is still a challenge. And getting a cabbie who you can communicate is another issue entirely. Freedom of movement can a little bit of a misnomer in St. Petersburg!

• Like 1

A few years ago, we took a Gate 1 River Cruise tour from Moscow to St Petersburg.  It was a great trip, but, it was a real pain to get that visa and we were lucky living in San Francisco, we didn't have to mail our passports out.  But, still took them to the embassy and picked them up 2 weeks later.  I called Gate 1 during the process and said, if I had known what you a hassle it was I would not have gone.  I  was wrong it was worth it.  Getting that visa allowed us to be out on our own and separate from the tour, if we wanted to.  It was a great trip and worth the visa hassle  !

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, daveispar said:

Getting that visa allowed us to be out on our own and separate from the tour, if we wanted to.  It was a great trip and worth the visa hassle  !

It was worth it for you as you probably had some free time in Moscow and SPB (as well as places in between).

That is different for those that only visit SPB for a couple of days on a cruise, IMO.

Those who do not speak Russian or cannot read the Cyrillic alphabet might be lost on their own in SPB and the tourist infrastructure in SPB (taxis, public transportation, people widely speaking English, etc) is not up to par with Western Europe.

IMO, it's not worth the hassle for most people on a cruise to SPB - exceptions always apply.

Edited by Paulchili
  • Like 1

I totally agree with Paulchili,

I have been to Russia by both land and sea.

What many do not realize is the complications incurred by some categories of foreign visitors (aka United States citizens.) The visa application is complicated as everyone has noted, but certain employment or military records are enough to have the application denied. Two on our land trip were denied visas and had to cancel - at their expense of course. It's certainly not a given that everyone who wishes to enter with the Russian Federation visa can ultimately do so. The blanket travel visa with a local tour company in St. Petersburg is a wonderful alternative. I've never seen a refusal highlighted on all the years I have been a member of Cruise Critic.

• Like 1

We don't want to get a visa on our own and are planning on doing a tour that includes the visa.  I was just wondering if during the tour they take you to a market for example and then you can wander around a little while on your own and meet your group at a set time and location.  Thanks everyone for the suggestions. 

Just now, JackieMag said:

We don't want to get a visa on our own and are planning on doing a tour that includes the visa.  I was just wondering if during the tour they take you to a market for example and then you can wander around a little while on your own and meet your group at a set time and location.  Thanks everyone for the suggestions. 

we  did  a ships tour  not Oceania   but we had free time in the market near the Church on the Spilled Blood

also had booked private tour years later  to do dinner out  after the day tour 

we just had to pay for the driver to wait while we had dinner but we were covered under the group VISA

unfortunately we did not get to try it out we had to cancel the  cruise but I believe the others did do the evening out

just ask the tour guide ahead of time  when you book with them

• Like 2

2 hours ago, LHT28 said:

we  did  a ships tour  not Oceania   but we had free time in the market near the Church on the Spilled Blood

also had booked private tour years later  to do dinner out  after the day tour 

we just had to pay for the driver to wait while we had dinner but we were covered under the group VISA

unfortunately we did not get to try it out we had to cancel the  cruise but I believe the others did do the evening out

just ask the tour guide ahead of time  when you book with them

This was our experience in SPB on an Azamara cruise with a private tour (6 pax) that included the visa.

Edited by 1985rz1

On 4/20/2019 at 2:08 PM, Paulchili said:

IMO, it's not worth the hassle for most people on a cruise to SPB - exceptions always apply.

Totally agree with this.

On 4/20/2019 at 2:08 PM, Paulchili said:

...and the tourist infrastructure in SPB (taxis, public transportation, people widely speaking English, etc) is not up to par with Western Europe.

This part, however, couldn't be further from the truth (except maybe the English bit).

Even Google maps do a decent job offering public transit/taxi route options in SPB.

Yandex's travel suite, however (Yandex Taxi, Yandex Maps, Yandex Transport, Yandex Translate) fares a lot better and makes public transit/taxi hailing a breeze.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, napoxoguk said:

Yandex's travel suite, however (Yandex Taxi, Yandex Maps, Yandex Transport, Yandex Translate) fares a lot better and makes public transit/taxi hailing a breeze.

That may be true but will Yandex be there to talk to your taxi driver in Russian when you actually get in? Yandex may give you the maps but will Yandex read the street or subway signs for you that are in Cyrillic; will Yandex be there when you want to ask an older native in the street should you get turned around?

I agree that these modern apps are very helpful but perhaps a lot more so in Paris or Berlin than SPB.

That is not to say that this cannot be done but it is beyond the desire or abilities of the average and casual traveler IMO,

Edited by Paulchili
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

That may be true but will Yandex do THIS for you?

Actually, funny as it sounds, it will 🙂

Yandex taxi (just like Uber) eliminates the need to communicate with the driver. You have your pick-up point and you have your destination, the app shows how much you pay, the make, color, plate, and geolocation of your ride, and the name of your driver.

The metro signs are in English. Yandex Metro will calculate you route and show which metro car to board to minimize transfer time. As to the street signs, both Yandex and Google (Google Lens OR Google translate OCR) will actually translate them for you.

And yes, both Yandex and Google have a "dialogue translation" option in case you do run into an older native.

All you need is data connection.

What I'm saying is that the infrastructure is there, the systems in place are really quite efficient. One just has to take the initiative to actually use them.

🙂

Edited by napoxoguk
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, napoxoguk said:

Actually, funny as it sounds, it will 🙂

Yandex taxi (just like Uber) eliminates the need to communicate with the driver. You have your pick-up point and you have your destination, the app shows how much you pay, the make, color, plate, and geolocation of your ride, and the name of your driver.

The metro signs are in English. Yandex Metro will calculate you route and show which metro car to board to minimize transfer time. As to the street signs, both Yandex and Google (Google Lens OR Google translate OCR) will actually translate them for you.

And yes, both Yandex and Google have a "dialogue translation" option in case you do run into an older native.

All you need is data connection.

What I'm saying is that the infrastructure is there, the systems in place are really quite efficient. One just has to take the initiative to actually use them.

🙂

Excellent - enjoy your full Yandex SPB experience 😀 I learn something new every day.

I expect Yandex will tell you all about the locals' point of view of life in SPB and answer all your questions just as a good tour guide would :classic_biggrin:

Edited by Paulchili
  • Haha 1

Our Russian visa was purchased for a cruise on Renaissance in May 2001.  We got our own visa through a visa service, and as far as I could tell it cost less than any other option.  At the time, we'd have had to go to D.C. to find a consulate (very strange as I thought at the time) so this was our best option.  Even though we only had an overnight stay there -- bear in mind this was before Red October and these other groups came into being -- we thought it was worth it.

Because of the special circumstance of our private guide ($60/day!) going to the wrong port because of a last minute change, the fact that we had that visa allowed us to go out and about which otherwise we could NOT have done.

Maybe things are easier now but back then if you were stopped on the street by the "fuzz" and you didn't have proper documentation, you could have had a big problem.

On the second day we went around with our guide who by that time had caught up with us.

Coming back from the Hermitage on Day #1 (where we only spent 6 hours 😀) we had no trouble catching a cab.  Yes, he cheated us on the fare!  But we didn't really care.  By his standards what he charged us was a lot of money but by ours it was not.  The next day our guide hailed a cab for our return to the ship and negotiated a fare which he honored.  That was a lot less than what we'd paid the day before!

I wonder from the reports of people using these tour groups that provide a group visa and yet allow their members to do some wandering around on their own -- would they have a problem these days if stopped by the authorities?  Do they have anything in hand to show that they have a group visa?  On our tours in the Ukraine and Crimea in 2012 (which did provide group visas), I don't recall that we had anything that we could have produced in such a case.  Then again, none of us left our group ...

One of our group (we were 16 who pretty much did private tours in all ports arranged by one of us) was suffering from Alzheimers.  If she had wandered off and been stopped, that could have been a very serious problem!  But, of course, all of us kept an eye out for her.

Mura

• Like 2

One of the ship's excursions I'm thinking about is the Metro Ride and Shopping. From the description, it looks like you would ride the metro as a group to Nevsky Prospect, then after a brief orientation, will have around 3 hours of free time there before meeting back up with the group to return to the ship. Has anyone done this one before? Since it sounds like most of that time is on your own, would the blanket visa still apply? 

• Like 1

On 4/21/2019 at 7:41 PM, Paulchili said:

😀

I expect Yandex will tell you all about the locals' point of view of life in SPB and answer all your questions just as a good tour guide would :classic_biggrin:

Well, no, but it will show me the way to the next whisky bar - and that's where most interesting conversations ensue anyway.

Seriously, though, I don't think sarcasm is really called for - it kind of goes without saying that cruise touring experience is that of a tourist bubble and checking items off the bucket list. Nothing wrong with that.

For some cruisers it's getting a taste of the country to see if it warrants an extended land trip at a later date, but that's more of an exception rather than the norm. 

People that really want to ask questions, learn about locals' POV, and come to their own conclusions would probably go DIY (in which case apps like Google and Yandex will likely make their lives a whole lot easier).

Alternatively, they could go with an established cultural exchange program, like the one run by CCISF (who, incidentally, are looking for prospective citizen diplomats for their September trip: https://ccisf.org/be-part-of-the-solution ).

Again , no rights or wrongs here.

Peace!

Edited by napoxoguk
No need for a peace sign :-)
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, napoxoguk said:

Well, no, but it will show me the way to the next whisky bar - and that's where most interesting conversations ensue anyway.

More like a vodka bar; and then what? What Russian drunk can have an “interesting conversation” with you in English in that bar?

I get your point about exploring places on your own, getting to meet locals and all that. My point is that this is all good in Ireland and most of Europe but SPB is different for all the reasons we discussed.

FWIW, I speak enough Russian that I have read the entire War & Peace in Russian and despite that on my 4 visits to SPB we took a land trip and 3 cruises - all with private guides. We definitely made the most of the 3 days we spent there with each cruise  - a much more efficient use of the limited time than I could have managed on my own despite my Russian skills and familiarity with SPB.

Let’s agree to disagree about doing SPB on one’s own when one is at least not conversant in Russian.

• Like 1

PS I am not suggesting that you couldn’t or shouldn’t do it.

I am saying that it’s not the best way to visit SPB for the average tourist who is in SPB for 2 or 3 days.

Edited by Paulchili
  • Like 1

Good Morning

https://dancing-bear-tours.com

We visited St.Petersburg on board Marina some years ado We used Dancing Bear tours for two days. Julia....our guide spok brilliant English. We were a small party of 6 and we visited all the Palaces and Museums and we had a ride on the river.

I can really reccomend them.  They sorted out the visa for us and met us after we had cleared customs.

Have a great trip

Josie

• Like 2