Nespresso ??

Hambagahle

Just read on the Regent site that some suites on Voyager have Nespresso machines...   Would like to know if this is a new move (if so - wonderful!) or not.  Nespresso is just wonderful and when renting houses in Florida in the past winters I took my Nespresso machine AND capsules with me.  If Regent is putting Nespresso machines into suites on the Splendour I shall be a very happy camper!   And if this is the case I assume they also provide the capsules ?  If not - I will bring them...

On a recent Regent cruise on Explorer in an Explorer Suite, they still had the llily coffee machine with the reusable plastic capsules.  No comparison to the Nespresso machines which I certainly hope they are changing to. 

• Haha 1

Good news indeed if Regent is moving from the Illy machines to Nespresso.

@Hambagahle, where did you obtain this useful info?

I have looked on Regent's website and find that the amenities lists for the suites on Splendor shows neither Illy or Nespresso machines.

Although, on board, we tend to order room  service coffee or visit the Barista in Coffee Connection.

Haven’t heard a word.  Nespresso may be good but is not popular in the U.S.  They do have Nespresso on Celebrity for people staying in suites.  If Regent had Starbucks, many people in the U.S would be thrilled - every Starbucks where we live is crowded all of the time.  

I still strongly feel that you cannot make everyone happy with coffee.  Some like it weak, some like it medium and others like it almost as strong as Turkish coffee.  IMHO, the best coffee is the French press on Explorer (not on other ships - at least not yet).

38 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

Haven’t heard a word.  Nespresso may be good but is not popular in the U.S.  They do have Nespresso on Celebrity for people staying in suites.  If Regent had Starbucks, many people in the U.S would be thrilled - every Starbucks where we live is crowded all of the time.  

I still strongly feel that you cannot make everyone happy with coffee.  Some like it weak, some like it medium and others like it almost as strong as Turkish coffee.  IMHO, the best coffee is the French press on Explorer (not on other ships - at least not yet).

Your right.  The last time on the Mariner they had it on the menu, had the coffee but not the press.  They told us the press(s) are on the ship-just couldn't find them.  It's not a big deal, but if it's still on the menu I'm gong to ask🙄---if you don't ask you don't get.

56 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

Not sure how one can say that Nespresso is not popular in the US. Maybe just personal opinion. Although I cannot quote any statistics on its share of the coffee pod industry in the US, it has certainly increased its share if you consider the ever growing retail shops and boutiques and considerable increase in various versions of their coffee machines in virtually every department store and home goods venues such as Williams Sonoma (who also sells the pods), and massive advertising with George Clooney as its spokesperson. 

I had also remembered reading something last year that stated Nestle had purchased the Starbucks retail single serve distribution rights for over $7b. And , I can say that if I discover a Nespresso in my cruise ship suite or hotel room, I am and very pleased as it makes a great cup of coffee comparable to any super automatic espresso machine from a coffee house   (and pods are recyclable).  

1 hour ago, Focused1 said:

Not sure how one can say that Nespresso is not popular in the US. Maybe just personal opinion. Although I cannot quote any statistics on its share of the coffee pod industry in the US, it has certainly increased its share if you consider the ever growing retail shops and boutiques and considerable increase in various versions of their coffee machines in virtually every department store and home goods venues such as Williams Sonoma (who also sells the pods), and massive advertising with George Clooney as its spokesperson. 

I had also remembered reading something last year that stated Nestle had purchased the Starbucks retail single serve distribution rights for over $7b. And , I can say that if I discover a Nespresso in my cruise ship suite or hotel room, I am and very pleased as it makes a great cup of coffee comparable to any super automatic espresso machine from a coffee house   (and pods are recyclable).  

I am a west coast person and this is where my opinion comes from.  Currently in Los Angeles - going out to eat every meal at different restaurants (Hollywood, San Fernando Valley, etc.) and have not seen Nespresso anywhere nor have I seen any type of ad.  The same goes for Washington state (where we live)- nothing in Seattle or anywhere that we have been in Washington (also have not seen it in Vancouver, BC).

I see tons of Starbucks and a few Woods Coffee,  I really wanted to taste Nespresso when I read about it on CC but could not find a place anywhere — certainly not in any airports or cities that we visit.  Didn’t taste it until our mini cruise on Celebrity.  My DH (a big coffee lover) thought that it was okay but nothing special.  I tried it as well and wasn’t impressed.

I’ve seen George Clooney doing ads but I had no clue what they were for (I fast forward ads on television - never watch them for more than a second).  I did see a Nespresso store somewhere in our international travels but cannot ready imagine that it would be considered “popular” in the U.S.  If there was anyplace that I expected to see it it was Los Angeles.

Nespresso is popular for home machines, I think, rather than retail stores.  I have one and it is very good.  They are popular in Europe, again, I think, as a home brew option rather than a stand alone store.   I personally find that Illy machines bitter and not to my taste.  On the other hand, I love nespresso.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, forgap said:

Nespresso is popular for home machines, I think, rather than retail stores.  I have one and it is very good.  They are popular in Europe, again, I think, as a home brew option rather than a stand alone store.   I personally find that Illy machines bitter and not to my taste.  On the other hand, I love nespresso.  

Yes, it is popular for home machines and hotels, and some cruise lines. You would rarely, if ever, find it on a menu in a US restaurant nor do they have coffee shops, just boutiques in select cities, one of which is in Seattle area. I live half of the year in Washington State. Seems very popular with our friends in the area who mostly order online. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the explanation.  Now it makes sense why we have not seen it (we do not live near Seattle and only visit there occasionally so did not see the boutiques).  

I’m not a big coffee lover but am over the moon when I can have a Starbucks Mocha Frappachino (probably misspelled).  When I do have coffee, I like it strong  (not bitter) with a little sugar substitute but no cream or milk.

Although Regent uses Illy Espresso blend coffee, it is not consistent across the ship.  So much depends upon the machine that is brewing the coffee.  My DH won’t drink coffee in La Veranda or CR but, as I posted earlier, he really likes the French press on Explorer.  If that is not available, he uses the machine in the Coffee Connection.

On Celebrity, there is a serve yourself machine with the little capsules that you can choose from.  At one time I considered purchasing a machine for at home but my DH prefers grinding and measuring his own coffee for the one cup that he has per day.

2 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

I am a west coast person and this is where my opinion comes from.  Currently in Los Angeles - going out to eat every meal at different restaurants (Hollywood, San Fernando Valley, etc.) and have not seen Nespresso anywhere nor have I seen any type of ad.  The same goes for Washington state (where we live)- nothing in Seattle or anywhere that we have been in Washington (also have not seen it in Vancouver, BC).

I see tons of Starbucks and a few Woods Coffee,  I really wanted to taste Nespresso when I read about it on CC but could not find a place anywhere — certainly not in any airports or cities that we visit.  Didn’t taste it until our mini cruise on Celebrity.  My DH (a big coffee lover) thought that it was okay but nothing special.  I tried it as well and wasn’t impressed.

I’ve seen George Clooney doing ads but I had no clue what they were for (I fast forward ads on television - never watch them for more than a second).  I did see a Nespresso store somewhere in our international travels but cannot ready imagine that it would be considered “popular” in the U.S.  If there was anyplace that I expected to see it it was Los Angeles.

Nespresso is more comparable to Keurig:  It's a complete coffee brewing system primarily for home use that uses a pressurized machine plus special coffee-filled capsules to brew a cup at a time -- not really comparable to Starbucks.  You're unlikely to find a "Nespresso Coffee Shop" or even Nespresso coffee offered for sale already brewed by the cup.  There's a Nespresso Boutique in Bellevue Square that sells the machines and capsules, and they're available on Amazon (or you can order directly from Nespresso, just like you can order Keurig machines/coffee capsules from Keurig).  Overall, Nespresso ranks #2 in the US behind Keurig in the coffee capsule / brewing system category.  I like it better than Keurig, but not enough to invest in a separate machine.

HAL uses the Nespresso machines/capsules in the Neptune and Pinnacle suites.  It's good but not spectacular coffee -- better than Keurig, for sure.  I used it maybe 5 or 6 times on my last cruise (28-day cruise).  

Lana in Bellingham, WA

• Like 1

Lana — it sounds as if Nespresso is popular on premium cruise lines since both HAL and Celebrity have it.  Does anyone know what coffee brands are used on Silversea (I’ve been on Silversea but don’t remember), Crystal or Seabourn?

11 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

Lana — it sounds as if Nespresso is popular on premium cruise lines since both HAL and Celebrity have it.  Does anyone know what coffee brands are used on Silversea (I’ve been on Silversea but don’t remember), Crystal or Seabourn?

Seabourn provides Nespresso machines in their suites but can’t remember what kind of coffee they used in their public spaces, and Silversea uses Illy machines in suites (horrible bitter) and Illy in public areas. 

I happen to know the wife of the Chairman of Nestlé and she told me some time ago that Nespresso is just breaking into the US market - is a relatively new player there - and has had to alter its machines somewhat to accommodate the US taste for a large cup of weakish coffee (not at all what we drink here in Switzerland).  Nespresso is really "the new kid on the block" in the US and though there is no problem ordering coffee and machines via its website it doesn't have the network of shops that it does here.   Personally I cannot imagine drinking anything else (but of course I have to when travelling!!)

Where did I see the info?  I was looking for a future cruise and found an itin. I liked ont he Voyager.  So I looked at its top suites for info as to what was included and there I saw "Nespresso machine".  That really got my attention!  All the more so because I find the coffee served on Regent is close to disgusting (we have had many discussions on this before) and I make my morning coffee from the machine at the pool area and carry it into la Veranda!  Others do the same.

We moved to Nespresso well over 10 years ago.  Of course it is a Swiss product and apparently 50% of the households in Switzerland have a Nespresso machine.  I got tired of trying to get the grind right when grinding my own beans and since we started drinking Nespresso I have never had a bad cup of coffee.  I drink a mix of "Intenso" - dark espresso - and the same flavour but decaf to cut down on the caffeine.  It is wonderful.  And when I drink the decaf on its own I cannot tell the difference in the flavour.  Most decaf coffees have a certain "taste" to them.  Nespresso's doesn't.  has all the taste and none of the jitters!!

I hope that the machines in the suites on Splendour will be Nespresso...

Edited by Hambagahle
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hambagahle, I love the way you describe your coffee habit!  When my father was alive, he had a Nespresso “ intenso” in an espresso cup after dinner each night.  To mix it up, I’d offer him an “affogato” which is espresso over ice cream.  

He loved Nespresso so so so much that we had to get him a machine for his home in Massachusetts after he spent the winter with us.  My job was to keep the pods delivered to him regularly!  He made it to his 99th birthday with the help of Nespresso (and wine!).   

• Like 2

I have a DiLonghi Magnifica espresso machine at home so I don't worry about getting the grind right - get it set once, you're pretty much good to go.  Of course, I can't take that with me when I travel.  We had the Illy espresso machine in our suite earlier this year and I wasn't overly impressed.  It was drinkable but a bit on the bitter side for my tastes.  I've had Nespresso before at a friend's house and was pretty happy with the coffee that it turned out.  If I didn't have the DiLonghi I'd seriously consider a Nespresso.

@forgap - love the stories about your father - maybe Nespresso and vino is the secret to long life!

6 hours ago, Hambagahle said:

I hope that the machines in the suites on Splendour will be Nespresso...

It does appear that both Nespresso and Illy machines/pods, together with Tea Forte, are now being supplied in Grand & Master suites on Regent ships.

However since they are not specifically listed for Splendor, as they are on the other ships, I suggest you contact Regent to request a Nespresso machine with pods in your suite.

Forgap - Nespresso and wine (perhaps not together!) is a wonderful means of extending one's life.  I hope to follow your father's example!!   And to paraphrase Samuel Johnson - "when a man is tired of Nespresso (or wine) he is tired of life"  !!

Flossie009 - I will make the request to Regent Customer Service today!   Thank you for the info.

Gerry

Was in a Master suite in March and it had an Illy machine.  Ronrick will be in a Grand suite (I think) on his upcoming cruise this week so perhaps he will let us know.

I doubt if someone in a lower category suite could request and receive the Nespresso machine any more than they could request other Grand/Master suite benefits.  

We will certainly give Nespresso another try if there is a machine in our suite on our next cruise.

In terms of the grind - my DH wants the option to decide whether he wants a courser grind for our French press machine or a fine grind for drip coffee.  Taking away that option would not work for him and is why I did not buy him any machine with pre-measured pods.

On 4/21/2019 at 1:51 PM, Travelcat2 said:

There is a Nespresso boutique in the Bay in Vancouver. Not many boutiques but I have at least 6 coworkers I see weekly with their Nespresso bags and checking the store locator, there’s a boutique in Macy’s in Seattle. 

Edited by Cruise Junky

Cruise Junky - thank you for the locations near us.  I really did not understand that Nespresso is mainly for home use.  

Flossie - upper suites have had Tea Forte in the Master and Grand suites for at least 1-2 years.  Unfortunately they do not carry my favorite flavor (which is offered in Red Ginger on Oceania).  

With all of this coffee talk, I wish that Regent had Starbucks onboard (NCL's Bliss does and likely so do other NCL ships).  

2 minutes ago, flossie009 said:

I am sure Regent would supply them if requested

Are you referring to the tea or Nespresso machines?  If Nespresso machines, very curious as to why you feel that Regent would give a top category benefit to other guests?  If they did, likely everyone would want one.  I am not familiar with Master/Grand suite benefits that are offered to other suite categories (not even Seven Seas suites).

It seems that Regent is continuing to offer more benefits to Master/Grand suite benefits.  These benefits are invisible to other passengers which is exactly what I am in favor of.  I don't mind the benefits Regent gives to upper categories or for loyalty.  Just do not want to see "visible" priority benefits on Regent as it is too much like a "class system" and, hopefully, Regent is too classy to do that!

You said:

Flossie - upper suites have had Tea Forte in the Master and Grand suites for at least 1-2 years.  Unfortunately they do not carry my favorite flavor (which is offered in Red Ginger on Oceania).”

To which I replied:

I am sure Regent would supply them if requested

........,, meaning that you should be able to obtain your favourite flavour of tea if you so desire. Simply trying to be helpful.

No one has suggested supplying top tier benefits to other suites. My understanding was that the OP, @Hambagahle, favours Master or Grand suites.