Cheap toilet tissue - a false economy?

Tommart

OK, so this is pretty trivial, but I was struck recently by the extremely poor quality of the toilet paper now provided - it was so bad that you needed to use several metres of the stuff to be 'safe'.

Occurred to me that we were using way more than we would have done if they'd provided something a fraction more expensive.

A false economy?

24 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

It has to be light weight to avoid blocking the small diameter waste pipes used on board cruise liners.

That's a fair point. Not sure how those pipes cope with twice the amount being used, though.

17 hours ago, yorkshirephil said:

Its better than Izal though.

Do they even still make Izal, hideous stuff thankfully long consigned to memory in my case.

If cruise critic had an award for the most unusual discussion thread  I think the OP might just win it this year. The prize would of course be a 🧻

6 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

Do they even still make Izal

I wondered about this once you mentioned it. Did an "Izal" search on Ebay and found you can get the traditional rolls and also the interleaved single sheets in small boxes which have a perforated section which you punch out to get the pack started.  A ceramic dispenser is also available for wall mounting and use. Not sure how you would present your collection, albums are not going to work. Probably best in a glass cabinet in your dining room.

The prices are very high and I assume the dealers are aiming at serious collectors or cloacapapyrologists as you know.  I think most people would regard people following this hobby as nutters and probably would be well advised to collect something else like; duct tape, tea bags or barbed wire

Regards John

Edited by john watson
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, john watson said:

I wondered about this once you mentioned it. Did an "Izal" search on Ebay and found you can get the traditional rolls and also the interleaved single sheets in small boxes which have a perforated section which you punch out to get the pack started.  A ceramic dispenser is also available for wall mounting and use. Not sure how you would present your collection, albums are not going to work. Probably best in a glass cabinet in your dining room.

The prices are very high and I assume the dealers are aiming at serious collectors or cloacapapyrologists as you know.  I think most people would regard people following this hobby as nutters and probably would be well advised to collect something else like; duct tape, tea bags or barbed wire

Regards John

‘Excellent research John 🤣

11 minutes ago, Sir Cumference said:

Every time I'm on board, I think to myself that I really must bring a couple of better quality rolls with me on my next cruise - trouble is that I always forget when the time comes!

I'd forget about that idea.You'll get a lot my inconvenience than convenience in your convenience.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, brian1 said:

I'd forget about that idea.You'll get a lot my inconvenience than convenience in your convenience.

Indeed, the only things that should go down the pan are your 'products' and the cruise lines special easy dissolve toilet paper.

no telling people though, apparently someone tried to stuff a false arm, or was it a leg, down there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, davecttr said:

Indeed, the only things that should go down the pan are your 'products' and the cruise lines special easy dissolve toilet paper.

no telling people though, apparently someone tried to stuff a false arm, or was it a leg, down there.

That must have been Cunard,they cost you an arm and a leg.

Several toilets were blocked when I was on Oriana last year including mine. I spoke to the friendly plumber who came to unblock them. He said it was a combination of baby wipes (he's said it's usually baby wipes) and someone bringing thick soft toilet paper which the system simply cannot handle. So please don't bring your own, unless you want your toilet and about a dozen others to block!

Edited by Clodia
typo

1 hour ago, Clodia said:

Several toilets were blocked when I was on Oriana last year including mine. I spoke to the friendly plumber who came to unblock them. He said it was a combination of baby wipes (he's said it's usually baby wipes) and someone bringing thick soft toilet paper which the system simply cannot handle. So please don't bring your own, unless you want your toilet and about a dozen others to block!

So true .... we've been told the same.

It's OK to bring "baby wipes" as long as you dispose of them in the trash can and not the toilet.