sailing cape horn westbound

sho

Ought not make any difference.  Typically, the itinerary is a detour to the south of Cape Horn and then back to the Beagle Channel for the actual passage through the Tierra del Fuego Archipelago.  You wouldn’t normally transit the Drake Passage.

• 2 months later...
24 minutes ago, anthonyy7 said:

All ships (going east or west) circle cape horn clockwise so as to enter the drake passage with the current.  That said, choose a balcony on the port side!

If you’re going to circle something in a clockwise direction, the thing (Cape Horn) will be one the starboard side (centre of the circle).

4 minutes ago, anthonyy7 said:

I mean to say counter clockwise, sailing across the top then down into the drake passage with the island off the port side.

Ahh... now there you go!  Only problem with this is that it is not what we did on our last cruise to the Horn.... we went about it in a CW direction.

17 hours ago, d9704011 said:

If you’re going to circle something in a clockwise direction, the thing (Cape Horn) will be one the starboard side (centre of the circle).

We just booked Celebrity Silhouette for this cruise - San Antonio to Buenos Aires.  Are you saying that it is better to be on starboard side (vs. port)?   At the moment, they have suites on both sides so I have options.   

1 hour ago, RSLeesburg said:

We just booked Celebrity Silhouette for this cruise - San Antonio to Buenos Aires.  Are you saying that it is better to be on starboard side (vs. port)?   At the moment, they have suites on both sides so I have options.   

From my own experience, starboard would have afforded the best view.  Really, I cannot predict what the captain will do; going on deck will provide great views no matter which side the Cape is on.

18 hours ago, d9704011 said:

From my own experience, starboard would have afforded the best view.  Really, I cannot predict what the captain will do; going on deck will provide great views no matter which side the Cape is on.

Thanks.  I think we are on Starboard side.  As you mentioned, we can go up on deck to see anything but figured it would not hurt to ask while I have choices.  Was not sure how much of the mountains you can see as you are sailing around.  

15 minutes ago, RSLeesburg said:

Thanks.  I think we are on Starboard side.  As you mentioned, we can go up on deck to see anything but figured it would not hurt to ask while I have choices.  Was not sure how much of the mountains you can see as you are sailing around.  

We found our views of the mountains, glaciers, etc.... to be excellent.  I’m sure you’ll enjoy yourself immensely.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/23/2019 at 10:14 AM, RSLeesburg said:

All the glaciers will be port side.  

As mentioned,   you don't actually sail around the horn.    The ship will come down the Atlantic side.  depending on conditions-  they may or may not,  round the horn.    They then do a 180 and head north on the same Atlantic side.    

Sea conditions are totally unpredictable,  but do be prepared for some rough sailing.   

It's a fantastic itinerary,  that I've been doing every year since 2010,  13 trips around the horn.  It is well worth doing a b2b sailing-  if possible.    The ports are superb and scenic sailing excellent,  on the Chilean side.     

53 minutes ago, Budget Queen said:

As mentioned,   you don't actually sail around the horn.    The ship will come down the Atlantic side.  depending on conditions-  they may or may not,  round the horn.    They then do a 180 and head north on the same Atlantic side.    

Sea conditions are totally unpredictable,  but do be prepared for some rough sailing.   

It's a fantastic itinerary,  that I've been doing every year since 2010,  13 trips around the horn.  It is well worth doing a b2b sailing-  if possible.    The ports are superb and scenic sailing excellent,  on the Chilean side.     

I am not sure I understand - we are starting in Chile on the west coast of South America, sailing south, around Cape Horn, and then north along the eastern coast to Argentina.  It looks to me as we are sailing around the southern tip of South America.  

48 minutes ago, RSLeesburg said:

I am not sure I understand - we are starting in Chile on the west coast of South America, sailing south, around Cape Horn, and then north along the eastern coast to Argentina.  It looks to me as we are sailing around the southern tip of South America.  

nope ,   you do not.   You will sail through the Beagle Channel,   to the Atlantic,  then as I post.     Take a look at your itinerary.    You go to Ushuaia.  also,   refer to a detailed map,  which shows the details.    Your route-   is not around Cape Horn.    But hopefully you will get a look,   that will be starboard.   Just about always,   starboard is the far more extensive viewing of the horn.    Glaciers will only be on your port side.   

OK.  Thanks.  I believe there are still starboard suites available.  I will call tomorrow to change ours.  

I think i misunderstood your comments.  I thought you meant that we would only be sailing in Atlantic the entire cruise.  I see now what you meant.  It was semantics - I meant we were sailing from west to east, and I thought you meant we were only sailing north and south on same side.  We may not be out in open sea to “go around the horn”, but we do go from pacific to Atlantic, and do go by Cape Horn 😉

we we are excited - just wish we could have stopped at Falklands too.  

• 3 weeks later...

We are looking at a future cruise from BA to Lima. Can anyone answer which side to book for this direction and f we are departing late Feb and finishing in Lima early March how cold are the southern ports?

That’s a great location to cruise!  Weatherwise, your coolest port is likely to be Ushuaia and temperatures will probably be in low teens.  Other, less southerly ports, could be much warmer (BA could be in low to mid 30s,,, it is summer there after all at end of Feb).

As for best side of ship, I don’t think it really much matters but we like starboard but I can’t give you any firm explanation why.  Probably best to choose a cabin that’s conveniently located according to your needs (ie. close to elevators, buffet, gym,  midships whatever is important to you).