Cost of an upsell

oskidunker

I think I read here that someone was offered an upsell shortly after the final payment was due. I wonder if many have expe

I got an offer on a Mexico Cruise about a week before  anc did not get it. Again was offered two days before and happened to be home when they called so I got it. 

I have good success getting offers from obstructed view to balconies. Was wondering if I get. The same offer on the next cruise if it would be worthwhile to ask for a mini suite telling them I would pay more? While many booking balconies seem to not make the final payment, I do not see this with mini bookings. 

Crap shoot, I know. Just curious on others luck upgrading and timing. Have  July 13 Sapphire cruise coming up 

25% of what?

When I first started receiving upsell offers they were about 50% of the difference in cost between the cabin category I had booked and the category Princess wanted me to move up to. Now for my two Alaska cruises last summer the first offers were almost the full 100% difference I would have paid in the first place, though for one cruise I did receive a reduced offer about 10 days before sailing.

To me adding any more cost to the fare would have watered down the value of the perks I got by booking during the Anniversary Sale, nicer cabin or not. So a no-brainer to decline. But the acceptance rate must still be high as mine is just one of many reports that the offers are less attractive yet still coming at the same pace.

Edited by fishywood

7 minutes ago, long cruiser said:

What ever happened to an upgrade?

long cruiser

In the case of Princess, they now rarely give upgrades to a higher class of cabin. They do them to move people within a type of cabin. So to go from an ocean view to a balcony is usually an upsell. Going from a balcony to a higher category balcony is usually an upgrade.

We took advantage of an upgrade from a mini to full aft wrap-around suite on our 13 day transatlantic last fall. About a $900 cost ... but I'd do it again in a minute on a long voyage. The suite was wonderful and the perks fantastic!!

13 hours ago, oskidunker said:

Seems to be about 25% to go from ocean view to balcony. Anyone tracked this? Anyone ever been offered a double upgrade?

Yes.  Had booked a guarantee Interior IF on Grand princess for 10 day Mexican, Dec 3-13.

Was subsequently assigned an IA interior.  Then came an upsell offer of $129 pp to move to a balcony.

Called and was offered cabin on Aloha.  Declined since not keen on potential noise from Lido deck above.

Agent then offered a balcony on Baha which I countered asking if anything available on Caribe.  Ended up on Caribe close to the rear staircase.  

Not a bad upsell for $12.90 per person per day!!

Edited by racj846
  • Like 1

I was offered an upsell 9 days ago for my June 8 sailing on the Royal Princess.....The offer was “Choose one of our STANDARD balconies for $229 per person or a DELUXE Balconies (includes seating area) for $259 per person”. We decided not to take advantage of either offer.

Crown Princess 10 day Christmas cruise - upsell from a BE balcony to a MB mini-suite for $129 per person.  Took it!

Upcoming Sapphire Princess 14 day Land of the Midnight Sun (Norway) cruise - upsell from an ME mini to a full suite for $1129 per person.  Didn't even think about it!

9 minutes ago, oskidunker said:

Is that the June Land of the midnight sun cruise? Prices look about $1000 less pp for every category compared to my July 13 cruise. Did prices go down a lot after the final payment?

Yes, the June 15th cruise.  I have no idea what the suite price was since we are cruising with family and all wanted adjacent covered mini-suites.  I do know that the current (post final payment obviously) online full payment (including port fees and taxes) is $4658 for mini-suites and is noted as new bookings only.  There are two ME cabins available at that price.  For months before final payment, I think the mini-suites were sold out.  Full suites are now listed as sold out (maybe someone else took that upsell).

When we booked last June, the ME cabins were listed as $5394 including Sip and Sail.  With our TA discount we paid 7% less, received the exact cabins we wanted, the Sip and Sail promo was included (if we had to pay that ourselves on the ship it would be over $1700!), and - just as importantly - were able to get excellent air fare through EZ-Air (less than half price the airline's fare) by booking when the air fares opened.

While it is possible to find great sales after final payment on many cruises, when you factor in the lack of promos, the possible need to spend much more on last minute airline fares, and not getting the cabin location that is important to you I am usually risk averse to waiting that long.  We will do last minute Caribbean cruises because we can drive to Port Everglades if the price is right.  I imagine the few remaining cabins on this cruise will be attractive to Brits who can easily get to/from Southampton.

I wonder if recent bad press has caused some to cancel. I have notice  about 11 mini suites have appeared on my July 13 cruise that was previously sold out in that cabin category . could be people cancelling before final payment to avoid losing deposits. I expect moRe availability will appear after the final pay end of month. . Also travel agents returning blocks.

3 hours ago, richmke said:

Any stats on upsell from Interior to Ocean View?

No stats, but on one cruise we had an interior and got an upsell to a balcony. Grabbed an aft balcony. And yes "grabbed" is the right word. The rep offered a mid-ship balcony. I asked if I could have the aft balcony which was showing as available and the answer was "yes".

It was selling at that point for almost $10K. We'd paid less than $3K for our inside (17 day cruise on the Pacific) and the upsell cost around $300 pp.

• Like 1

Got an upsell offer, soon after final Payment, for an upcoming 15 day cruise on the Pacific Princess. Originally booked into a mid-forward balcony on deck 7 and was offered a mid-aft minisuite on deck 8 for the amazing upsell price of an additional $200 per person. Being too good a deal to pass up, I quickly made the call, left a message, received a return call within an hour, and just that quickly, we were moved.

It's the only time I've gotten an upsell offer, after 40+ Princess cruises!!

I am hoping to get a mini suite, although since I am in an outside now,they probably will not offer that. When I call maybe I’ll leave a message accepting the balcony but asking for the mini if I pay more. Not sure anyone has been successful doing that but it can’t hurt to try. Maybe offer double whatever the upgrade to a Balcony might be 

someone reported that they left their credit card on the voicemail telling them to go ahead and process the upgrade and they did that without a return call.