Travel Insurance Trip Cost Provision

I recently booked another cruise and have purchased travel insurance coverage from a very highly rated firm at a reasonable cost. My primary purpose for insurance is the medical coverage and emergency evacuation coverage.  I'm not concerned about the cancellation coverage because I normally pay for the fully refundable cruise fare. This most recent booking is in Nov 2020. 

My current issue is purchasing coverage within 15 days of the cruise deposit and using the cruise trip cost to determine the policy premium. I do this to waive any pre-existing conditions exclusions. The agent tells me to use that amount, but it seems incorrect because I would get back the entire cruise cost paid if cancelled at any time for any reason. I'm considering lowering the trip cost to my plane fare/hotel, which is half the cruise fare. That should lower the travel insurance by 1/2. 

I would appreciate any suggestions on how to improve my strategy. I need medical coverage, but really no cancellation coverage. Would it be better to use the travel insurance for cancellation coverage and not take it thru RCI? The travel insurance has some pretty broad reasons to meet their cancellation guidelines, and I'm not likely to cancel a cruise unless God forbid there was a family death. I always fly down the day before embarkation. 

Thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated...TY and Happy Easter...

Many have reported doing exactly as you are thinking,  some even put down a $0 cost for the trip just to get the medical.  One of the policies that we sell it makes no difference if you put down $0 or $1000 the cost is the same,  above $1000 it starts to increase.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

2 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Many have reported doing exactly as you are thinking,  some even put down a $0 cost for the trip just to get the medical.  One of the policies that we sell it makes no difference if you put down $0 or $1000 the cost is the same,  above $1000 it starts to increase.

Is it CC permissible for you to tell the insurance carrier and policy "name"?

It's going to be State residency dependent. I live in Washington State. There is only 1 policy I can buy that let's me get pre-existing condition coverage and still not cover the entire trip. otherwise, most policies do require you to cover the entire Trip Cost to cover Pre-Existing.

For me, the price breakdown is in $500 increments, so I buy at the Trip Cost of $500.

For me,,, I had written an e-mail to Steve at www.tripinsurancestore.com  and he found the policy for me.

When I was just reviewing the options on my own, I hadn't noticed that this policy waived the entire cost provision.

Edited by klfrodo
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, klfrodo said:

It's going to be State residency dependent. I live in Washington State. There is only 1 policy I can buy that let's me get pre-existing condition coverage and still not cover the entire trip. otherwise, most policies do require you to cover the entire Trip Cost to cover Pre-Existing.

For me, the price breakdown is in $500 increments, so I buy at the Trip Cost of $500.

I had written an e-mail to Steve at www.tripinsurancestore.com  and he found the policy for me.

When I was just reviewing the options on my own, I hadn't noticed that this policy waived the entire cost provision.

This looks like a great resource. TY and Happy Easter..

On 4/21/2019 at 8:34 AM, klfrodo said:

For me,,, I had written an e-mail to Steve at www.tripinsurancestore.com  and he found the policy for me.

Spoke with TIS this morning and am set up to purchase a Emer Med/Emer Evac policy with no pre-existing conditions, no travel cost issue or need for primary insurance. Works for me, TY again. 

Edited by Johnamac123

I go to insuremytrip .com and get medical coverage only (link will be on left on policies page). It covers medical and evacuation. It's way cheaper (??) than getting the evacuation policy. The one I just got also has some trip cancellation coverage that was included which was a bonus. I think the name was seven corners insurance company

54 minutes ago, sailor05 said:

I go to insuremytrip .com and get medical coverage only (link will be on left on policies page). It covers medical and evacuation. It's way cheaper (??) than getting the evacuation policy. The one I just got also has some trip cancellation coverage that was included which was a bonus. I think the name was seven corners insurance company

I think we are talking about similar policies. My cost is $43, $1mm medical with 0 deduct, $500K emer evac. I'm happy. 

Since when is there a fully refundable cruise fare???????

The DEPOSIT may be refundable, but once you hit final payment, there is a sliding scale of what you can get back, which is no more than 75%.

10 minutes ago, SRF said:

Since when is there a fully refundable cruise fare???????

The DEPOSIT may be refundable, but once you hit final payment, there is a sliding scale of what you can get back, which is no more than 75%.

TY. I was mistaken and did not know that at the time of my OP....BTW, have you heard of any unique circumstances where you could get a refund/FCC after the final payment date? I'm speaking of death in family, etc.? 

Edited by Johnamac123