Can I change select price freebie later?

Dinglebert

Before I go and have to pay P+O to speak to them, thought I would try here first.

We booked last year for a cruise this year.  Took the select price and had two separate bookings due to using maximum Tesco Clubcard vouchers.  On one of the rooms I took the room credit on the other I took the free parking.   I have since booked that parking.  However the 12 week train prices have been released and my calulator is out.

The train for the four of us would be £230.  The car petrol price is roughly £100   If I was able to change the parking into room credit the difference would only be £80 and a far more relaxing journey than a 450 mile drive both ways.

Would I be allowed to change at this stage given I have booked the parking?

I suspect I know the answer.

Yes, I think so.

We certainly changed (unbooked) parking for obc, fairly recently.  I suppose it depends on the t&cs for the parking.  Anyway, if you phone customer services you’ll get the definitive answer; good luck.  I think you’ll be ok

12 minutes ago, Dinglebert said:

Before I go and have to pay P+O to speak to them, thought I would try here first.

We booked last year for a cruise this year.  Took the select price and had two separate bookings due to using maximum Tesco Clubcard vouchers.  On one of the rooms I took the room credit on the other I took the free parking.   I have since booked that parking.  However the 12 week train prices have been released and my calulator is out.

The train for the four of us would be £230.  The car petrol price is roughly £100   If I was able to change the parking into room credit the difference would only be £80 and a far more relaxing journey than a 450 mile drive both ways.

Would I be allowed to change at this stage given I have booked the parking?

I suspect I know the answer.

You should be able to, check with your TA or P&O if you booked direct, they will advise if you can, and if CPS charge any cancellation fee.

CPS t&cs

https://www.cruiseparking.co.uk/TermsAndConditions

10% cancellation fee.

(but this might not apply to P&O linked booking - maybe?)

I think if I were you I’d go for the train journey and take the financial hit.  As you say, the alternative is a stressful, and possibly crowded, drive.

Phone and get the definitive answer

I have changed my ‘free’ parking (with CPS) to additional OBC on a number of future cruises, since I discovered that I preferred Parking4Cruises (who can also be a lot cheaper, so it’s a win win). I book direct with P&O and my contact there made the changes for me in minutes. No cost and very straightforward. 

In all cases I had actually booked the parking with CPS, so all I did was email them to cancel those bookings. Again, no problem. 

Don't be mislead about cancellation fees with CPS. This only applies if you have paid for the booking with them yourself. If you have booked ‘free’ parking with CPS (as provided by inputting your P&O booking ref) then there are NO cancellation fees whatsoever.  

Just out of curiosity, how did the Clubcard booking go? 

We did that once and ended up paying far more than the price that would have been available had we booked online - I had no idea of pricing at the time and didn't realise until afterwards.  The reason given was that Clubcard bookings were charged at a higher rate.

6 minutes ago, docco said:

Just out of curiosity, how did the Clubcard booking go? 

We did that once and ended up paying far more than the price that would have been available had we booked online - I had no idea of pricing at the time and didn't realise until afterwards.  The reason given was that Clubcard bookings were charged at a higher rate.

It used to be the case (quite a few years ago now) that Clubcard Bookings could not have other offers applied to them, but there was no limit on the amount you could redeem. We once had a virtually free cruise on them, but the offer wasn’t worth using if you didn’t have a lot of them. 

In recent years the scheme has changed completely. The bad news is that you can’t use that many (£810 from memory, but that’s a guess, and there are some restrictions) but the good news is that ALL other offers can be applied, so there is no disadvantage to using them anymore. 

Blimey. My memory is better than I thought. It is £810. Here are the T’s and C’s from the Tesco Boost website;

Cruise must be for a minimum of 6-night duration.

You must book with the tour operator at least 90 days before you travel.

Tokens are redeemable against all special offers and promotional prices on the 'Select' fares with the exception of any repeat booker offers. Tokens cannot be used on Early Saver or Saver Fares.

A maximum value of £810 in token codes can be used per booking. You cannot add more token codes at a later date.

Just noticed that they now exclude ‘repeat booker offers’ which P&O has used during the last few launches (5%), which does somewhat negate the benefit. Select prices only wouldn’t bother us, as that’s all we book, but might others. That being said, we tend to use our Boost vouchers for other things nowadays, such as free car Ferry tickets to the Isle of Wight!

18 minutes ago, docco said:

Thanks for all that info re Clubcard, Selbourne - I've avoided it since the last time we used it because of the restrictions, but it's obviously worth a look now.

It was for us.  I had £1300 worth of vouchers hence having to do two bookings.  Thanks for all the info re the cancelling of parking and thanks for freephone number.  Will get to work.