Airport / Transfers to Mahattan Hotels

saltwaterfan

Cruise will depart from Pier 88 on Sept 1, 2019.  Will arrive the day before and have hotel reserved in

37 St area.  We have to decide what airport to fly into.  Had planned on LGA but understand that there

will be runway renovations during this time.  Any thoughts on JFK or Newark?  We will probably use

a car service from airport to hotel and a taxi or other service to the port.  Any suggestions on services?  Trains and buses would not be an

option.  First time in NY.

I believe you can still fly into LGA; which is the closest airport to downtown Manhattan;  and there are several car services that will transport you into the city.  If you fly into EWR or JFK; whatever car service you choose will charge for additional tolls such as bridges and tunnels.  I do not believe there are any additional fees to travel from LGA to Manhattan..  There will be several other people who live in NY that may be able to give you better advice.  I have flown into all three airports; and LGA is my personal preference.  

Honestly, in my opinion, if you are staying around 37th street you can just take the train from Newark into NY Penn station and either walk or grab a taxi the couple blocks to your hotel. (Same from JFK, but I'm more familiar doing it from EWR). But, none of the 3 airports are overly hard to get into midtown from, I would just pick the one with the flight schedule that works best for you. 

On 4/20/2019 at 11:51 AM, AF-1 said:

I do not believe there are any additional fees to travel from LGA to Manhattan.

There is a toll if the driver takes the Midtown Tunnel, which is the quickest way to get to 37th Street from LGA (which is a zoo at the present time; I much prefer EWR).

Edited by Langoustine

The runway construction is at JFK.  This might cause significant delays in flight arrivals/departures

LGA has roadway construction. This might cause significant delays in road travel but won't affect flights at all.

Between the two, I'd take roadway construction every time

OP stated trains and/or buses/shuttle transfers are NOT an option for them, simplicity is (and a decent mix of cost, value & ease of getting to their lodging)  

End of August/beginning of Sept. is annual US Tennis Open not far from LGA next to CitiField; and, although we lived across its Runway - still much rather fly in/out of JFK, an extra 20 to (sometimes) 40+ minutes away.  

The LGA long-term construction AND roadway work are ongoing but not as bad as 2 years ago .. another 1 to 2+ years to go, fingers crossed (but, I still dislike its short runways for aviation safety reasons & limitations to short haul & narrow-body/regional jets)  

I recommend & vote for JFK, long runways even if two are out (unless ILS are required due to inclement weather - excluding VFR as that will hit it on landings & takeoffs; and, LGA & even EWR will likely get impacted just as much.)  Flat-rate yellow taxis are outside all JFK terminals, basically no shuttle transfer or long walks for ground transportaton - sit back, enjoy the longer ride into ... even if the taxi is using the tolled tunnel into mid-town, it will be for a faster ride  (just went up to $6.12 for the EZ-Pass discounted toll rates for taxis ... Car Service/FHV will & are known to charge $9.50 now for the same crossing.)    

Even with the new congestion surcharge ($2.50/$2.75 per trip) and rush hour surcharge, added together will STILL be cheaper than coming from EWR. 

mking8288, so you think a taxi which has flat rate from JFK will be cheaper than taxi from EWR into the city?

For me flying into EWR or LGA is a lot cheaper by almost $70 per person than flying into JFK

Edited by AF-1

3 hours ago, AF-1 said:

mking8288, so you think a taxi which has flat rate from JFK will be cheaper than taxi from EWR into the city?

For me flying into EWR or LGA is a lot cheaper by almost $70 per person than flying into JFK

Taxis or car services from EWR will always be more expensive than those from JFK or LGA because of the high tolls that have to be paid when coming from EWR. Taxi or car service costs to Manhattan will be cheapest from LGA, with JFK in the middle and EWR the most expensive. However if flying into JFK costs $70 pp more than flying into EWR or LGA then even the higher taxi or car service fare from EWR will still yield a lower total cost of airfare plus ground transportation than would flying into JFK.  Even considering the inconvenience associated with the LGA construction the fact that it will cost you the least in total air and ground fares means you shouldn't rule it out.

Edited by njhorseman

njhorseman,  thanks for the feedback;  I have a ways before I will book my flight for next year; as of now I will most likely fly into LGA, take car service to hotel (hilton times square); then lyft to the port or maybe just to change things up; I may take taxi to wallstreet ferry; and take ferry to red hook to board the ship.

Fly into JFK. You can take Air Train into Penn Station. Very short cab ride or you probably could walk it depending on your luggage 

Or you can take NJT into NY Penn if you fly into EWR

Edited by Got2Cruise

Got2Cruise.  So you say if I fly to JFK I can catch the train right at airport into Penn station?  Or if I fly to EWR, I hop on air train to Newark then into the city?

Edited by AF-1

1 hour ago, AF-1 said:

Got2Cruise.  So you say if I fly to JFK I can catch the train right at airport into Penn station?  Or if I fly to EWR, I hop on air train to Newark then into the city?

No, if you fly into JFK you can take the AirTrain from the airport to Jamaica and then take the Long Island Railroad to NY Penn Station. Alternatively you can take the NY City subway E train from Jamaica to Penn Station instead of taking the LIRR . It would be cheaper, but slower,  and taking luggage on the subways isn't easy or convenient.

If you fly into EWR you an take the AirTrain from the airport to the Newark International Airport Station of Amtrak/NJ Transit and from there take NJ Transit or Amtrak to NY Penn station. (Taking NJ Transit will be much cheaper than taking Amtrak.)