October/November Budapest to Amsterdam

AliceSprings

15 hours ago, AliceSprings said:

Has anyone done this cruise in Oct or Nov?  

What was the crowds like? the weather like? the food like?

What was good or bad about travelling at this time of year?

What kind of clothing did you pack?

Thanks, tash

We booked the reverse (Vilshofen to Budapest) Oct/Nov of 2018. Weather last year was unseasonably warm for that time of year. We spent 5 days in Munich pre-cruise and did the same in Budapest port-cruise. We were, however, prepared with layers (although rarely needed last year). 

Our european travel is usually during the shoulder seasons as we much prefer the less crowded conditions as opposed to the larger crowds during the summer months. That said, I have always pack my light-weight down jacket, rainproof coat/shoes/ and an umbrella. This, along with various layers, has prepared me for any weather I have encountered on my many european jaunts.

I love Austrian, German and Hungarian food - dining in ports of call was excellent (we selected our own venues - nothing offered by the ship). Food on the ship was good.

hi there, we too are doing a cruise close to this time (Nov-Dec) from Budapest to Amsterdam with Viking (not sure who you are travelling with).  We are going to have 4 days pre cruise in Budapest doing our own thing and then 4 days post cruise doing our own thing stopping off in Singapore for 5 days on the way home to break the trip 🙂  interesting to hear what others say re timing....

We took a Basel to Amsterdam cruise a couple of years ago in late late October. We had wonderful weather - cool during the day - but not what I'd consider unbearably "cold". Just dressed in layers, and did have a hat and gloves. Loved traveling during this time - the trees and vineyards were beautiful fall colors and the crowds were much sparser.

15 hours ago, TGBoss said:

We took a Basel to Amsterdam cruise a couple of years ago in late late October. We had wonderful weather - cool during the day - but not what I'd consider unbearably "cold". Just dressed in layers, and did have a hat and gloves. Loved traveling during this time - the trees and vineyards were beautiful fall colors and the crowds were much sparser.

Oh that is so nice to hear.  We are doing Amsterdam to Basel on 14th October.  I hate hot weather (and crowds), so prefer it coolish.  Nice to know that we will see autumn colours.