Suggestions please

Cruisin 4 Ever

I am taking a cruise in a few months with 4 ports I've never been to so I really need help figuring out what to do at each port since it will be too expensive to book excursions for all the ports through the cruiseline. any information about whether there are things to do within walking distance of getting off the ship or must do excursions would be great.

Antigua

Barbados

St. Kitts

Castries, St. Lucia.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

6 hours ago, Cruisin 4 Ever said:

I am taking a cruise in a few months with 4 ports I've never been to so I really need help figuring out what to do at each port since it will be too expensive to book excursions for all the ports through the cruiseline. any information about whether there are things to do within walking distance of getting off the ship or must do excursions would be great.

Antigua

Barbados

St. Kitts

Castries, St. Lucia.

As you can see from all of the posts here on the St Lucia forum, there's very little within walking distance/area around the port. It's very much a gritty working capital city, not a scenic quaint gentrified for tourism village. 

I'd highly suggest a tour to see the highlights if the island - with someone like Cosol or Spencer Ambrose or Serenity TVL or Barefoot Holidays or Solar Tours and Travel or Real St Lucia Experience, etc.  

Antigua is very easy to beach it on your own - Dickinson Bay or such.

Barbados - Harrison Caves is interesting and different, or beautiful beaches, Harbor Lights is a fave. 

St Kitts - Cockleshell or raggae beach are popular as is the train ride, unique in the Caribbean.

Enjoy.

I'm not sure which cruise line you're sailing with, but I did a snorkle w/ sea turtles excursion through Royal last time I was in Barbados and it is one of the best experience I've ever had. You sail out on a catamaran and they were serving rum punch, snorkle for about 30-40 minutes, then we were allowed to relax on shore for about another 45 minutes. Everyone has there own preferences but everyone that was in our group was ranting and raving over this too.

On 4/21/2019 at 4:27 AM, Cruisin 4 Ever said:

Antigua

Barbados

St. Kitts

Castries, St. Lucia.

Absolutely no reason to book any excursions with your cruiseline.....These are the private tours we have booked online directly with the provider and enjoyed:

Antigua...Lawrence of Antigua

Barbados...Glory Tours

St Kitts....Thenford Gray

St Lucia....Cosol (just amazing !!!!)

In St. Lucia, you could walk over to the Central Market (about 20 minutes).  Lots of vendors and  local items.  The walk is nice right around the harbor.

In Antigua, you could catch a local bus over to Nelson's Dockyard and walk around the restored harbor.  Nice quaint village with period buildings that house museums, bars, and restaurants.

Not much in Barbados without a tour.  They do have a really nice tree-lined park right along the water's edge that leads from the port.  Unfortunately, it's only about a half mile long.

What type of things do you enjoy doing? Land tours? Water/boat excursion? Swimming? Snorkeling? That helps to point you in the right direction. 

For St Lucia, I highly recommend Spencer Ambrose tours. I can tell you more if you'd like.

• 3 weeks later...

We are currently booked on RC excursion Cruise to the Pitons but after seeing your Spencer Ambrose review I am considering changing our plans. Can you tell me how long the speedboat ride was back from your last destination? We would just do the beach break tour. Thank you!

20 hours ago, bballmomma said:

We are currently booked on RC excursion Cruise to the Pitons but after seeing your Spencer Ambrose review I am considering changing our plans. Can you tell me how long the speedboat ride was back from your last destination? We would just do the beach break tour. Thank you!

Its approximately 40-45 minutes. It does somewhat depend on sea conditions that day with regards to how fast they can go.  You can expect about 45 minutes for the transfer.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/23/2019 at 3:18 PM, bballmomma said:

I will take a look at the time stamps on my pictures when I get home. But...even with just the piton beach break at Jalousie Beach, it's not a straight ride back from the beach. They do a little site seeing along the way and go to a little village and tell you about things and people that have places there. It's really pretty. It definitely doesn't feel anywhere close to 45 minutes to me but I'll check. 

7 hours ago, mitsugirly said:

I will take a look at the time stamps on my pictures when I get home. But...even with just the piton beach break at Jalousie Beach, it's not a straight ride back from the beach. They do a little site seeing along the way and go to a little village and tell you about things and people that have places there. It's really pretty. It definitely doesn't feel anywhere close to 45 minutes to me but I'll check. 

Yes, the ride back is longer as they do meander and take in some sights, ie bat cave, lady slipper arch, Marigot Bay, etc.  The ride down is definitely quicker, he likes to beat the crowds.