Never sailed to Japan. Advice please

Briggy1

Hello fellow cruisers. I am looking for advice for a first time Japan cruise. Any experienced Japan cruisers? I’m interested in cruising to Japan for 7-10 days the beginning of June 2020 before it gets hot. I’m based in Chicago area. I’ve sailed the Caribbean several times and want something different, exotic, and cultured! Any tips, tricks, or advice for navigating, sightseeing, procedures, policies, excursions, etc would be great! Any tips to SAVE MONEY a plus! What should I know, where should I go, and what should I do? I love history, culture, nature, and authentic Asian food. 

Definately try hard to spend more than just 7-10 days in Japan.  We always include about 2 weeks land travel using a JR pass either before or after the cruise.   The itinerary is important  we have done 3 and next week heading to do our 4th cruise of Japan but its my 15th trip to Japan.  Cruising around Japan often takes you to the smaller beautiful towns where you get to meet the true locals, however it would be a huge shame not to get to see the other places when are more inland,  eg mt fuji, Kyoto, Nikko etc.

We were on a cruise once that had an excursion to Kyoto but those who went managed to only see the golden pavilion and one castle.  It was a very long expensive day to see so little.   I also believe no one should go to Japan and not see Hiroshima and Miyajima.   A few cruises include it on the itinerary but not many.  

To save money take the hop on hop off bus although they arent called hoho but more often loop bus or other names.  The most important of all is to research research research and you are doing it all right, asking here and planning so far ahead.

Other option is a one day bus ticket, often 500 yen for all day buses.

Consider using a goodwill guide at ports.  They are volunteers who are very happy to spend the day with you taking you around a pre discussed and planned  itinerary at no cost other than their fares, entry cost and meals if you are together at meal time.   The guides are often students who are studying english but we have also had professionals, homemakers, uni professors and retired folk.  Their english varies but all quite easy to communicate.   If you decide to ask for a guide apply as soon as possible.   A ship with several thousand passengers on board causes a huge demand on the few volunteer guides available.

Save more money by buying anything you might want to eat at 7-11, Lawsons. family mart.  They provide all you will need snack wise when off the ship, will even heat any pre packaged meals.    For any little souveniers go to 100 yen shops or Daisco stores, a few others but I cant remember the names.

The Japanese people are extremely helpful and go out of their way to welcome you to their country.   English is a bit  hit and miss but if you ask for help from a university aged person chances are you will be ok.   Another hint is that they dont always understand our accents but they do understand written english.   Of course these days with google translate life is much easier for the tourists.    You will love the Japanese toilets,  I'll leave that little secret to you to discover.

The country is spotless, no rubbish, no rubbish bins, they all take their rubbish home with them.

Have fun researching and planning.

Cheapest way to get to the ship from Narita is the local train 139 minutes 2220 yen no transfers.  Just get into the right train which starts at terminal 1 and sit in the corner til you reach Yokohama.   Then change trains at Yokohama get off at Nihon Odori and a short walk or taxi to the ship.

If you are looking for hotels try and book business hotels which are near stations.  No 5 star but all you need at a decent price.  I have never paid more than $100 aud for a room for 2 anywhere in Japan since I first visited in 1995.   All rooms are basic but comfortable with ensuite bathroom and even provide sleepwear, toiletries much better than Australian hotels.  Rooms are tiny but have all thats needed for a holiday on a budget.

We have been on Diamond Princess x 3 cruises around Japan and about to go on our first Norweigan cruise line ship.  Will be interesting to compare.   

Many passengers on our diamond cruises were actually Chinese rather than Japanese.  After a few days you will very easily work out who is who just by observation.

Enjoy one of my favourite countries.

https://www.japan.travel/en/plan/list-of-volunteer-guides/   for goodwill guide information.

Edited by Tara Jane
  • Thanks 1

I’m trying to spend 14 days here in 2020. Maybe a 8-9 cruise and 4-5 days in a hotel and using the train. I have been researching my butt off and I want to be in the know before I book a cruise in 2020 or possibly 2021.  Do you think this is long enough? Is splitting up my time (half cruise, half hotel) the best way to go financially and culturally? Or should o just book a 14 day cruise. Thanks so much! That was great information. 

To me you are on the right track but financially 7 days land would be more useful. To avoid boring everyone else would you like to email me 

gran.of2athotmaildotcom

That way I might be more use to help you plan specifics.

Edited by Tara Jane

Wow, that’s great! Thank you so much! As soon as I get a better idea and actually book something, I’ll email you. I have to convince my husband to spend 14 days away from work and the family while spending 7k. One question tho, how do you feel about last minute Japan cruises? After doing some investigating, I see last minute sailings for Japan more than 50% cheaper. We would have to be extremely flexible. I’m just worried it will interfere with tour guide bookings and airfare. Do cruise lines really save you money on airfare? I always just book flights on my own. 

I always do my own bookings. We have done last minute cruise bookings one year 9 nights for under $500 aud   last year 19 nights for $1185 aud. Always inside. But booking last minute is extremely stressful trying to coordinate everything and sometimes you save on cruise but end up paying more for flights. If you are still working and have commitments you cant just up and leave then last minute isn't a practical thing to do.    Also you need to be aware of holidays and peak time in Japan. Peak time =high prices and crowds. You are talking June which is good weather wise.  July/August are distressingly hot but also peak time for festivals all over Japan.   We suffer the heat for festivals and found our time in port were much longer than non festival time cruises.   Some nights were 11pm departures and once midnight.   Arriving 7 or 8 am gives you a wonderful long day to get out of the town then come back later in the day for festival activities.   non festival cruises had much shorter port time.  .I've no idea what weather you are used to where you live.  

I'm off to Japan end of this week wont be back til end of May and wont be spending time on cc whole travelling. So best if you dont have immediate questions to wait til end May to hit me with all your questions. 

Have fun planning.

Edited by Tara Jane

In Chicago. So it can be 100F degrees and humid or -5F degrees, windy, and bitter bitter cold. And all in between. Sound like June is the best time to go. I searched for last minute flights and it looks like it would cost about $1600 a person in flights and about 17 hours. Planned ahead of time will be about $1200. We are fairly flexible for a last minute cruise deal. Worried about airfare and scrambling to get our days planned while on land tho. Hoping to sail June 2020, but maybe not til June 2021 depending on expenses, how much things will cost, and taking a lot of time away from home. Interested in Princess Cruises for Japan, but might opt for something more affordable. It will hard for me to opt for an inside cabin since I always cruise ocean view or balcony. But it looks like I might have to sail inside this time unless I change my itinerary to southeast islands such as Thailand, Philippines, Indonesia area since I know Japan can be expensive. 

If you play your cards right it doesnt have to be expensive.   I work on $1000 au per week and always stay within that budget.   Last year we were away 3 weeks and total cost was $2300 includes flights, cruise, hotels pre and post cruise, transport and food.  We never eat in fancy restaurants, use JR pass and business hotels.  Sightseeing can be very reasonable.  To enter tourist attractions where we live can be  $30 = 50 au  very easily.  To do the same in Japan might be 600 yen.   Many shrines/temples are free but if not certainly cheap 400 - 500 yen.   The most expensive we have found in Nikko might cost you 3000 yen for a full day of sightseeing.

True Japan is more expensive than Bali, Thailand etc but it is very different to those countries.

Wow. $1,000 a week per person? That’s a great deal. I’m ok with that. Coming all the way from Chicago, IL, USA, my travel will be significantly higher. So it will probably be more. Who is your preferred cruise line? Definitely emailing you when you get back from Japan 

Hi Briggy. I travel to Japan several times a year and did our first cruise around Japan to Alaska last year (with Princess). We have just booked another Japan cruise for Xmas this year. We did our own thing in all ports on our Japan cruise and didn't need to book any tours at all. There was only one port that I found disappointing. I blogged about each port so will put the link below. Happy to answer any specific questions you might have. It is a spectacular place. I only discovered it about 9 years ago and have just clocked up my 20th trip with two more trips booked this year!

https://tanyastravelblog.wordpress.com/cruises-2/april-2018/

On 4/20/2019 at 6:10 PM, Briggy1 said:

Hello fellow cruisers. I am looking for advice for a first time Japan cruise. Any experienced Japan cruisers? I’m interested in cruising to Japan for 7-10 days the beginning of June 2020 before it gets hot. I’m based in Chicago area. I’ve sailed the Caribbean several times and want something different, exotic, and cultured! Any tips, tricks, or advice for navigating, sightseeing, procedures, policies, excursions, etc would be great! Any tips to SAVE MONEY a plus! What should I know, where should I go, and what should I do? I love history, culture, nature, and authentic Asian food. 

We did Japan on Celebrity Millennium two years ago and fell in love with Japan and its fabulous people. So much we booked another, more Japan intensive cruise on HAL which we are currently on.

Here is a link to our review from two years ago:

http://www.travelandcruise.net/travellove_en/Our-Trips/Celebrity-Millennium-Japan/celebrity-millennium-japan.html

And here is a link to the live(ish) posts from our current cruise:

First time to Japan.  Our cruise ends up in Tokyo at the end of August.  I am expecting hot and muggy and have been researching what is appropriate dress in that weather.  The information seem contradictory depending which site one goes to.  I read somewhere don’t wear white and yet pictures show people in white shirts and blouses.  We want to be respectful of customs (especially at the temples and shrines).  It sounds like many of you have been to Japan many times.  What would you recommend wearing for late August in Tokyo?

Japanese has such bizarre dress. It’s definitely an eclectic mix where you can pretty much wear anything. In summer I wear exactly what I wear back at home in Australia, dresses, shorts etc. I’ve never worried about what color I’ve worn. I was in Tokyo mid July once and actually needed a cardigan at night which I’d not needed at that time before. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On ‎4‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 12:41 PM, SoBaycruiser said:

oWhat would you recommend wearing for late August in Tokyo?

I haven't been there in the heat of summer, but even at the end of May young Japanese women wore everything you can imagine. Lose wide pants above the ankle were one option that works in heat. I also saw what I would call tent dresses. Shorts only on slim young women and teenagers. Colors don't matter. In the cities you see a lot of black, dark blue with white shirts because it is the usual office dress.

One thing I see all the time in Florida: tight revealing clothing on overweight people of all ages; never once did I see that in Japan. I like loose tops of natural fibers and tropical hiking capris from LLBeans because of their pockets. Need fast access to my suica card for the subway and JR lines. 

Edited by Floridiana

7 minutes ago, Floridiana said:

I haven't been there in the heat of summer, but even at the end of May young Japanese women wore everything you can imagine. Lose wide pants above the ankle were one option that works in heat. I also saw what I would call tent dresses. Shorts only on slim young women and teenagers. Colors don't matter. In the cities you see a lot of black, dark blue with white shirts because it is the usual office dress.

One thing I see all the time in Florida: tight revealing clothing on overweight people of all ages; never once did I see that in Japan. I like loose tops of natural fibers and tropical hiking capris from LLBeans because of their pockets. Need fast access to my suica card for the subway and JR lines. 

Thank you so much for your specificity.  That helps a lot.

As to cruising round Japan, small ship is better than large ship, but book what you can afford. The more ports, the better. With more and more cruise lines choosing Japan, even the smallest ports build a port terminal in their fishing and industrial ports. They often have a welcome committee with music and dance and local vendors with maybe tea, sake, food, clothing, souvenirs, free wi-fi. Each port does it a little differently. 

We were there on a Ponant ship, HAL's MS Amsterdam and Azamara Quest. We also did intensive land tours with a group of 14 and one on our own. Both ways of travelling in Japan have their merit.

We cruised from Vancouver to Yokohama then spent ten days travelling independently to Kyoto, Nara and Hakone using a seven day JR pass.  We ended in Tokyo and for the last three days used local transport.  It was surprisingly easy to travel because trains and buses have screens with stops posted in several languages including English.

We didn't find it too expensive.  Our biggest splurge was for a night in a Japanese style ryokan hotel with onsens (mineral baths) in Hakone near Mount Fuji.  We slept on a mat on the floor and ate traditional food for the included dinner and breakfast.  It was definitely worth the experience.

We are experienced travellers, but I was a bit apprehensive about Japan.  However, with plenty of advance research we had a very successful trip.

Sheila

We're going to Japan on an MSC cruise from Dubai and finishing in Tokyo via lots of ports in Asia.travelling mid march and finish Tokyo mid April.

we will only have a few days in Tokyo at the end as cruise is 29 nights so  need to head back to U.K. as cant spare any more time!

Few questions if anyone can help;

what is is the process for immigration in Japan coming off cruise ship and how long does it normally take?

With a probable choice in spending a long day traveling to see Hakone and Mt Fuji or more time exploring Tokyo what is the recommendations, also possible that Mt FUji could be shrouded .

we also dock in Kobe, anyone been there can recommend good sites to visit there or a bit further?

thanks

1 hour ago, cruiser man 60 said:

We're going to Japan on an MSC cruise from Dubai and finishing in Tokyo via lots of ports in Asia.travelling mid march and finish Tokyo mid April.

we will only have a few days in Tokyo at the end as cruise is 29 nights so  need to head back to U.K. as cant spare any more time!

what is is the process for immigration in Japan coming off cruise ship and how long does it normally take?

With a probable choice in spending a long day traveling to see Hakone and Mt Fuji or more time exploring Tokyo what is the recommendations, also possible that Mt FUji could be shrouded .

we also dock in Kobe, anyone been there can recommend good sites to visit there or a bit further?

thanks

There is a lot of discussion of the immigration process entering Japan HERE.  Apparently you have to go through it every time you come in from a foreign port.  So if you dock in Kobe just before Tokyo, you will only go through it once at Kobe.  If you dock somewhere outside of Japan between those ports you will have to go through it twice... or at least that is how I understand it.

• 1 month later...
On ‎6‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 1:12 PM, SoBaycruiser said:

If you dock somewhere outside of Japan between those ports you will have to go through it twice... or at least that is how I understand it.

That is true. We had fast immigration with the officers on the ship and also off the ship in the terminal building, depending on the port. The process was probably fast because we were on relatively small ships. I don't remember any of the lengthy time reported by others.

If your ship goes to Shimizu, you can see Mt. Fujii across the bay - if it is visible. We did not see it from Hakone. 

On 6/10/2019 at 5:21 PM, cruiser man 60 said:

Correct! As mentioned above you will have to go through immigration every time you enter or re-enter the country.

However, immigration is usually very organized and swift.

Possible that Mt. Fuji could be shrouded... "probable" is the better word. Mt. Fuji is also called the shy one.

Chances to see Fuji san as on a post card are rare. We were pretty lucky this year.

I recommend a tour with Koji from Triplelights. He will take you to the best spots. 

Kobe has some interesting sights. However, if it´s your only chance to see Kyoto, you should do Kyoto from Kobe.

For more info and links to travelogues see post #11.

On 6/10/2019 at 8:21 AM, cruiser man 60 said:

We did a Hakone daytrip during a landtrip this June.  Heads up that the Hakone ropeway is likely still closed (check regularly) due to volcanic activity.  It provides some of the best viewpoints of Mt Fuji along the typical Hakone circuit when the weather is clear.  Instead there's a (pretty forgettable) bus ride that connects people from Sounzan at the top of the funicular to the pirate boats at Togendai on one side of Lake Ashi.  

You might also catch of Mt Fuji on the boat ride.  However, apparently the better view, if the weather is clear is at a elevated viewpoint in Onshi-Hakone park if you walk from Hakone-machi to Moto-Hakone.  We did this fairly easy walk but skipped walking up to the viewpoint in the park because the it was going to be too clouded over for us to see Mt Fuji. 

Our best view of Mt Fuji was during a previous trip at a viewpoint at Lake Kawaguchiko but it's still very weather dependent.  

On 6/11/2019 at 1:21 AM, cruiser man 60 said:

thanks

We’ve had varied experiences with immigration and cruising in Japan. Exactly as has been mentioned you do get processed through immigration if the cruise leaves and returns to Japan. Mostly it is well organized and quick. We’ve had one experience that took nearly and hour and half but was due to the ship needing to be cleared and four passengers failing to follow instructions. Needless to say everyone was very unhappy about not being able to board due. Wasn’t the ship’s fault though.

I’ve visited Kobe several times on land trips but not cruised there. The earthquake museum is excellent and the sake factories have free tours with taste tests. They’re both super easy to get to by local train. Chinatown is worth a look but we were disappointed with our meal there (so many great meals in Japan). Happy to help you with train instructions if you’re interested.

ive not been to the base of Fuji but have been to Hakone multiple times as we take friends there if it’s their first trip to Japan. Seeing Fuji is hit or miss as it is so dependent on the weather.

here’s my blog on my last day to Hakone

https://tanyastravelblog.wordpress.com/2018/04/26/planes-not-really-trains-and-automobiles/

Here’s my blog on our last trip to Kobe. We stopped on our way from a Tokyo so there’s a great photo of Fuji from the bullet train

https://tanyastravelblog.wordpress.com/2016/04/06/thats-not-what-i-ordered/

i was in Tokyo last fortnight and stumbled across a day trip to Mt Takao. It was so beautiful and such a easy trip from Tokyo. 

https://tanyastravelblog.wordpress.com/2019/07/01/mount-takao-nailed-everest-not-a-chance/

• Like 1

I did a Holland America cruise of Japan and China a couple of years ago.  The Japanese sightseeing was superb and cost virtually nothing.  Japan has a country-wide network of Volunteer Guides - there's a group in virtually every town - local people who welcome the opportunity to practice their English and to show visitors their home towns.  You can either tell them what you want to see, or ask for suggestions, and let them work out an itinerary.  You arrange it all by email so you get to see whatever you want, and they take no payment.  All it costs you is any expenses during the day - lunch/coffee/bus fares,  plus what it costs them to get to you and then home by public transport.  Of the four guides we had, two were in fact professional tour guides who love their work so much they do it in their free time, too.  Just google Japan Goodwill Guides and you'll see how it works.  We had a wonderful time with our guides in Tokyo, Kyoto (from Osaka), Fukuoka and Beppu.  

Please note - tipping is usually considered an insult in Japan.  I took candy from Buckingham Palace as a thank-you gift for our guides.