Complimentary Mini Bar Set Up

Bee Guy

Can anyone elaborate on this Captain circle perk?  What and how much is offered?

I am also curious to know if  Princess offers discounts on their fare as part of their loyalty program.

Anyone able to make a comparison Royal and Princess of Loyalty programs? 

1 hour ago, Bee Guy said:

Can anyone elaborate on this Captain circle perk?  What and how much is offered?

I am also curious to know if  Princess offers discounts on their fare as part of their loyalty program.

Captain's Circle Elite Mini Bar benefit- 1 set up/cabin/voyage. Includes 8x50ml bottles of spirits, 2 beers, 6 sodas, 2 Perrier, 2 plain water. Contents can be exchanged for 1 for 1 alcohol for alcohol or non-alcohol, non- alcohol for non-alcohol.

Early booking discount, usually $100, on some cruises, usually those that are around 12 to 18 months out.

RCI and Princess programs are different. Princess program only applies to Princess cruise line, no cross overs. No free cocktail hours on Princess. Free laundry for Elites.

All the Princess benefits are shown in the Princess website under Captain's Circle.

1 hour ago, paul929207 said:

Mini bar comes with 8 mini bottles - 2 each of scotch, vodka, gin, brandy They can be swapped for each other ie, trade two scotch for 2 gin.

2 beers

10 sodas, ,water, etc.

The entire thing can be swapped for a bottle of wine or 2 coffee cards.

You can also get a water package.  We traded ours for 18 bottles of water, still water only.  If you want some sparkling water you'll get fewer bottles.  

We traded out all of our non-alcoholic drinks for 10 cans of diet coke and all of the alcoholic drinks for 10 cans(16oz) of bud light. 20 drinks total. Call room service asap on boarding. It's boarding day, so it may take a while to get it changed out.

Just an FYI- but on a Medallion cruise (Caribbean Princess) if you swap out for 2 coffee cards, they go onto the medallion and expire at end of cruise, which isn't worth it, in my opinion for a 7 day cruise. No actual cards are available. 

9 minutes ago, shastatroy said:

Just an FYI- but on a Medallion cruise (Caribbean Princess) if you swap out for 2 coffee cards, they go onto the medallion and expire at end of cruise, which isn't worth it, in my opinion for a 7 day cruise. No actual cards are available. 

I will be on the b2b Sky Inaugurals in the beg of Dec. If I trade my mini bar, for the equivalent of 2 coffee cards can I use it for both weeks ?

Sali

27 minutes ago, Orangefan said:

I will be on the b2b Sky Inaugurals in the beg of Dec. If I trade my mini bar, for the equivalent of 2 coffee cards can I use it for both weeks ?

Sali

Based on the posts I’ve read whether they transfer to the next cruise of a B2B can vary...some have reported they do & others have said no.

We’re sailing the Sky’s 28 day from Rome to FL booked as a single cruise so ours should be valid for the entire cruise.  It can also be booked as 7-7-14 day cruises so those booking as separate cruises might have the coffee program end after each cruise.  The T&C state unused coffees expire at the end of a cruise but some have reported they did transfer to the second cruise of a B2B.

Unfortunately there doesn’t seem to be a standardized procedure resulting in some carrying over to a second cruise of a B2B & for others it did not.  I will confirm the process on the ship before deciding about exchanging the elite minibar for two coffee programs.  Soon we sail B2B cruises on the Royal & will learn whether coffees transfer to the second cruise on that ship.

Edited by Astro Flyer

1 hour ago, shastatroy said:

Not just medallion ships, all ships. No more cards on any ship. The coffee package is recorded in your on board account. Doesn't matter if the ship has medallions or cruise cards.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Bee Guy said:

Can anyone elaborate on this Captain circle perk?  What and how much is offered? Since you're asking about it, you may not be aware that you won't be eligible for it if you aren't Elite with Princess.

Others answered the question about what you get.

Not really the "loyalty" programs, but Princess has these benefits that Royal doesn't:

1) If you're a veteran, send a copy of your DD-214(same for active with a different form) to Princess and you get OBC (from $25 to $250 depending on the length of the cruise) and you only need to apply once.

2) Future Cruise Deposits cost $100 and are you're deposit on a future cruise and receive OBC depending on the cabin category AND it's fully refundable if you don't use it within 2 years. Pretty sure Royal doesn't give it back (use it or lose it).

3) If you own stock in Carnival, you receive OBC (the same amounts as for the military/veteran benefit) Yes, I know Royal has a stock program BUT

4) all OBC can be stacked. Meaning you don't have to choose which one you want to use.

So, veteran OBC, shareholder OBC, travel agent OBC, Loyalty OBC, Future Cruise Deposit OBC, Princess sale OBC (and probably others)...all combine. We've had as much as $1100 in OBC on some of our cruises.

3 hours ago, JF - retired RRT said:

Not really the "loyalty" programs, but Princess has these benefits that Royal doesn't:

1) If you're a veteran, send a copy of your DD-214(same for active with a different form) to Princess and you get OBC (from $25 to $250 depending on the length of the cruise) and you only need to apply once.

2) Future Cruise Deposits cost $100 and are you're deposit on a future cruise and receive OBC depending on the cabin category AND it's fully refundable if you don't use it within 2 years. Pretty sure Royal doesn't give it back (use it or lose it).

3) If you own stock in Carnival, you receive OBC (the same amounts as for the military/veteran benefit) Yes, I know Royal has a stock program BUT

4) all OBC can be stacked. Meaning you don't have to choose which one you want to use.

So, veteran OBC, shareholder OBC, travel agent OBC, Loyalty OBC, Future Cruise Deposit OBC, Princess sale OBC (and probably others)...all combine. We've had as much as $1100 in OBC on some of our cruises.

Two things that you need to be aware of in regards to the Veterans' OBC: first of all, it is refundable, as opposed to the Shareholder OBC which is not refundable; and while you need only apply once and after that it's automatic, you need to realize that the Veterans' OBC is linked to your Captains' Circle (CC) number and that if you go through a travel agent, you need to make sure that the TA must make sure that he/she has to be sure that they input your CC number in the reservation or you won't get the vets OBC!

You're certainly correct in that OBC can really add up. My wife and I had $2050 worth of OBC on a trans-Atlantic cruise this coming September until 3 days ago. Then, due to a change in the cruise we gave up $600 in OBC in exchange for a price drop that saved us $2000!  Figured that was a no-brainer! 😀

Tom

Edited by Pierlesscruisers
  • Like 1

Yes, having a level near the top in our Captains Circle makes it much better. That only means you have Cruised  Days aboard the Ships..eh..

Having the Military as well Shareholder Benefits do benefit youall on all of Carnival Cruise Lines.

OBC makes a nice gifting for your family, friends, and/or associates to cruise with.

Using it to reduce your cost basis is a good business sense activity ..eh..🤩

Having an astute Travel Agent with a ASTA Agency makes it better !👓

Edited by AAAAmerican

9 hours ago, Astro Flyer said:

Based on the posts I’ve read whether they transfer to the next cruise of a B2B can vary...some have reported they do & others have said no.

We’re sailing the Sky’s 28 day from Rome to FL booked as a single cruise so ours should be valid for the entire cruise.  It can also be booked as 7-7-14 day cruises so those booking as separate cruises might have the coffee program end after each cruise.  The T&C state unused coffees expire at the end of a cruise but some have reported they did transfer to the second cruise of a B2B.

Unfortunately there doesn’t seem to be a standardized procedure resulting in some carrying over to a second cruise of a B2B & for others it did not.  I will confirm the process on the ship before deciding about exchanging the elite minibar for two coffee programs.  Soon we sail B2B cruises on the Royal & will learn whether coffees transfer to the second cruise on that ship.

I am fairly certain it is not Princess’s intent for you to book a 28 day cruise, trade in one mini bar set up for two coffee programs good for 28 days, then have two additional mini bar set ups.  But some people have reported they were able to do this. 

I just hope when Princess closes this loophole that everyone does not complain that it is another take-away.  

Enjoy it while you can.  It would certain be reasonable for Princess to require you to turn in all three of the mini bar set ups to receive a coffee package for each segment. One or the other, but not both.

• Like 1

If you book a B2B etc. the mini bar will be set up again on each segment.  Your OBC will add up along with military and stock...sooooo if you can set it up not to change cabins that is the route to take.  We were shocked when we booked a 3 and 5 day b2b ( remember a few yrs ago when Princess was experimenting with shorter cruises ) and they gave us a new set up ☺️ In the past we have gone on 21 day +TA's without the new set ups because we didn't book b2b. Glad we learned our lesson.

First time doing a 14 day cruise on the Sky Athens-Barcelona-Rome. The cruise can be booked as 7 day cruises.  I contacted Captain Circle to see if I would get 1 or 2 mini bar set up, I was told I would get 2 set ups.

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, paul929207 said:

Sometimes they do and others they don't. Can't hurt to ask.

have you - or anyone else - been able to swap out the mini bottles of liquor for other kinds of liquor - such as a rum, bourbon, Jack ?

54 minutes ago, voljeep said:

have you - or anyone else - been able to swap out the mini bottles of liquor for other kinds of liquor - such as a rum, bourbon, Jack ?

I don't believe that would be possible - the ship only carries the mini bottles in a few types of alcohol

53 minutes ago, voljeep said:

There aren't minis of other liquors to swap for.  They don't have a whole stock of minis of every kinds .

You can swap like for like - there's only the 4 options, vodka, gin, scotch, cognac.  There's no rum, bourbon, etc. 

32 minutes ago, memoak said:

They used to have Irish Whiskey instead of Scotch but that changes a few years ago - can't abide Scotch so I usually change all the liquors to vodka

I absolutely love good Scotch. The problem is they offer Cutty Sark which is nasty stuff. Room service offers "upgraded Scotch in the form of Johnny Walker Red. GAK. Not as bad as Cutty Sark but still not something I'd be willing to pay for or drink.

41 minutes ago, Thrak said:

I absolutely love good Scotch. The problem is they offer Cutty Sark which is nasty stuff. Room service offers "upgraded Scotch in the form of Johnny Walker Red. GAK. Not as bad as Cutty Sark but still not something I'd be willing to pay for or drink.

The mini-bar scotch is Dewar's, which I like just fine.

Jim

• Like 1