Trains out of Seward to Anchorage

CRZAHOLIC

I am so confused.  How many different companies have trains that go from Seward to Anchorage?   Do they only go in the evening departures?  Do you have to get the Goldstar to sit in the Dome Car?

If anyone has answers to any or all of these questions, I would greatly appreciate it.  Also,  if anyone thinks that the bus is better, they also can chime in.

Thanks!

The regularly scheduled train from Seward to Anc has one departure;  6pm - 10:15pm, the Coastal Classic.

The only other train option is the cruise-contracted departure  which leaves around 7am.   It stops at the airport before continuing to the downtown depot.

https://www.alaskarailroad.com/

I've driven the route at least a dozen times so I have no first hand experience with the train or bus.  

The train tracks parallel the hwy for most of the way, HOWEVER, just past Portage the train veers inland giving fantastic glacier views.  Go to youtube and you'll find plenty of video of the trip ......

We have done the (RCI) cruiseline train transfer option that leaves from right next to where our ship docked in Seward. It's a 126 mile guided tour that leaves at approx 7:30am and arrives right to ANC at 11:30am. This can only be booked through the cruiseline directly and you must have a flight leaving no earlier than 2:30pm if departing cruise end day.

We've used a bus service when we've had an earlier flight   https://alaskacruisetransfer.com/  .

2 hours ago, mapleleaves said:

The regularly scheduled train from Seward to Anc has one departure;  6pm - 10:15pm, the Coastal Classic.

The only other train option is the cruise-contracted departure  which leaves around 7am.   It stops at the airport before continuing to the downtown depot.

https://www.alaskarailroad.com/

I've driven the route at least a dozen times so I have no first hand experience with the train or bus.  

The train tracks parallel the hwy for most of the way, HOWEVER, just past Portage the train veers inland giving fantastic glacier views.  Go to youtube and you'll find plenty of video of the trip ......

Interesting about the cruiseline train transfer going on to the downtown depot when it leaves ANC. I assumed that the train just headed back to Seward as there were lot's of cruiser's waiting to take this train to the cruise ship we saw as we got off from Seward at ANC.

Actually    this is the most scenic segment of the Alaska RR.   Between  Portage and Seward, it does,  not have common views with the Seward Highway.   And is superior compared to the highway.    I only  have  gone in the Adventure Class,   Just fine for me. :)    I have taken the train multiple times,   but also have taken buses and  driven multiple times as well.    Each has it's own benefits.    

As mentioned there is only one scheduled train per day.   And only one company operating this.  Alaska RR.   

Gold Star - Adventure Class

- general details fares shoulder season (May & September)

Alaska RR One-Way Fares Anchorage to Seward -

$98.00 Adventure Class (Coach)

$194.00 Gold Star (First Class dome car)

- fares high season (June July August)

$110 Adventure Class

$218 Gold Star

Gold Star includes meal service and beverage

Adventure Class there is a ala carte café car

My husband and I took the train, Adventure Class, from Anchorage to Seward, spent the night and returned to Anchorage the next evening. Not sure when you are going, but we were in mid September (that daily train route ended two days later) and although very scenic heading down to Seward in the morning, coming back it got dark around 7:30 so not much to see.