O Life air fare

dockgirl

12 minutes ago, dockgirl said:

First time booking O Life Air,  does Oceania try and book direct flights for passengers when they are available from departing airport. 

Thanks you, Dockgirl

It would be nice...  However, most times they will go with a route that is cheapest for them.  If you pay extra to pick your flights then yes  you can get maybe not direct but better schedule and routing.     You do not have to accept either and take the air credit , which  in many cases is a better deal. 

Before you accept a O price/ route,  do some home work   check prices, from consolidators,  use FF miles  even buy ff miles ( Hey for$2800  you can buy enough FF miles to score a international rt business class ticket... that cost $6-9000 !!!   Know your options

D0rfVrcX4AIBto9.jpg

• Like 1

On 4/19/2019 at 3:59 PM, dockgirl said:

First time booking O Life Air,  does Oceania try and book direct flights for passengers when they are available from departing airport. 

Thanks you, Dockgirl

Hi dockgirl!!! They usually have specific gateways - and as Hawaiidan mentioned they usually do what is cheapest for them -- which does not mean a direct flight for you. Now, we usually take their air - but we like to stay in the cities before and/or after so we pay the "air deviation" fee of $175PP and you are offered flights (you can accept/reject) and we did get a direct flight going, but received a connection on the return which had good times. 

You can book on your own air, but remember if you are taking O's travel insurance for the trip (which is very expensive, as they base it on age; Celebrity bases it on ticket price - which is MUCH less expensive) your air will not be covered by their insurance.  When we take Oceania, we book our travel insurance separately.

Good luck and happy travels....😁

• Like 1

O air = “red eyes” and least expensive routes. It can be a good deal but, as Hawaiidan stated, best to do your homework first.

Also, you may use O air for one segment and make your own arrangements (and get the air credit) for the other segment. This way you may fly in before your cruise begins, or ends, without having to pay the air deviation waiver fee.

32 minutes ago, PaulMCO said:

Even with an air deviation you may have to pay extra for direct flight.  Last time we used O air they wanted $500 extra for an MIA to Rio flight.  Instead they put on on Delta -- via ATL.

PaulMCO - You are correct.  Recently when we booked they told us that if they don't have a deal/agreement or can't get the dates - it could be higher - but we were fine and it was $175PP, as we are staying on both ends of the trip.

13 minutes ago, Classiccruiser777 said:

Also, you may use O air for one segment and make your own arrangements (and get the air credit) for the other segment. This way you may fly in before your cruise begins, or ends, without having to pay the air deviation waiver fee.

Classiccruiser777 - I had not heard what you stated above and I am a bit confused. Will O let you book only one segment and still give you a credit for the departure/return? So let's say -- if you you want to stay in Lisbon at the start- you book your own air (they give you a one way credit) and then take their air for the return from Rome? Interesting, if I am interpreting you correctly...😁 Thank you...

There is a major piece of the puzzle being left out. When you book is most important. Oceania Air allows one to make their reservations at 270 days out. With their bulk rate deals they only get a limited number of direct flights with the contracted carriers. Therefore, if you go to O Air around 270 days out then the available direct flights are more plentiful than for those waiting until 120 days or so who then gets whatever is left. 

One must also also remember that time of year matters. Many US carriers , for example, shut down certain nonstops to some places like Athens in mid October leaving the AA PHL- ATH as the only nonstop from the US. So if you have a late season cruise, nonstops are highly limited! You surely had better book early!

51 minutes ago, neilrr said:

Classiccruiser777 - I had not heard what you stated above and I am a bit confused. Will O let you book only one segment and still give you a credit for the departure/return? So let's say -- if you you want to stay in Lisbon at the start- you book your own air (they give you a one way credit) and then take their air for the return from Rome? Interesting, if I am interpreting you correctly...

That’s correct. This is what we are doing on our upcoming Insignia cruise. We’re flying to England three days before our cruise from Southampton using our own flight arrangements then using O air from Miami to return to Seattle. Our one way fare that we booked independently from Seattle was just under $300 PP which includes our luggage fees and is a non-stop direct flight. O gave us a $250 PP air credit for that segment.

1 hour ago, Classiccruiser777 said:

That’s correct. This is what we are doing on our upcoming Insignia cruise. We’re flying to England three days before our cruise from Southampton using our own flight arrangements then using O air from Miami to return to Seattle. Our one way fare that we booked independently from Seattle was just under $300 PP which includes our luggage fees and is a non-stop direct flight. O gave us a $250 PP air credit for that segment.

Classiccruiser777 -  Your trip also sounded like a TA, so the US flights are less expensive and generally London's airports are too.  It is very interesting. I will have to keep your suggestion in mind for the future. My issue is -- We have to travel during high times due to work and so the air is generally more valuable than the credit.  It also depends on where you are flying to, as many of the European cities are high i.e. Rome, Athens, etc... As was pointed out by Pinotlover - you must book early, because between O's agreements and the dwindling number of flights - best to book sooner than later. Thank you for your suggestion.😊    

You asked about O'Life air..You should know Oceania O'Life and their air are completely different one has nothing to do with the other..People tend to get confused and think you have to take both or none..not true..

Jancruz1

On 4/19/2019 at 4:17 PM, Hawaiidan said:

It would be nice...  However, most times they will go with a route that is cheapest for them.  If you pay extra to pick your flights then yes  you can get maybe not direct but better schedule and routing.     You do not have to accept either and take the air credit , which  in many cases is a better deal. 

Before you accept a O price/ route,  do some home work   check prices, from consolidators,  use FF miles  even buy ff miles ( Hey for$2800  you can buy enough FF miles to score a international rt business class ticket... that cost $6-9000 !!!   Know your options

D0rfVrcX4AIBto9.jpg

R/T first for $2800?  Where are you going, just across the border for Texas or something?

Just checked ATL/BCN one way:  320000 mi. times $0.035 came to over $11,000.

3 minutes ago, GeorgesGal said:

R/T first for $2800?  Where are you going, just across the border for Texas or something?

That's likely due to Delta's dynamic pricing for awards (and their elimination of any published award charts).  Supply and demand now determining redemption rates.

Yes, you might find some sweet spots for award redemption, but for high demand cities/date - forget it.  At least with DL and other USA carriers.

All of which makes transferable points, such as Amex, Chase, Citi and Marriott, so valuable - you can use them for awards issued by non-USA carriers.  Most of which still have award charts where you can get good values.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, GeorgesGal said:

Thats  currently with UAL    which sells miles at .02 per mile      I too was shocked at the Delta demand  miles   Your right it is 320,000 miles for a 1 way.....  WOW      we have only till October 30  to book under the old system  where I get  one way euro business for 70,000.     I am frankly shocked   .... more than shocked.... horrified

Delta has upped the anti and spelled doom for using FF miles      Its obscene to  to charge 640,000 miles for 1 rt    for 2 that would be 1,280,000  miles    I did find some dates for 109,000 miles  ( LA to Rome)       WOW....    Premium economy which is a joke is now selling for $2400 to $5400 one way !!!!   Regular business at $9000+.........  gasp !  

• 2 weeks later...

We chose to pay $550 for flts we wanted.  We got ATL-SFO non-stop the day before cruising (we NEVER fly day of departure).  We also wanted to delay our return from PPT to ATL for 5 days as we were flying ourselves to Bora Bora post cruise.  The credit they offered to book our own air throughout was way too low, so we bit the bullet.

On 4/22/2019 at 11:23 AM, Jancruz said:

You asked about O'Life air..You should know Oceania O'Life and their air are completely different one has nothing to do with the other..People tend to get confused and think you have to take both or none..not true..

Jancruz1

THIS IS VERY TRUE .......   In reading the fare schedules    are a  total of 4-5 possibiloites.

1.  Fare pp with Air rt and Olife  round trip

2 Fare pp with 1 way air ( you choose which way) and O life.

3 Fare  without any air  BUT with O life

4. Fare....no nothing but a cabin no air no o life   This is the fare that is touted in ads

insurance:  If you buy your air with a credit card direct from the airline, not from O, it will be insured for cancellation and travel expenses.   

If you have excellent medical insurance like Kaiser it will be good anywhere in the world no need to get extra..

If you charge you cruise with your credit card you can get up to $20,000 cancel insurance bags  hotels

I travel this way and have for decades and not had to purchase extra insurance.....  check you credit card and health insurance carrier..... You may discover your covered

Point of clarification regarding flight terminology.  Believe many people here are equating  Direct with non-stop and that could not be further from the truth.  Non-stop means no stops between your initial airport and your destination.  Direct means same flight number for entire trip with at least one and possibly more stops plus the possibility of a change of planes.

While many non-frequent flyers use the term direct as synonymous with non-stop, if you ask an airline person for a direct flight, you might get non-stop by luck or a plane that stops someplace before your final destination and possibly have to leave the plane for a different aircraft and airport other than your final destination.

Dan, in your possible ways to book you missed a couple of possibilities.

5 Fare with Round trip air no O life

6  Fare with one way air no O life

Edited by rallydave

Dave;

I’m still trying to get people to differentiate between their Travel Agent and the Agency the Agent works for! Too many want to interchange the two as the same!

Words have meaning and meanings have words! Thanks for the tutorial!

2 hours ago, rallydave said:

Direct means same flight number for entire trip with at least one and possibly more stops plus the possibility of a change of planes.

To me a direct flight may have a stop (or 2) but no change of plane. If there is a change of planes to me that is a connecting flight (a flight with a connection).

Otherwise every single flight would be direct as they all start from your origin and take you to your final destination even if it is with 5 stops and 5 changes of plane 🙂

3 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

To me a direct flight may have a stop (or 2) but no change of plane. If there is a change of planes to me that is a connecting flight (a flight with a connection).

Otherwise every single flight would be direct as they all start from your origin and take you to your final destination even if it is with 5 stops and 5 changes of plane 🙂

OK Paul, will explain the change of planes.  As I said, the flights have to have the same flight number.  The situation with a change of planes I encountered was a flight from the middle of the US stopping on the east coast before continuing to Europe.  This was in the days prior to two engine planes flying the Atlantic.  They had to change planes in order to fly the Atlantic as we the fist flight was on a 737 without the capability to fly to Europe.  This was a scheduled change of equipment and a direct flight in that I had a single ticket on flight ABC and both flights had the same flight number on two different aircraft.

Thus a Direct flight with a change of planes and a single flight number and scheduled in this manner.  Can also have equipment changes that are not planned due to a mechanical but that is unplanned.  The key to a direct flight is the same flight number with multiple stops from your embarking airport thru to your destination.   Have been on Southwest but, not recently with multiple stops before disembarking that were direct flights with a single flight number.  Thus the single flight number is the key to "Direct Flights" as compared to non-stops.

Direct and Non stop.....     In today's new pricing, based on the  better the time slot, the shorter the total travel time, start to finish and non stop...... are going to be vastly more expensive.     Getting a  NON stop  is very very expensive, many times 200%+ more.  A ticket LA to Miami ranged the same day from $560 to $2800.

Getting a Nonstop on a FF flyer award is , today ,7085-2.jpg.44fef67a6a4d4d771f876d9a5b5786db.jpgbecoming an urban myth almost unobtainable to mere mortals.   The cruise line is not going to spend big buck anymore than whats necessary.

I ( unfortunately) flew a direct one stop flight last Fall on AA. That flight was PHL-CLT-BNA. We changed planes in CLT. The plane we were on was emptied and then went to DFW. We reboarded a different plane onto BNA. One flight number direct. 

7 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

I ( unfortunately) flew a direct one stop flight last Fall on AA. That flight was PHL-CLT-BNA. We changed planes in CLT. The plane we were on was emptied and then went to DFW. We reboarded a different plane onto BNA. One flight number direct. 

Thanks pinotlover for that recent example of what I have been saying all along.  Just trying to help people use the correct terminology especially when talking to airline personal or they may be subject to a big surprise!!