Victory Cruise Lines

califsealion

If there is anyone who has been on the AQSC and will be trying their newly acquired Victory Cruise Lines this year, I'd love to read some reviews during or after cruises.  My mom and I have been talking about what we might want to do in 2020 and these trips do sound interesting.

On 4/25/2019 at 5:35 AM, fudgbug said:

We were looking for something in late August 2019 and booked French Canada & Great Lakes last night.  Good price for all inclusive.

Please come back and let us know how you liked it!  We won’t be booking anything for next year until later in the fall, so any reviews will be appreciated.  I watched a webinar last week and the trips sound great. 

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
1 hour ago, ttalbcr said:

We booked the Great Lakes Grand Discovery, Toronto to Chicago, Aug. 11, 2019.

Do not see a forum for Victory cruise line.

Nice.  We just booked the Montreal to Boston cruise at the end of October.  They seemed pretty integrated with American Queen.  They were able to access all of my account info from my August Mississippi cruise booking.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Live from Victory II just got back from Quebec City excursion. First time on this ship, multiple AQSC sailings. Hopefully things will get better here. Service is not what we were expecting, Slow and Surly is the way I’d describe it. Dining room has been half full last 2 nights and the service has been terribly slow, 1st night didn’t make it to the entertainment until the last song of the night. 2nd evening slightly better made it by about 1/2 through the performance. Ask for a glass of wine or a refill of water and the looks you get aren’t “Glad to Help” kind of looks. Expected and Paid for better, not at all what we have experienced on the American Queen and at twice the price.

The boat is comfortable and rooms are small but well laid out with plenty of storage. Food has been good. Complimentary Drink selection is pretty broad for those interested in alcoholic drinks. So far the excursion in Montreal and Quebec City where great.

I’m looking forward to improved service and a good time. Will report back as things progress

Willift

LIVE FROM VICTORY2

Sunday in Quebec City and I need to say the the Dining Room Service has improved or at least I found a better group of staff members. I changed the area in the Dining Room that we ate in and I was much more satisfied with the service. We had the Duck Confit and it was delicious.

Our tour of Quebec City, The Plaines of Abraham and Montmorency  Falls was very well scheduled and informative. Back to the boat for lunch that had a nice buffet upstairs in the Terrace Grill. Staff was available and enthusiastic about providing service. 

Anybody going to Montreal, if you’ve got the time get tickets to AURA at Notre Dame Basilica. It’s a separate Lightshow type thing that isn’t included in the  tour Victory does. We thought it was worth the 24 tix price

• 2 weeks later...

How were the included shore excursions?  Were they walking tours or bus tours?  What was the pace like?  In considering a trip with them, I need to consider whether my elderly mother would be able to keep up with a tour.  We like the hop-on-hop-off thing AQSC offers because she can go at her own pace, or even stay on the bus and listen to the guide the whole loop.

We have booked for 2020 and my reading of the brochure indicates that shore excursions are no longer included.  I guess that is why the fares are so much lower for next year.  You might want to verify with the cruise line.

The excursions varied from port to port, none of them were similar to the HOHO experience. They typically started around 8:30AM, left the boat and didn't return until 12-1PM. We'd get off occasionally and there was walking involved. I'd say there was a lot of walking on The First Nations, Quebec City & Montmerency Falls, Kingston/Ft Henry and Niagara Falls excursions. Light to no walking on Montreal, and Toronto. On this cruise there were not any "optional" excursions, it was one in each port and that was the only excursion choice.

There were a lot of folks with canes and moving slow and the Victory Crew was very accommodating to the needs of their clients. The routine was traditionally a 4hr excursion in the morning and free time or boat leaves the port after 1PM. We enjoyed the excursions but overall we like the HOHO experience better.

While on board the American Queen had staff looking at the excursion and calculating options so I suspect it will be a fluid changing situation over the next year. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/19/2019 at 8:29 PM, califsealion said:

If there is anyone who has been on the AQSC and will be trying their newly acquired Victory Cruise Lines this year, I'd love to read some reviews during or after cruises.  My mom and I have been talking about what we might want to do in 2020 and these trips do sound interesting.

We'll be trying Victory at the end of this month and I will post.

• Thanks 1

On 8/2/2019 at 1:57 PM, fudgbug said:

We'll be trying Victory at the end of this month and I will post.

We are doing the August 29th Toronto to Chicago cruise on the Victory I.  Will post when we return.

Carolyn & Dick

Sacramento, CA 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Arrived back 9/4/2019 from a Victory II cruise from Detroit to Montreal. 

On a positive note the mostly Philippine restaurant and bar staff was as good as the service that we've received on Regent, Seabourn and Silversea.  The food was nicely presented, different choices each day, and of good quality thanks to Chef Michael.  Chicken was a standard choice, vegan and gluten free items were available.

The entertainment each night was with the same three performers - Austin Ray, cruise director on keyboard and vocals, Jonathan Benton on drums and Jackson Price on guitar and vocals.  Each performer was very good and quite personable.  Each night had a different musical theme - Country, Rock & Roll, etc.  During cocktail hour from 6 - 7 one of the performers would provide background music.  The canapes served during cocktail hour were varied and quite tasty.

Our cabin was 212 a Category C.  The bed was comfortable.  There was a TV mounted on the wall.  We were happy with the TV offerings.  The cabin had a desk, mirror and one chair that was a negative as for two people you really need two chairs.  We travel light and for us there was more than enough storage space.

If you are a large person, you might have a problem with the curtained shower.  There is a step up into the curved, raised shower that for the most part kept water off of the floor.  Shampoo, Conditioner, Body Wash, and Body Lotion was quite nice.

Shore excursions though short were either very good or meh!  In Cleveland, the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame is not to be missed and we could have spent more time there.

The ship is small, a bit tired,  but nicely maintained.

For the right itinerary, we would go with Victory Cruise lines again.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fudgbug said:

Arrived back 9/4/2019 from a Victory II cruise from Detroit to Montreal. 

On a positive note the mostly Philippine restaurant and bar staff was as good as the service that we've received on Regent, Seabourn and Silversea.  The food was nicely presented, different choices each day, and of good quality thanks to Chef Michael.  Chicken was a standard choice, vegan and gluten free items were available.

The entertainment each night was with the same three performers - Austin Ray, cruise director on keyboard and vocals, Jonathan Benton on drums and Jackson Price on guitar and vocals.  Each performer was very good and quite personable.  Each night had a different musical theme - Country, Rock & Roll, etc.  During cocktail hour from 6 - 7 one of the performers would provide background music.  The canapes served during cocktail hour were varied and quite tasty.

Our cabin was 212 a Category C.  The bed was comfortable.  There was a TV mounted on the wall.  We were happy with the TV offerings.  The cabin had a desk, mirror and one chair that was a negative as for two people you really need two chairs.  We travel light and for us there was more than enough storage space.

If you are a large person, you might have a problem with the curtained shower.  There is a step up into the curved, raised shower that for the most part kept water off of the floor.  Shampoo, Conditioner, Body Wash, and Body Lotion was quite nice.

Shore excursions though short were either very good or meh!  In Cleveland, the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame is not to be missed and we could have spent more time there.

The ship is small, a bit tired,  but nicely maintained.

For the right itinerary, we would go with Victory Cruise lines again.

Great rundown, thanks.  We will be boarding Victory II in a few weeks for the Montreal to Boston itinerary.  

5 hours ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

Great rundown, thanks.  We will be boarding Victory II in a few weeks for the Montreal to Boston itinerary.  

I don't know how I could have possibly not say something about the internet!  Internet on Victory II was either abysmal or non existent.  There were enough complaints so hopefully that problem has been fixed, but be prepared.  Passenger complement was 50 and above with a lot of fun loving, active retirees.

• Like 1

On 9/13/2019 at 7:40 AM, fudgbug said:

I think my main concern would be the pace of the tours.  My mom does not move very fast.  Did they allow the slower people to keep up?  Or do slow paced tours?

I really appreciated your review - thanks!  It was very helpful. 

4 hours ago, califsealion said:

I think my main concern would be the pace of the tours.  My mom does not move very fast.  Did they allow the slower people to keep up?  Or do slow paced tours?

I really appreciated your review - thanks!  It was very helpful. 

There were quite a few people who had canes or walkers.  There was a morning tour, an afternoon tour and in some cases, a shuttle.  

On board, I'd talk to the Shore Excursion person.  In our case, her name was Carol Ann Ellis who was very caring and helpful.  Enjoy!

• Thanks 1